Interim Head Coach Mickey Joseph

Dansker

14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I understand that you answered what I asked and I appreciate that.  But, in your answer you state "If Mickey proves himself as a winner at a lower, G5 level, then schools in the SEC or Big 12 could come calling."  I do agree with that statement.

However, I am just curious why your standard for Nebraska hiring Mickey as an unproven head coach at the FBS level is ok for 2022, but schools in the SEC or Big 12 would only hire him after he shows a positive track record.  Shouldn't Nebraska have the same standards for Mickey, as the SEC and Big 12 schools?

The problem is when a coach proves himself at a lower G5 level, the competition gets a lot stiffer and more expensive. Sometimes you gotta take a risk and grab the potential before everyone else. i.e. you get Urban Mayer coming out of Utah, not Florida, get Jim Harbaugh out of San Diego, not Stanford or the NFL, Kalen Deboer out of Fresno State, not Washington, Lance Leipold out of Wisconsin-Whitewater, not Kansas, etc. etc. etc. 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The problem is when a coach proves himself at a lower G5 level, the competition gets a lot stiffer and more expensive. Sometimes you gotta take a risk and grab the potential before everyone else. i.e. you get Urban Mayer coming out of Utah, not Florida, get Jim Harbaugh out of San Diego, not Stanford or the NFL, Kalen Deboer out of Fresno State, not Washington, Lance Leipold out of Wisconsin-Whitewater, not Kansas, etc. etc. etc. 

I agree, and those coaches showed success at those lower levels.  Mickey hasn't shown any type of success as a head coach anywhere, other than some decent recruiting results.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know you and are having different thoughts on things, but I don't see the purpose of providing stability and continuity going forward?  Why have stability and continuity of a program that has been complete crap over the past few seasons. and this season included?

Yes, Mickey was just brought in this year, and he has made some initial changes to the status quo, and I commend him for it.  However, I can't emphasize this enough.  I think NU is in need of a complete overhaul and rebuild.  The program is a complete mess and the results of the games show this.  This program needs a shock to the system.  IMO, a new coach and staff of assistants (with potentially keeping Mickey on the staff) is the best way to do it.

I see us at 2 wins and 1 loss in the last 3 games under Mickey.  That's where we are today.  That's a winning record.

The rebuild has already started.  You have seen numerous players play lately, who prior to MJ have not seen the field much (if any).  Benhart played 7 snaps one game.  Hartzog start 2 games.  Phelan Sanford on the field playing a lot.  Tommi Hill switched def to offense.  Lutovsky and Anthony and Piper getting meaningful time.  Rahmir Johnson played!  Butler out there and a host of others.  This staff under MJ is giving players a chance to go play ball.  

Unless you bring in Kiffin, UM or Leach then there will not be a shock to the system.  

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, admo said:

Sorry @Hilltop, my bad!  You are one of my fav guys, so for sure I will gladly answer.

If the Huskers don't win another game this year, Mickey is still the guy for the job.

Really listen here.... no matter who the coach is or could be at this time of the year, we have the toughest part of the entire schedule in our face and will not be predicted to win any of these games.  

From 6-1 Illinois to Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa

Aranda, Campbell, Fickel, etc would not have the Huskers favored to win if they were thrown into the same fire and situation.  Now if any of those do get hired (I do really like Fickel, Ruhle and Aranda), they get to have an offseason, pick their staff, etc.  But these coaches would do no better than Mickey Joseph the rest of this year with the current staff and players.  To think so is ridiculous.

Maybe let Mickey pick his staff after the season, and run his offense and defense accordingly.

Should Mickey win 1 or 2 games with the Huskers obviously underdogs the rest of the way, that will speak volumes.

I'd retain him.

Thanks for replying - just trying to understand the sentiments regarding keeping MJ.  I personally don't think it makes sense but I can appreciate your opinion. 

I think it is reasonable to expect improvement during the season and I agree a lot with what Guy posted previously regarding him.  In other words, I believe MJ still needs to prove he is the guy.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Thanks for replying - just trying to understand the sentiments regarding keeping MJ.  I personally don't think it makes sense but I can appreciate your opinion. 

I think it is reasonable to expect improvement during the season and I agree a lot with what Guy posted previously regarding him.  In other words, I believe MJ still needs to prove he is the guy.  

You are welcome, of course

I agree, and those coaches showed success at those lower levels.  Mickey hasn't shown any type of success as a head coach anywhere, other than some decent recruiting results.

And then to be fair, you'd have to look at former position coaches and coordinators at successful programs who were elevated directly to Head Coach and did pretty well. Or not. We can't act like there's a proven formula for the candidates likely to come here, when there's really not. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

And then to be fair, you'd have to look at former position coaches and coordinators at successful programs who were elevated directly to Head Coach and did pretty well. Or not. We can't act like there's a proven formula for the candidates likely to come here, when there's really not. 

That and the understanding that we need:  1.  A Head Coach who can develop his own skills.  2.  A Head Coach who can recruit strongly, and 3.  Develop his recruits using 4.  His hand picked staff.. all with the mission in mind to reset the culture back to expecting to win every damned game. 

Then we'll have something.

I don't know what our ceiling would be under Mickey in the long run as a team, but I've seen enough to feel confident that his basement is pretty high. We probably have to win a minimum of 2 of these last 5 for Mickey to get the job, but I really hope it happens for a variety of reasons:

-MJ has already put a stronger emphasis on recruiting in state kids than has been done probably since Frank and I expect that to continue if he's the guy

-he's proven that he's a grinder like Trev said he's looking for

-it's difficult to tell from public statements a lot of times, but all signs point to the fact that the players really like and respect him

-MJ is an elite recruiter and would demand that from his staff

-of any coach hire, the amount of attrition would probably be the least if Mickey is retained

There's a lot of reasons, and him being a former player who deeply cares about Nebraska is just a bonus IMO. I think his personality traits are everything that we all wished Frost was going to be.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

You never answered me in the other thread.  If he doesn't win another game in 2022, will you feel that way?  What about 1 more?

MJ has a LOT of positives as an assistant coach and recruiter, but will not be the Huskers’ next fulltime HC. Less than a 10% chance at this point.

He would probably need to win the rest of games this season, and win the bowl game to get the job. Seriously, that is what he will need to do to make up for the lack of the right resume.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, admo said:

I see us at 2 wins and 1 loss in the last 3 games under Mickey.  That's where we are today.  That's a winning record.

The rebuild has already started.  You have seen numerous players play lately, who prior to MJ have not seen the field much (if any).  Benhart played 7 snaps one game.  Hartzog start 2 games.  Phelan Sanford on the field playing a lot.  Tommi Hill switched def to offense.  Lutovsky and Anthony and Piper getting meaningful time.  Rahmir Johnson played!  Butler out there and a host of others.  This staff under MJ is giving players a chance to go play ball.  

Unless you bring in Kiffin, UM or Leach then there will not be a shock to the system.  

You are selecting which games to judge Mickey and that’s fine. Do what you want. The guys you mention who are playing aren’t making much of an impact (other than Hartzog) and they are replacement level players just being used as “someone different”.  You are mistaking “activity” for “improvement”. A shock to the system can be done by any head coach who is willing to make wholesale changes and long-term impact to the program. If you don’t think wholesale changes are needed, then you are accepting what has happened in this program for far too long. 

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Frost just didn't do a good job at it.  He went after RB's....Don't remember him really hitting up Juco to build the lines.

I think he had one OL who never made it to campus. There was a linebacker and a couple WR early also  who never panned out. Not much to brag about.

• TBH 1

You are selecting which games to judge Mickey and that’s fine. Do what you want. The guys you mention who are playing aren’t making much of an impact (other than Hartzog) and they are replacement level players just being used as “someone different”.  You are mistaking “activity” for “improvement”. A shock to the system can be done by any head coach who is willing to make wholesale changes and long-term impact to the program. If you don’t think wholesale changes are needed, then you are accepting what has happened in this program for far too long. 

No, I am ducking from your constant fastballs up and in.  

Sorry to say this, but I am blunt and opinionated.  I think Mickey is the best option.  I've said that at least 5-10 times.  I've given my reasons, look them up and brush them off all you want, I don't give a dang.  I've also said many times that if he doesn't get the job, I will still support whoever the AD hires.  

You need to work on you and YOUR own opinion of who should get hired.  And not on mine or anybody else.  Speak up and put it out there who you think/wish/believe should have 2-3 years to rebuild Nebraska from the ground up.  Because I don't recall who you said is realistically the next Head Coach for the rebuild job.  If you have, I must have missed it. Sorry.  But I'd rather know who your guy is, then having to keep defending an opinion of mine.  

• Haha 2
  • Fire 2