Who should our next HC be?

15 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Again, moving from Ole Miss to Nebraska would be a step down and make no sense

Tend to agree qualitatively, but here are a few things we could offer Lane:

- Stability (Lane can afford a 6-6 year here but it's hard to say he could afford it at UM)

- Money ($9mm isn't outside the realm of possibility, and we can offer longer than the terms legally allowed by the state of Miss (4 year cap)

- Assistant Pool (Our financial forecasting can be far more aggressive with B10 money projected)

- NIL Base 

- Fan Support/Fundraising (coaches hate getting involved in this stuff, less pressure to do so at NU)

- Easier schedule (you'll never get an easier conference stretch in the SEC than Indiana/@Illinois/Northwestern/@Penn State/Minnesota/UCLA/Iowa)

His path to the 12 team playoff at Ole Miss means getting through 5 of Arkansas/LSU/A&M/Alabama/Auburn/Oklahoma/Texas/Mississippi State in an average year, for less money. It makes more sense than people give it credit.

• Fire 3
1 minute ago, TonkaSker said:

- Stability (Lane can afford a 6-6 year here but it's hard to say he could afford it at UM)

- Money ($9mm isn't outside the realm of possibility, and we can offer longer than the terms legally allowed by the state of Miss (4 year cap)

- Assistant Pool (Our financial forecasting can be far more aggressive with B10 money projected)

- NIL Base 

- Fan Support/Fundraising (coaches hate getting involved in this stuff, less pressure to do so at NU)

- Easier schedule (you'll never get an easier conference stretch in the SEC than Indiana/@Illinois/Northwestern/@Penn State/Minnesota/UCLA/Iowa)

His path to the 12 team playoff at Ole Miss means getting through 5 of Kentucky/LSU/A&M/Alabama/Auburn/Oklahoma/Texas/Mississippi State in an average year, for less money. It makes more sense than people give it credit.

Yeah, after Riley left OU and Kelly left ND, I really don't think anything's off the table.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

While this may end up being accurate, my point being some people don't want him here because of his personality. That's insane to me. That's why I commented on your point about Deion. If Lane Kiffin or Deion wanted to coach here they are no brainers. 

Not for me.  I don't want him because his family is from Lexington and nothing good comes out of there.

Obviously joking...incase someone missed that.

Actually, I'm kind of warming up to the idea of him.

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Yeah, after Riley left OU and Kelly left ND, I really don't think anything's off the table.

We're not exactly USC or LSU from a recruiting perspective though. We're still an attractive program with the resources and brand value, but we are the OU/ND in those scenarios - except not as good.

10 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Those moves both made sense for at least half of the reasons I gave for Lane, but both also put those guys in better situations for recruiting.

That's our biggest knock. If the resources, facilities, fans, and administration in Nebraska were south of the mason-dixon or in LA, we'd be a top 10 job.

Think Florida or Auburn. Thankfully planes exist!

• Fire 1

Hey maybe we should go after Saban.  Finebaum doesn't think he'll last until 2028 at Bama :D

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/paul-finebaum-believes-nick-saban-s-future-is-uncertain/ar-AA136CzD?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=dbe9e62797144ffe8cbdecc6bbe71387

Got to admire what Saban has accomplished  and built at Bama. Maybe one of his understudies could make a great coach here.  Looking at you Lane Kiffin and kind of looking your way Bill O'Brian. 

Speaking of Saban, I think if Tom had stayed at Nebraska another 5 years - Tom's accomplishments would have rivaled Saban's.  Esp if the ball bounced differently in 1982 PSU and 1983 Miami and 1993 FSU- one play in each of those games would have been a NC for Tom.   "Ifs and Buts".   

• Fire 1
43 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

How's that been working for us?

Culture? That is something we as outsiders can never predict beforehand or assess with ongoing regimes. Frost blasted the Riley culture when he took over; we believed Frost would instill "traditional, blue-collar, hard-working culture." Instead (and only officially known to us outsiders once Frost was fired) Frost's culture was to give little effort. This is a common occurrence with new regimes across CFB and the NFL - we can't predict culture.

Blue-collar? That's a buzzword in regards to football. What the hell is a blue-collar team supposed to be? Eating from a lunch-pail during halftime? Players going to the mines with their canaries on their Sundays off? I greatly respect those in blue-collar workforces, but it doesn't apply to a university team of kids.

Traditional? We shouldn't practice the way these kids' grandpas did. We shouldn't model everything the way things were done under Tom 30+ years ago, or under Bob over a half-century ago. This would put us behind all other football programs - who utilize modern sports sciences, weight lifting programs, and nutrition programs. Imagine if a school, a hospital or a contractor took this approach.

All we should ask for is a:

- program that gives 100% effort.

- coaches who give 100% effort.

- players who give 100% effort.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

- NIL Base 

His path to the 12 team playoff at Ole Miss means getting through 5 of Arkansas/LSU/A&M/Alabama/Auburn/Oklahoma/Texas/Mississippi State in an average year, for less money. It makes more sense than people give it credit.

All good points.  I'd love to bring the Lane Train here. 

• Fire 2
19 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Does Deion have that much of a ego that he would welcome the challenge.

I mean, in that 60 Minutes interview on Friday, he ended the interview saying he will win at everything he does, in every facet of life. But not just win, dominate.

Whether that's true or not is certainly TBD, although he's got a pretty good record of it so far throughout his life.

Some may see it as ego. I see it as a winner's mentality which is something we could use at NU.

30 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We're not exactly USC or LSU from a recruiting perspective though. We're still an attractive program with the resources and brand value, but we are the OU/ND in those scenarios - except not as good.

Yeah, no I wasn't saying we're any of those schools in those scenarios. Just saying the fact that two successful coaches left blue blood programs in the same year, anything is possible these days.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Even though it might be the injection of revitalization that we need, I just don't see us hiring any of these flashy, big-name guys (Meyer, Deion, Kiffin, etc.) who would go against our traditional, blue-collar, hard-working culture.

How?

I don't care who we hire as long as we start winning. I don't care if we hire a WCO guy, as long as we start winning. I don't care if we hire a triple option guy, as long as we start winning.

• Plus1 1