Who should our next HC be?

36 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, he has a lot of good points.  Actually, it would be a great disappoint if Trev doesn't try to bring Urb on - at least make him say no.  As the guy said, Nebraska Nice needs to die.  We've neglected the things that really matter for too long.  If we have a desire to truly compete at our level we need to 'hire a proven winner at the level we are playing at' as the guy says.   That means that brining in a G5 coach, a DC/OC will mean that the coach will have a learning curve jumping up to the Big 10 conference. 

The only issue is that is pretty easily debunked since Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Baylor, and Oklahoma 2x, have all hired a position coach and had success. Oregon seems be back on track with a position coach and Tennessee, Ole miss, and maybe Florida are on the way with g5 coaches. A&M went and hired the sure thing and they could probably have had more success with an easier schedule but also they just lost to app state. 

3 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

The only issue is that is pretty easily debunked since Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Baylor, and Oklahoma 2x, have all hired a position coach and had success. Oregon seems be back on track with a position coach and Tennessee, Ole miss, and maybe Florida are on the way with g5 coaches. A&M went and hired the sure thing and they could probably have had more success with an easier schedule but also they just lost to app state. 

Now tell me what the difference is between all those schools and Nebraska.  Oh right, they all have tons of recruits right near by, save Oregon who has the cool factor going for it. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, Bad2theBONES said:

With Trev making “so many calls” to get peoples opinions. Let’s hope he calls this guy in Myrtle Beach! 

Well, Trev has had plenty of time to get hundreds of outside opinions.  And even more time to personally observe and get inside opinions.  In the end, holding your finger up to see which way the wind is blowing doesn’t mean much.  He has to determine what kind of team and program Neb will have.   It needs to be Nebraska’s, not somebody else’s.   Unique and peculiar.  

Nebraska is unlike anywhere else.  You decide on the type of team, identity, etc and then hire a HC accordingly.  Not just any ‘good’ HC will do.  Nebraska is a design-build project, and doesn’t come with cookie cutter blueprints.  

This seems to be the problem with coaching hires recently.  Just go out a hire some ‘hot’ name running everybody’s latest fad schemes.    Offenses and defenses are NOT one size fits all.  

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Who was making that point? Certainly not that rambling guy. Depending on your view of success Whittingham is the only coach I can think of that fits that. 

I don't know, most of this board is just incoherent rambling at the moment.  Whittingham is a good one, been there for a long time.  I just think this is going to be a difficult ask for anyone, and if fan support finally starts to dwindle we are going the way of the Gophers.

• Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Lance Leipold addresses the rumors. Says his focus is building KU into a winner for the long haul. But doesn't say he would not be a candidate for another job either.

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/nebraska-coaching-search-lance-leipold-addresses-rumors-linking-him-to-other-jobs/

Leipold surely took the Kansas job knowing that if he got them to even halfway respectable and qualified for a bowl game every now and then, he would be able to have a very long a comfortable career as a P5 coach, but also knowing that if he was a success after a couple of years he would be able to hit the lottery with a huge contract at one of the money schools. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

53 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Okay, now do all the position coaches and G5 coaches that teams have missed on. I'll hang up and listen.

21 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't know, most of this board is just incoherent rambling at the moment.  Whittingham is a good one, been there for a long time.  I just think this is going to be a difficult ask for anyone, and if fan support finally starts to dwindle we are going the way of the Gophers.

Def agreed with all of that. 

5 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Okay, now do all the position coaches and G5 coaches that teams have missed on. I'll hang up and listen.

Oh you want me to research your argument for you. Easy then can't think of one. That was easy

38 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Nebraska is unlike anywhere else.  You decide on the type of team, identity, etc and then hire a HC accordingly.  Not just any ‘good’ HC will do.  Nebraska is a design-build project, and doesn’t come with cookie cutter blueprints.  

This seems to be the problem with coaching hires recently.  Just go out a hire some ‘hot’ name running everybody’s latest fad schemes.    Offenses and defenses are NOT one size fits all.  

Not sure I agree with you. Chadwell is the only person I've even seen mentioned that runs a unique scheme and I don't think he's going to be coaching at Nebraska.

There was a small run on hiring out of the Briles tree (Dino Babers, Sean Lewis, Montgomery at Tulsa) and Briles was part of a run out of the Leach tree but Nebraska's never really gone after scheme in hiring. You can make the argument that Riley was a scheme hire but I don't think that's a very strong argument given the conflicts with Bo weren't based on offensive scheme. Not like the perimeter west coast was novel.

I do agree with your point about Nebraska being design-build, so let's take a look at the design-builders on the market. These are guys who've elevated poor programs steadily and consistently. Most have done it more than once. A lot of these guys have had their names tossed out there:

- Matt Rhule (Temple, Baylor)

- Bill O'Brien (Penn State)

- Matt Campbell (Toledo, ISU)

- Lance Leipold (Buffalo, KU(?))

- PJ Fleck (WMU, Minnesota)

- Chris Petersen (Boise, UW)

- Chip Kelly (Oregon - with $ome help)

- Dan Mullen (Miss State)

- Lane Kiffin (FAU, Miss)

- Mark Stoops (UK)

- Bob Stoops (OU)

- Mike Leach (TT, Wazzu)

- Bill Snyder (KSU)

- Mike Gundy (OSU)

- Pat Narduzzi (Pitt)

Most of these guys are great teachers and good schemers who steadily improved the quality of the product. A few of these guys are promoters who brought in fans and improved the brand (Fleck and Kiffin, Gundy to some extent). Nebraska needs the former, obviously the brand is all that's left. Outside of these names, most of them worked under a great coach themselves as a younger coordinator. Very few, if any were established P5 coaches when they arrived at their last stops. Leach and Petersen being the two best examples.

A lot of people are overlooking Jim Leonhard here but I see a ton of Bob Stoops in him and I think he's got the elite teaching skills which show up in his development and on the field every week. Probably the best DC in the country and possibly one of the best true coordinators. Look at Aranda, not only are there real ties between the two but watch an Aranda coaching clinic, the guy is a college professor. Same goes for Pete Golding but I don't see him getting a real look. Fantastic teacher. Muschamp has that same teaching ability but wasn't a great CEO. 

• Thanks 1