Who should our next HC be?

21 minutes ago, Farms said:

I would think in the next couple of weeks the rumors will heat up and maybe we will get some real ideas of who we are zeroing in on.  Although after the Riley hire we should learn to take everything with a big grain of salt until the hire is officially announced.

Yes, talk about being blindsided. The MR hire was on no one's radar and in that case - it was a really bad thing.  Mr "I CAN DO THIS BY MYSELF AD" sure failed on that one. 

I think this time it is harder, as we are a very anxious fan base that had such HIGH expectations with Frost and now face such a LOW fall after an unforeseen fail of those expectations.   

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Colossal failure?  Seems a bit dramatic after the last 5 years.  Colossal failure is the starting point. 

Yep.  That is where are starting point is as I just noted in my post above.   We had such over-the-top expectations of XHCSF and now the gloom of such a failure. 

It's pretty fun to go back and read the 1,000+ page Scott Frost Megathread from this same time frame a mere five years ago.

If you have a few spare hours and minimal self-respect, I recommend it. 

Q:  Who was Nebraska's #1 option if Scott Frost didn't take the job?

A:  No one. There was no Plan B. 

• Haha 4
  • TBH 1

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's pretty fun to go back and read the 1,000+ page Scott Frost Megathread from this same time frame a mere five years ago.

There would have been a collective meltdown in Husker land if we did hire someone else.  You know what though?  We almost certainly would have ended up with better results and be in a better spot today had we hired basically anyone else besides the guy we all wanted.  The universe, God, or whomever sure have a sense of humor. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

In my opinion we will know the head coach no later than Sunday, November 27. I have the feeling if its Mickey we will know shortly before the Iowa game and if its an outside hire we will start hearing strong rumors and rumblings the week prior to Thanksgiving since that's when the deals will more than likely be inked if my opinion holds true. With the transfer portal hitting full swing once the season is over we cannot afford to not have a staff in place at that point. 

Announcement will be by 10:50 AM November 21st:D

Past the first week in December seems very unlikely…

• Oh Yeah! 1
22 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

You sure there aren't just 4 total people coaching in January?

Stop being a petulant child. Or maybe that's just your schtick. Obsession noted, though.

Get a clue how coaching changes work.

And it's rich you talking to other people about obesssions.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 7
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

There is very little chance the announcement waits until January unless it’s a current NFL coach (unlikely hire at this point) or there is a colossal failure in the hiring process. It’s such a small chance that it’s kind of ridiculous it’s even be talking about it. 

The goal is to absolutely have it announced before signing day. Most head coaching announcements in the FBS happen shortly after the regular season and championship games and before the CFP.

Any assistant NFL would still be announced prior to Jan IMO as they would have a name in place for recruits to know and still be able to fulfill their coaching duties till the end of their NFL season. 

Somewhat the same as what Frost did. 

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, runningblind said:

There would have been a collective meltdown in Husker land if we did hire someone else.  You know what though?  We almost certainly would have ended up with better results and be in a better spot today had we hired basically anyone else besides the guy we all wanted.  The universe, God, or whomever sure have a sense of humor. 

We would have, but what I have learned with Husker fan is they wouldn't be happy with losses and would have chased that coach out because they should have hired Frosty :facepalm:

*Getting humbled was probably good for some of us lol*

• Fire 2
42 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

29 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This would be a great offseason topic.  I need to put a reminder in my phone to post this in February:

If Frost had stayed at UCF or chosen Florida who would we have hired?  And where do you think that Nebraska would be right now?

52 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Colossal failure?  Seems a bit dramatic after the last 5 years.  Colossal failure is the starting point. 

You fire one guy in September and don't have a replacement nearly three months later so they can start recruiting before the initial signing period?  Yes, that would be a colossal failure.

They can both be colossal failures.  There isn't a limit.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

We would have, but what I have learned with Husker fan is they wouldn't be happy with losses and would have chased that coach out because they should have hired Frosty :facepalm:

*Getting humbled was probably good for some of us lol*

Yeah, that's my thinking, too. Had most of the other P5 HC candidates come to Nebraska that year, they would have encountered the same rebuild, but had they gone say 5-7, 8-5, 4-5 and 7-6, we would have declared them a failure, wasting years that Frost would have led us to at least one conference championship.

• Oh Yeah! 1