Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that Mickey has much better sideline demeanor and spirit to the players. Again, being better than Frost is a bear minimum. 

Yeah I mean very good point. I'm not saying I'm sold on him as out coach but that energy is good to have around if we can keep him as AHC/WR coach type role. Without having to force it on the new coach obviously 

• Plus1 1

Just now, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Yeah I mean very good point. I'm not saying I'm sold on him as out coach but that energy is good to have around if we can keep him as AHC/WR coach type role. Without having to force it on the new coach obviously 

I would love to keep Mickey around the program, and I think Trev would too. 

• Plus1 2

The bye week and the game against Illinois in Lincoln will tell us a lot about mickey’s ability to adjust and get the team ready. If he beats Illinois at home, I would not be opposed to giving him a three year contract to see what he can do. I like his body language on the sideline and the way he interacts with his players. They did not give up on him and played hard. 

‘’if he loses to Illinois at home after a bye week, I like Bielema for HC. If we cannot get urban or Kiffin, Bielema is my choice. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would love to keep Mickey around the program, and I think Trev would too. 

Our old friend Donte Williams was the interim last year at USC and they kept him. I don't see any reason why the new coach wouldn't want to keep a stud WR coach who's 1 of the best recruiters in the country.

As far as the coaching search I'm burnt out I don't care. Show me a guy who can either develope the lines or get them via NIL I'll show you a team who will win in this league. It's apparent we don't have the horses upfront to be a real contender this year.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

The bye week and the game against Illinois in Lincoln will tell us a lot about mickey’s ability to adjust and get the team ready. If he beats Illinois at home, I would not be opposed to giving him a three year contract to see what he can do. I like his body language on the sideline and the way he interacts with his players. They did not give up on him and played hard. 

‘’if he loses to Illinois at home after a bye week, I like Bielema for HC. If we cannot get urban or Kiffin, Bielema is my choice. 

You need to let the rest of the season play out, along with other options which are available.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, huskerfan74 said:

He is a good coach but I can't stand Bert... no thank you

• Plus1 3
Just now, Husker816 said:

Our old friend Donte Williams was the interim last year at USC and they kept him. I don't see any reason why the new coach wouldn't want to keep a stud WR coach who's 1 of the best recruiters in the country.

As far as the coaching search I'm burnt out I don't care. Show me a guy who can either develope the lines or get them via NIL I'll show you a team who will win in this league. It's apparent we don't have the horses upfront to be a real contender this year.

Oh yeah, I’m sick of all the banter and discussion and “coach X isn’t good enough”. I just want a coach who can bring back NU to respectability and winning seasons. 

• Fire 1
Just now, Husker816 said:

Unless we hire Urbs or Deion we will not move the needle much on recruiting.  That will come with winning.  So If I was Trev, I'd go all in for the recruiter guy (whoever that would be), but have the best developer as 1a.  Because we start to win, the developer will start to get the guys.....But we have been out of the development game for a while IMHO.  Still no idea how the hell Frost pulled those classes....

• Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Oh yeah, I’m sick of all the banter and discussion and “coach X isn’t good enough”. I just want a coach who can bring back NU to respectability and winning seasons

We start to win again, a lot of the other issues will fix themselves.  We just haven't won in forever.  Mentioned in the game thread that if we our 6th year with no bowl, that's between 72-90 additional practices that we will miss.  Possibly 12-15 with a new HC if they were hired before our respective bowl.  That and the previous staff's lack of anything really hurts us a tone.

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Unless we hire Urbs or Deion we will not move the needle much on recruiting.  That will come with winning.  So If I was Trev, I'd go all in for the recruiter guy (whoever that would be), but have the best developer as 1a.  Because we start to win, the developer will start to get the guys.....But we have been out of the development game for a while IMHO.  Still no idea how the hell Frost pulled those classes....

We have consistently put up top 25 classes. Bo had some good defensive lines and decent offensive lines.  There is zero reason schools like Illinois,Wisconsin, Illinois etc can produce good lines and Nebraska can't.  With proper coaching and a guy like Mickey who gets you production out of good WRs you have something there that can be competitive in the conference  

My weekly coach take as follows:

Right now I don't see a great realistic choice.  Urban in my opinion is out of this discussion.  Great if we end up with him, but in all reality, not seeing him wearing our shade of red.

I really like Leipold, but I don't think his defensive staff is any better than what we have presently.  I still think that he is a really good coach and do understand that this is only his second season, and really only has one full season of recruiting under his belt, but not impressed with his defense at all.  Kleiman is not a good choice because I don't think he wants this job because of its pressures.

Kiffin won't leave an SEC school right now to come here.  Bama is losing its mojo, Saban is starting to lose games that he always won.  The level of competition in the SEC is starting to level out and that means that someone like Kiffin is in a really good spot right now.  No pun intended, but the tide is turning in the SEC. 

That leaves us with MIckey.  I truly think that MJ is, and has to be the frontrunner as of right now.  IF we can not get a homerun hire, Urbs, then it might as well be Mickey at this point.  I just don't know if any of the other choices are any better than Mickey right now. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

My weekly coach take as follows:

Right now I don't see a great realistic choice.  Urban in my opinion is out of this discussion.  Great if we end up with him, but in all reality, not seeing him wearing our shade of red.

I really like Leipold, but I don't think his defensive staff is any better than what we have presently.  I still think that he is a really good coach and do understand that this is only his second season, and really only has one full season of recruiting under his belt, but not impressed with his defense at all.  Kleiman is not a good choice because I don't think he wants this job because of its pressures.

Kiffin won't leave an SEC school right now to come here.  Bama is losing its mojo, Saban is starting to lose games that he always won.  The level of competition in the SEC is starting to level out and that means that someone like Kiffin is in a really good spot right now.  No pun intended, but the tide is turning in the SEC. 

That leaves us with MIckey.  I truly think that MJ is, and has to be the frontrunner as of right now.  IF we can not get a homerun hire, Urbs, then it might as well be Mickey at this point.  I just don't know if any of the other choices are any better than Mickey right now. 

Mickey will go head to head with Bielema at home after a bye week. If he wins that game, he has my vote. If not, I still stand behind Bielema. He has an excellent defense and has proven that he can turn a horrible team into a contender in two years. The game against Illinois in two weeks will be mickey’s chance to show us if he has what it takes to be HC at Nebraska.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

LOL I'm not playing anything. I just know from multiple past confrontations that debating with you is useless.

It's not my fault that you don't really have any basis for your arguments, just bold statements.

Still not answering the questions?

Why would Bielema come here with Chicago in the back yard for recruiting?  Brett is from Illinois, just went to Iowa as a player.  I think he is home. 

I don't know who is a viable coaching option at this point.  I truly don't think that Urbs is in the conversation at this point, but he is the homerun hire.  I don't think that Kiffin is a real option, and don't know if he is any better than some others.  He had chances at USC and at Tennessee and never really lit the world on fire.  Rhule could be a choice, but I am sure he is getting money now from a fired contract and might not want back into the college game right away.   Rhule is the only other coach that I would consider over Mickey at this point.  I think he can build a roster with all positions covered. 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Why would Bielema come here with Chicago in the back yard for recruiting?  Brett is from Illinois, just went to Iowa as a player.  I think he is home. 

I don't know who is a viable coaching option at this point.  I truly don't think that Urbs is in the conversation at this point, but he is the homerun hire.  I don't think that Kiffin is a real option, and don't know if he is any better than some others.  He had chances at USC and at Tennessee and never really lit the world on fire.  Rhule could be a choice, but I am sure he is getting money now from a fired contract and might not want back into the college game right away.   Rhule is the only other coach that I would consider over Mickey at this point.  I think he can build a roster with all positions covered. 

Chicagoans don’t really care about Illinois football. The best players from Chicago are more likely to go to Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan, or Iowa over Illinois. Illinois is an afterthought in the state of Illinois (when it comes to football).