Who should our next HC be?

8 hours ago, bisonwiches said:

He is… he’s an offensive whiz, goes after top tiered assistants, could handle our media and feel like he’s not getting the backing he needs at Ole Miss… look at his comments about fan support and his comment about getting outbid by A&M feels like a jab at Ole Miss for not ponying up the cash

It’s sure sounding like he’s not happy with the way things are going there. I like how he mixes it up and has a solid rushing game. 

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

His whole ranking is based around the incentive based contract rumor that im pretty sure no one else has reported but him.  Not sure how much he even pays attention or has any real info because he doesnt even mention that Whittingham was interested on a previous coaching search. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

We could use strong recruiting. Lots of people are liking Lane. 

I think he helps with the recruiting, he has instant name recognition, and he has matured as a coach - although his past history is a bit 'sketchy' to say the least. I think the Saban school helped him.  If he keeps MJ and Busch to help the O and brings his Dad and brother to help the D, I can see it working - as long as he doesn't get another wild idea that someplace else would be better. 

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think he helps with the recruiting, he has instant name recognition, and he has matured as a coach - although his past history is a bit 'sketchy' to say the least. I think the Saban school helped him.  If he keeps MJ and Busch to help the O and brings his Dad and brother to help the D, I can see it working - as long as he doesn't get another wild idea that someplace else would be better. 

I can see it working. One thing I have some reservation about is that he's move around quite a lot. He's probably matured. Being around Saban can do nothing but help. 

1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

His whole ranking is based around the incentive based contract rumor that im pretty sure no one else has reported but him.  Not sure how much he even pays attention or has any real info because he doesnt even mention that Whittingham was interested on a previous coaching search. 

I'd never said anything about the rankings at all. I posted it bc I wanted to show Husker Nation what someone was thinking. Now if I'm going to give my opinion on it then I will say that I truly do not believe the second guy he listed or even the third guy he listed is even on our radar but anything is fair game rn bc its been dead on the coaching search.

12 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Yes I bet medium game Bob Stoops is advising him to stay. Bob had it made at OU ( oh wait got to add the required :ou1: but I digress) once he won that NC in year 3

2 of his career there. He had no pressure to ever leave. Of course winning the Big 12 a million times didn’t hurt. 

In all honesty what role does Bo Pelini play into this? Would the experience Bo had here have any effect on his good friend Mark Stoops coming to Lincoln? 

3 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

In all honesty what role does Bo Pelini play into this? Would the experience Bo had here have any effect on his good friend Mark Stoops coming to Lincoln? 

I have thought about this possibility, but Bo's main issues were with his bosses (Perlman and Eichorst).  Unfortunately his anger and sideline antics also turned off a good portion of the fan base, and he never allowed himself to have a connection with the fan base.  His approach was an "us against everyone else" with his team, and I don't think that works in the long-run.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

8 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

I wouldn't think so bc no colleges even want to take a chance on Bo.  Meaning ever since he got fired and did horrible at Youngstown State and LSU his career as a coach is non existent. BO KNOWS HE CAN'T GET A JOB. Referencing the Nike Bo knows 90's slogan.

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I wouldn't think so bc no colleges even want to take a chance on Bo.  Meaning ever since he got fired and did horrible at Youngstown State and LSU his career as a coach is non existent. BO KNOWS HE CAN'T GET A JOB. Referencing the Nike Bo knows 90's slogan.

Bo got himself fired and alienated his colleagues in the process.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I like him. But again, how will the rest of the state react toward his 'questionable' morals and character? I think the fact that he Nebraska roots helps.

I really like Lane too, and I think he's done a good job of changing his image in recent years.  I am not sure what questionable morals or character he supposedly has, but many of the "negatives" were when he was a younger coach, and he was trying to establish himself in coaching.  He was offered great jobs and he took them.  Since then he's gone down to a lower level, won there, and is now winning at Ole Miss.

Even if people cast him as a "job hopper" I would be fine with him coming to NU for only a few years if he left NU in a better place.

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Don't get me wrong, I like Mickey, but why are so many so keen on keeping him as HC? You can hire another top coach - Kiffin or Aranda for example - and keep Mickey on staff, since he seems to be ok w/ that. That way you're getting a double dose of greatness. 

think-about-it-reece-simpson.gif

I think people are worried that if another coach is hired, Mickey will leave.  I really like Mickey, and want him to stick around, but I don't think Mickey has "invented how to recruit to Nebraska" and other coaches can come in and be as successful.  Yes, Mickey has been more successful in recruiting than recent NU coaches, but I think it can be duplicated with the right head coach and assistant coaching staff.