***The Nebraska Defense - Blackshirts 2022***

suh_fan93

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not sure what the down and distance was here but to me the only reason you would line up like this is if you were trying to make sure your DE's were getting one on one match ups.  If GAs wanted they could have run up the middle with the QB and had two lead blockers with the center and rb.  numbers all day.  

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Not sure what the down and distance was here but to me the only reason you would line up like this is if you were trying to make sure your DE's were getting one on one match ups.  If GAs wanted they could have run up the middle with the QB and had two lead blockers with the center and rb.  numbers all day.  

I posted those two clips as examples of total breakdowns in the defense, not because we don't have talent.  But, because either the players make bad decisions or the defense they are running makes no sense.  Physical talent has nothing to do with how those plays turned out.  

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

It was 3rd and 10+, so going wide 9 with the DEs and letting them loose is appealing. But it still needs to be a sound defense because they don't need to pass, and even if they do the QB can just scramble up the middle when the entire DL goes outside. My guess is somebody lost their pass rush lane that should have kept them more in the middle. If you're going to show this look you should at least stunt a DE inside or something, you have to have more than just Reimer responsible for the entire middle of the line.

I have never liked the idea of the Blackshirts as a reward, unrewarding for game play.

Call me old school, but hand them out in fall camp.  Stick with your guys.

However, the early season firing of SF and replacing him with HCMJo comes with new expectations.  So, this is okay to me RN (pulling Blackshirts and starting over).  

I saw this when I rewatched the game.  #15 goes out in coverage when there are already enough DBs to cover everyone.  He leaves his spot making a huge hole for the QB to make an easy TD.  Again, this has nothing to do with talent level at the LB position.  It has everything to do with someone who doesn't know what they are supposed to do.  And, it speaks to people who think we should just throw true freshmen out there because they are the more athletic player.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

I have never liked the idea of the Blackshirts as a reward, unrewarding for game play.

Call me old school, but hand them out in fall camp.  Stick with your guys.

However, the early season firing of SF and replacing him with HCMJo comes with new expectations.  So, this is okay to me RN (pulling Blackshirts and starting over).  

I agree and agree that this is different.  Start fresh.  It's a whole new season starting this Saturday.  

• TBH 1

34 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

This tradition has also died as the meaning has evolved.

Hand out the Blackshirts to distinguish starter vs backups. Have some nuts to define the starter and then force competition in practice and see results in the game to steal it from the “starter.”

This is just something extra the team overthinks. 

• TBH 1