Big Ten Media

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...Notre Dame....you can be happy with your "hopeful" $75,000,000 and stay independent, or you can come over and get $100,000,000.

Report I read is ND gets $60 mil, not 75.  And I’m not sure how the math comes out if ND joined Big Ten.  If they’re only worth 60, then adding them would cut Big Ten #s by about $4 mil per team or maybe 96 million.  But hard to say really because it could be a smaller pie as the networks get the best of both because they don’t have to have ND going thru a much tougher schedule (probably losing 2-3 more games a year.  If so, ND drops in value over time.  Big Ten needs to add TVs and geography with ‘’ losers” to fb.  

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Interesting tidbits in bold.

NU/Iowa Black Friday in primetime?

Also, y'all are going to need to subscribe the The 'C0ck as I'm guessing they'll be putting the big draws on there to drive subs.

https://theathletic.com/3518414/2022/08/18/big-ten-tv-deal-details-rights/

CBS, FOX and NBC will each televise designated Big Ten football championship games during the term of the agreements. Fox will broadcast the league’s title game in the odd years (2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029), while CBS will broadcast it in 2024 and 2028, and NBC will air it in 2026.

Fox/FS1 will carry up to 27 regular-season football games in 2023, then up to 32 games per year from 2024 onward. BTN will broadcast up to 41 games in 2023 and a maximum of 50 games per year afterward.

NBC will broadcast 16 regular-season Big Ten games in 2023 and then 15 games per year from 2024 onward. Games on NBC will simultaneously stream on Peacock. NBC will carry a primetime game on Black Friday as well.

Peacock will exclusively stream four conference football games per year in addition to four nonconference games involving Big Ten teams.

Because the SEC will remain on CBS through the end of the 2023 season, the Big Ten will have a partial schedule on the network its first year. CBS will carry seven Big Ten football games as well as regular season and postseason men’s basketball as well as, for the first time, the women’s basketball tournament final.

Starting in 2024, CBS will broadcast up to 15 Big Ten football games per season, including an afternoon game on Black Friday. All of those games will be broadcast on CBS, and every game CBS airs will also stream on Paramount+.

I was wrong about NBC putting games onto the 'C0ck, but it's only 8 games per year.  That's an average of less than 1 game per week.  It will be interesting to see if they try to put bigger names on that service (to drive subscriptions), or if they are told by the conference that's where the lesser games go.  Are you all going to subscribe to Peacock just to watch Rutgers vs. Maryland?  I know I won't. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I was wrong about NBC putting games onto the 'c$%k, but it's only 8 games per year.  That's an average of less than 1 game per week.  It will be interesting to see if they try to put bigger names on that service (to drive subscriptions), or if they are told by the conference that's where the lesser games go.  Are you all going to subscribe to Peacock just to watch Rutgers vs. Maryland?  I know I won't. 

The article said the deal could reach nearly 10 billion if more teams are added.  10 billion divided by 20, is 500 million.  So, I have to assume that if ND joins, the per school payouts wouldn't decrease.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

The article said the deal could reach nearly 10 billion if more teams are added.  10 billion divided by 20, is 500 million.  So, I have to assume that if ND joins, the per school payouts wouldn't decrease.

Yeah, once the number of teams reached 16, the lower payout per team is not as big of a deal as more teams are added.  When going from 12 to 14 teams, the piece of the pie went from 8.33% to 7.14%.  Going to 16 teams is 6.25% of the pie, less than a 1% change.  If going to 20 teams (with the right teams added) brings a lot more value to the overall conference, each team will benefit.

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I was wrong about NBC putting games onto the 'C0ck, but it's only 8 games per year.  That's an average of less than 1 game per week.  It will be interesting to see if they try to put bigger names on that service (to drive subscriptions), or if they are told by the conference that's where the lesser games go.  Are you all going to subscribe to Peacock just to watch Rutgers vs. Maryland?  I know I won't. 

Kind of sucks for those of us without high speed internet access making streaming impossible but like you say it isn't very many games and I doubt they will try to put the marquee matchups like OSU/Mich on a pay service.

• Plus1 1
37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It will be interesting to see if they try to put bigger names on that service (to drive subscriptions), or if they are told by the conference that's where the lesser games go.

My guess is that it will be a Thursday/Friday night package, so for conference games you won't be getting OSU/Mich or even Iowa/Penn St.  But you will get NU/Rutgers or Wisc/Purdue or OSU/Maryland games on that package ("name" team playing at a "lesser" team).

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Red Five said:

My guess is that it will be a Thursday/Friday night package, so for conference games you won't be getting OSU/Mich or even Iowa/Penn St.  But you will get NU/Rutgers or Wisc/Purdue or OSU/Maryland games on that package ("name" team playing at a "lesser" team).

I'm willing to bet that tOSU and Michigan NEVER play on the 'Cock  

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Yeah, my thoughts align with you.  Although I think Ohio State and Michigan have enough power where 1) they will never play on a Thursday or Friday night and 2) they will never have a game on Peacock.

• Plus1 1

It may well be that Big Ten additions are already pretty well determined but no announcements and the devilish little details were subject to getting the media ducks in a row.  Don’t be surprised if a couple more west coast schools hop in the Big Ten Express sooner rather than later.  I could see the new Big Ten at 18 or even 20.  

Oregon, Wash, Stanford, Utah, ASU, or ??   I would think those PAC schools are feeling left out.  Neb will be flying west a lot.  But the fall weather road games would beat the Great Lakes snow belt.  Sucks for driving trips though.