Who should our next HC be?

So to piggyback off of what Sip said of his top 3, one candidate actually sticks out that we aren’t talking about much.   I know it’s Just Sips top 3 but I’m spitballing here as I think he would be a great candidate. 

Luke Fickell

It’s been reported by a very non credible source in Zach Smith ex Ohio state coach that Fickell wouldn’t leave Cincinnati to move to Lincoln. Due to his wife.

Now that Zach Smith has lost even more credibility due to his recent comments about Sanders I’m starting to think we aren’t talking enough about Fickell.

*The guy has big 10 coaching experience.

*Tough teams with a generally stingy Defense.
*Been a consistent winner.

*Could use a Salary Bump. Current Salary of 3.4 Million yearly through 2026.

*Arguably the best G5 coach.

*Only 49 years young.

*2 conference championships

*CFP appearance on resume.

*Home Run Hire! (IMO)

Can Cincinnati match what we could pay genuinely curious?  How could he turn down a generous offer from us? Worth a good discussion I believe.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2
4 hours ago, Dansker said:

I'm going to laugh when Bret Bielema is in front of our podium after Illinois' regular season ends.

Considering the crap we're in, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Proven winner in the B1G, has an undertalented Illini ranked, amazing player developer, has had loads of players drafted in the first two rounds. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

So to piggyback off of what Sip said of his top 3, one candidate actually sticks out that we aren’t talking about much.   I know it’s Just Sips top 3 but I’m spitballing here as I think he would be a great candidate. 

Luke Fickell

It’s been reported by a very non credible source in Zach Smith ex Ohio state coach that Fickell wouldn’t leave Cincinnati to move to Lincoln. Due to his wife.

Now that Zach Smith has lost even more credibility due to his recent comments about Sanders I’m starting to think we aren’t talking enough about Fickell.

*Only 49 years young.

*Home Run Hire! (IMO)

Can Cincinnati match what we could pay genuinely curious?  How could he turn down a generous offer from us? Worth a good discussion I believe.

Luke would be a great hire, you always hear he has only a few jobs he wants but I've yet to hear it from him.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, TherealTomOsborne said:

Luke Fickell

*Only 49 years young.

*Home Run Hire! (IMO)

I don't blame you for not wading through this giant thread but Fickell has gotten talked about quite a bit towards the beginning of the thread.  The consensus pretty much is we all agree he'd be an awesome coach but the fact he's never coached outside of Ohio, the rumors about Ryan Day possibly going to the NFL (which would mean Fickell becomes the top choice to  take the tOSU job) plus the fact he's got like 6 younger school age kids all seem to point to it being unlikely that he leaves.  If also hurts that he's already gotten Cincy to the CFP and Cincy joins the Big XII next year so we can't pull the, "If you want to compete at the highest level you need to leave Cincy" card.

I'd be over the moon if Trev were able to pull it off.  Fickell's teams are generally tougher than nails, he's a former wrestler (love it) and outside of this year, usually very disciplined.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

While Fickell would be a good choice, I just cannot see him leaving Ohio, with way too many things keeping him there.  As for who we'll eventually end up with, I have no inside information, but fear it's going to be a less than homerun type hire.  It's probably going to be some name that nobody has even mentioned.  A la the Mike Riley hire in 2014.  Or even worse a mid tier division 2 or 3 coach.  There will be a lot of questions from multiple directions afterward, of how the search could have gone so wrong.  And with this decision the University of Nebraska Lincoln, as a football entity, will fall even further into obscurity.

Or maybe I just need more coffee. 

Let's be real, the Rhule rumors were started by the 'Platinum Board', a forum notorious for karma whoring and bulls#!tting to get subscriptions.

We all got carried away with it. We actually believed it because 'the stadium lights were on' with Rhule and his wife getting a tour lol. 

Jeeesus, how dumb could be we?

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
30 minutes ago, Osbourneite said:

Let's be real, the Rhule rumors were started by the 'Platinum Board', a forum notorious for karma whoring and bulls#!tting to get subscriptions.

We all got carried away with it. We actually believed it because 'the stadium lights were on' with Rhule and his wife getting a tour lol. 

Jeeesus, how dumb could be we?

Twitter is full of bots. Musk thinks China should have control of Taiwan.

This would be entertaining if it was for another team.

I am hoping in the end, it makes sense.  But here is the deal.  When Frost was fired we expected nothing until after the Iowa game.  It is just the smoke from everywhere that makes us crazy.

But remember, coaching searches and names being mentioned is how coaches get extensions and raises.  It is silly season.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1