Who should our next HC be?

27 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Read his bio - he would be a fantastic hire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_O'Brien_(American_football)

Successful Big 10 head coaching experience- he is the guy who had to coach 2 years at Penn State short 40 scholarships due to the sanctions.  He went 8-4 and 7-5 and was named Big Ten coach of the year, National coach of the year by ESPN and won the Paul "Bear" Bryant award.  He then left for the NFL where he took over a 2 win Houston team and made them a winner in year one.  As the head coach he won the AFC South 4 times in his 6 years.  Not a bad resume and it doesn't hurt that he is gaining experience in Nick Saban's system.

The guy can coach and he has a resume that will land him a big job after this season.  

Can he recruit?  Being the QB coach at Alabama recruits for itself (and Saban takes the lead on the guys he really wants).

The B1G coaching experience was 10 years ago.  A lot of things have changed in 10 years.

Also wouldn't he jump to the NFL after the first hint of college success (like how he bailed on PSU)?  He interviewed for NFL jobs after this past season.

• Plus1 1

LMAO, every name on these lists are the same exact names that were on the list 5 years ago, and 8 years ago, and 15 years ago. The only one missing is Mark Richt. 

The only thing interesting about them now is that most of them have now been fired once or twice. Yup, let's get a failed coach to turn us around! It worked so good for the last school that hired them, haha.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Can he recruit?  Being the QB coach at Alabama recruits for itself (and Saban takes the lead on the guys he really wants).

The B1G coaching experience was 10 years ago.  A lot of things have changed in 10 years.

Also wouldn't he jump to the NFL after the first hint of college success (like how he bailed on PSU)?  He interviewed for NFL jobs after this past season.

He pulled in 1 five star recruit (Cristian Hackenburg) and 6 different 4 star players even though Penn State wasn't going to be able to play postseason games.  I would call that fantastic recruiting convincing those guys to join the team in light of the Sandusky Scandal.  

I would agree some things have changed but we would be hard pressed to find someone with more proven experience.

He might but if he turned Nebraska around, would we care?  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Farms said:

I really hate that this thread is at 26 pages two games into the season..

Yeah tell me about it. There is still a season to be played. So disrespectful to the coaches and players trying to win. Regardless on how  I feel that they should have a better product or not you won't be hearing from me about who should be taking over. SF can still turn the ship around.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I would agree some things have changed but we would be hard pressed to find someone with more proven experience.

I would take a guy like Matt Campbell over him 100 times out of 100.

BOB has coached in CFB 4 out of the last 16 years (2 years as a HC and 2 years as a OC).  He has no recruiting ties to the midwest.  He hasn't been in charge of a college program for 10 years.

MC has been a CFB head coach for 12 years, all in the midwest, he can recruit this area.  He has made ISU respectable (5 straight winning seasons, no worse than 4th in the B12).  He knows how to lead a program in the portal/NIL era.

6 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Yeah tell me about it. There is still a season to be played. So disrespectful to the coaches and players trying to win. Regardless on how  I feel that they should have a better product or not you won't be hearing from me about who should be taking over. SF can still turn the ship around.

We get it, you are a much better fan than us.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
17 minutes ago, Red Five said:

We get it, you are a much better fan than us.

It has nothing to do with that if im so called better. Since its my believe that every game is different and we are 1-1 right now and there are plenty of games still to be played SF can still turn it around. I get it he hasn't done anything to change anybodies opinion that he will do it but he still has games to be played. That's all im saying. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I would take a guy like Matt Campbell over him 100 times out of 100.

BOB has coached in CFB 4 out of the last 16 years (2 years as a HC and 2 years as a OC).  He has no recruiting ties to the midwest.  He hasn't been in charge of a college program for 10 years.

MC has been a CFB head coach for 12 years, all in the midwest, he can recruit this area.  He has made ISU respectable (5 straight winning seasons, no worse than 4th in the B12).  He knows how to lead a program in the portal/NIL era.

I have nothing against Matt but these results don't exactly get me excited...

image.png.03c976a9d0f9468dfb30d4c1ee2e8000.png

Matt is a good coach but I don't have the same confidence that you do.  I realize Iowa State is a tougher place to sell to recruits but...  His team has only finished ranked one time 6 seasons.  In his 6 years he has had a total of 5 four star recruits and he hasn't done anything to mention in the transfer portal.  Iowa State has lost way more than they have gained in the portal/NIL era.      

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

It has nothing to do with that if im so called better. Since its my believe that every game is different and we are 1-1 right now and there are plenty of games still to be played SF can still turn it around. I get it he hasn't done anything to change anybodies opinion that he will do it but he still has games to be played. That's all im saying. 

I think the problem is that in Season Five Frost should be coaching a roster of experience-heavy, hand-picked recruits. And with so much at stake and two favorable games to start the season there is no change at all. Nebraska may even be slipping backwards from its gritty 3-9 season. 

I will root for Nebraska every game and still hold out hope (27%) they can turn things around, but I will still be a loyal fan if I think Frost needs to be gone midseason. It will be out of respect for the program, the players, the fans and Scott himself. 

Let's play the games and see. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I'm with you. Honestly what was the point of bringing him back if you're going to give up on him after literally the first game that we almost won.  Was Saturday pretty? No it was not.  But some of these people forget that in Bo's last season, where he went 9-4, it took a miracle from Ameer Abdullah to beat McNeese State.  Am I bummed how the season started, yes.  Do I still think we have the pieces to have a winning season, yes. Am I very skeptical, yes.  But I'm at least willing to see it through. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Matt is a good coach but I don't have the same confidence that you do.  I realize Iowa State is a tougher place to sell to recruits but...  His team has only finished ranked one time 6 seasons.  In his 6 years he has had a total of 5 four star recruits and he hasn't done anything to mention in the transfer portal.  Iowa State has lost way more than they have gained in the portal/NIL era.      

We did this in 2017.  Almost no coach had the kind of record we thought Nebraska deserved. 

5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

How is he not Mike Riley? Nebraska would be equivalent to Riley's stint with the Chargers. Middling success at a bottom tier school- he can to more with less!!!! Goes on to the big boys an chokes. - He should stay at Iowa State and have the stadium named after him Ala Frank Solich.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We did this in 2017.  Almost no coach had the kind of record we thought Nebraska deserved. 

I agree completely but I question the reasoning why we would choose him specifically if we are hypothetically going to be able to pick and choose.