Who should our next HC be?

36 minutes ago, hunnit said:

I think the experience thing is a weak excuse. Deions years of playing football at a high level winning Superbowls and national championships has to count for something.

He never won any national championships.  

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I think we all know the chances of them hiring Mickey are quite low at this point.

In Deion's case, his lack of P5 coaching experience (even as a coordinator) is a reasonable and glaring weakness in his resume. A lot of coaches say the right things and look good on camera until you ask them to beat Michigan on the road or Ohio State in a conference championship game. There isn't a lot of evidence to suggest Deion is qualified or capable of handling either of those challenges, but I look forward to seeing him get a shot at another division one school in the near future.

Well, aside from Urban (who has his own set of weaknesses), name a coach who’s any more guaranteed to be at that level than Deion is. You can certainly point to his lack of P5 experience as his weakness, I’m not arguing he doesn’t have that. But, you have to also look at the other things he brings to the table as strengths that can offset that. I mean, let’s just take Leipold as an example. Deion’s a better recruiter by a landslide. So, you’re willing to say that a guy like Leipold and his 1.5 years experience at a P5 with pretty bad recruiting results is better than Deion’s 2.5 years at a non P5 with phenomenal recruiting results? All the names have weaknesses.

Going to be crazy when not one name mentioned gets hired.  Not saying it's going to happen, but Cally and Riley come to mind......I like Prime.  As a player (Dallas Cowboy), coach and mentor to his team.  We absolutely suck right now.  Our D is ranked dead last or close to it. Every coach on that list has a slightly above .500 career except Klieman, Urbs, Chadwell (who lost to Old Dominion).  Those guys off the top fo my head and not an exact list.  Knock on Leipold is recruiting.  Same with a lot of others, or can't beat a ranked team.  Hell, go all in and get Prime.  Get the recruits and watch him win.  He'd assemble and all star staff.  I think MJ would be retained.  Why not? We'd get the talent we have sorely b!^@hed about for years and our record sure wouldn't be any worse than the past 8 years....

• Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 2
5 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Well, aside from Urban (who has his own set of weaknesses), name a coach who’s any more guaranteed to be at that level than Deion is. You can certainly point to his lack of P5 experience as his weakness, I’m not arguing he doesn’t have that. But, you have to also look at the other things he brings to the table as strengths that can offset that. I mean, let’s just take Leipold as an example. Deion’s a better recruiter by a landslide. So, you’re willing to say that a guy like Leipold and his 1.5 years experience at a P5 with pretty bad recruiting results is better than Deion’s 2.5 years at a non P5 with phenomenal recruiting results? All the names have weaknesses.

TO and Dabo enter the chat as two completely inexperienced in over their head HC's who have won multiple NC's....

21 minutes ago, lo country said:

TO and Dabo enter the chat as two completely inexperienced in over their head HC's who have won multiple NC's....

Who were on their respective teams staffs for a couple of years learning the nuances and work of recuiting, academia, and cultures of that program.  Pretty big deal.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, hunnit said:

Deion Sanders will be the best hire since Frank Solich. 

The biggest complaints I've heard for years from die hard fans is we can't recruit and there needs to be a culture change. Deion Sanders answers both of those. If Deion can get a 5* to JSU what do you think he can get to Lincoln.

Deion is a game changer. We are irrelevant but still have huge support and resources. There is probably no better time to take a chance like this then right now. We really have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

What other candidate can get us in the top 10 in recruiting? Deion could maybe get us in the top 5. 

There are other coaches we could have on staff with P5 experience. MJ would certainly be kept. Busch probaby too. But  the instant change in recruiting and culture would be fast. 

There are no guarantees with any of these candidates regarding won loss record but I guarantee Deion would have the best recruiting class by far.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
6 minutes ago, PaulCrewe said:

Who were on their respective teams staffs for a couple of years learning the nuances and work of recuiting, academia, and cultures of that program.  Pretty big deal.

Very true.  But Sanders played for Bowden, Johnson, Glanville,  and Seifert.  If we can't get whoever is the "hot get", throw caution to the wind and just get Prime.  He'd match our offensive scheme to a "T".  Big or bust.  I'm so tired of the billion names thrown out that I'm to the point of kidding, not kidding with Prime.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

He says nice things on camera and has had a couple of good seasons at a non-division one football school. It his genuinely hysterical that people are propping this up as evidence of why Nebraska should hire him.

Sounds like you're describing Scott Frost if you change a couple of good seasons to just one. Did you feel the same way about the frost hire?

• Fire 1

Deion Sanders recruited a top player away from Alabama by convincing him to "play for his people" at an HBCU against other HBCUs. Doing that and playing against that competition has very little correlation to coaching a P5 team. There's no guarantee he can recruit anyone to Nebraska any better than another coach can.
Given the choice between Sanders and Joseph, I'm sticking with Joseph.

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Very true.  But Sanders played for Bowden, Johnson, Glanville,  and Seifert.  If we can't get whoever is the "hot get", throw caution to the wind and just get Prime.  He'd match our offensive scheme to a "T".  Big or bust.  I'm so tired of the billion names thrown out that I'm to the point of kidding, not kidding with Prime.

Go look at who Frost played for and it is just as impressive as Deion and that didn't go over so well for him at the P5 level. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The best players tend to make the worst coaches because elite players are able to get by on their skill and athleticism, and aren't able to teach/coach ability to their players.  I am not saying this is a Deion problem, but success as a player hasn't shown to be an indicator for success as a coach.

"Despite all of his physical gifts, Deion Sanders was big into studying his opponent. He was one of the first DBs to use portable DVD players to study opponents while on the bus and planes to games. "

https://youtu.be/dypvLB-WAI4

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Deion is a game changer. We are irrelevant but still have huge support and resources. There is probably no better time to take a chance like this then right now. We really have nothing to lose and everything to gain. 

What other candidate can get us in the top 10 in recruiting? Deion could maybe get us in the top 5. 

There are other coaches we could have on staff with P5 experience. MJ would certainly be kept. Busch probaby too. But  the instant change in recruiting and culture would be fast. 

There are no guarantees with any of these candidates regarding won loss record but I guarantee Deion would have the best recruiting class by far.

I gotta admit, you guys are making a convincing argument for Deion. The more I read, the more I like the idea. He’d definitely create a much-needed buzz around the program that has been missing for a while, and would make Nebraska a “cool” school again. I just don’t see it happening due to the culture clash.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1