Who should our next HC be?

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's actually why OSU is top of the conference.  They play great defense and special teams like everyone else.  But, to put them over the top, the pair that with a great offense.

Yeah now we're cooking with gas. 

4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

OSU say HI

Well yeah but they said OSU runs a fun offense and we dont want that. 

14 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Callahan: From what he's heard in the last 24 hours, Kleiman is trending upwards.  High on Trev's list.

I've always thought he would be a really good choice.  But it sounded like he was good where he is.

Obviously winning four FCS championships in five years as a HC is really good.  I didn't realize he was on staff for their three championships before taking over as head coach, the last two as DC.  Knows how to win and has a defensive background - that I like.  Was also the DC at Norther Iowa before going to NDSU.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've always thought he would be a really good choice.  But it sounded like he was good where he is.

Obviously winning four FCS championships in five years as a HC is really good.  I didn't realize he was on staff for their three championships before taking over as head coach, the last two as DC.  Knows how to win and has a defensive background - that I like.  Was also the DC at Norther Iowa before going to NDSU.

Do you have any concerns about his ability to recruit? He has been there a while and still they are barely above Kansas in composite roster ranking. Oh course that doesn't tell the whole story and that team plays like they are a top 25 roster. 

• Plus1 1

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much more money.

Question.  You spend $1m on OC and DC, who is the other assistant that gets $1m?  Mickey?  OL Coach?

I believe it would be amazing to spend $1m on an OL coach.  But, maybe that's what we need to do. Because, that group dictates how this team will perform more than anything.  The Defense is a close second.

My only dream at this point is that we somehow have a dominating O LIne and Defense.  Everything else would fall into place after that.  Quite honestly, it doesn't matter what kind of offense we actually run as long as we have a dominating O line.

OC/DC/RC are in the one million dollar club, IMO.  Pay the guys that call the plays (and calls the plays on how we recruit).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If Pat Fitzgerald was let go by NW would you guys be good if Nebraska hired him?

I'd be disappointed.  He's a good coach, and recruits decent, considering the recruiting disadvantage he's at because of academic standards.   He seems like he's a generic version of Kirk Ferentz.   I think we could do better.

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think it would take an amazing coach to get NU to back to being "good".  NU has been a dumpster fire this year, but it's also pretty close to having 5 or 6 wins.  Yes, this program needs to be rebuilt, but a good coach can get NU back to 8-9 wins.  That doesn't have to be Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen.

Thats true but the fan base is already divided and naming a border coach certainly doesn't help the cause rn if fans are deciding to support the program or not.

24 minutes ago, Enhance said:

While I agree with your premise, I personally think someone like an Urban Meyer would cost north of $11-$12 million/year. This is not a hotly desirable job from a recruiting and location standpoint, and those are pretty big deals if you want to win at a high level in today's CFB world. And, personally, I'm skeptical that the university would pay something like that just for the HC let alone what they'd owe the assistants.

It's all speculation, of course. I just think Nebraska's inherent talent/recruiting disadvantages may come with a high price tag that's a) bigger than we think and b) something we're unwilling to pay.

That is why I would not be surprised to see an up-and-coming G5 coach being named or someone like BOB.  Most of the P5 coaches being named have a good thing going where they are at - why leave - unless they have a problem wt the Admin - thinking of Lane Kiffin.   Yes, Nebraska has some upsides that many schools don't have but is it worth the stress & risk to their reputation of trying to resurrect an old program?    A younger G5 guy may want to prove himself and  there is no greater place than Nebraska to do this where at least he will have fan support hungry for a winner.  

10 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If Pat Fitzgerald was let go by NW would you guys be good if Nebraska hired him?

Not as head coach.  He deserves some credit for having a few good seasons as a tough place to win.  But he gets too much credit considering how often he has really poor seasons.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Not as head coach.  He deserves some credit for having a few good seasons as a tough place to win.  But he gets too much credit considering how often he has really poor seasons.

His West Division titles are miracles, but like you mentioned, Fitz has had terrible seasons far too often.  He's only been able to stick around NW for so long because he is an alum and is willing to stay there as long as they want him.  If he's at any other school, he gets fired due to one of his crappy seasons.

• TBH 1