*** Official Illinois Game Thread ***

Mavric

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Serious question, why would it be so bad for NU fans to accept 8-10 wins a season right now?  It’s better than what we’ve had for most of the last 20 years. 

2 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Bielema is a good program builder, but he is really Pelini 2.0 as far as having true success.  Yes he won some Big 10 titles, but he did that when Michigan wasn't playing Michigan football and Ohio St when they were not what they are now.   Is this team better than those two?  NO..  Are they better than Penn St?  50/50 on that one.  Is Illinois better than most of the west right now, sure.  Like I have said a few times, this west division is the worst I have seen in many years.  Quality football not a requirement to win.

Now, is Bielema better than Pelini, yes, but is he really the guy who can win 9--10 games a year?  I don't know about that.  I will not say that after this season when Wisky is not good, Minny is not very good, Iowa sucks, Northwestern is really bad.  Bielema is actually a beneficiary of coaching in the BIg 10 when some of its power players are not doing so.  This season Wisky is down and Iowa is not very good.  Just not impressed with Illinois enough to think he is the man right now.  If Illinois wins the west this season and beats MIchigan or Ohio ST along the way then I might think differently.  So far the wins this season are not juggernaut wins.

Bielema went 12-1 in his first season, 9-4, 7-6, 10-3, 11-2, 11-3 and 8-5 at Wisconsin. He won 2 bowl games with top-10 finishes and lost 4 (he quit before the 5th). He took WIsconsin to the Rose Bowl 3 consec years - which is pretty ridiculous. Sure, he lost them, but I would take that in a heartbeat. Win the West, Win the Big Ten and play in the Rose Bowl every year ... where do we sign up for that business?! Do that and you have a shot at the CFP. A shot is all I ask. We haven't been competitive for far too long.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

14 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

The fact that we tried to stick with Chubby is what kills me.  

the performance was fine until CT went down minus his dumb INT in the 1st quarter.   

I don’t think they practice the entire offense with Smothers. They use him for a running package, and once NU got down 2 scores, that’s why they stuck with Purdy. I don’t agree with it, especially as Purdy was terrible out there, but I think Whipple would seem handcuffed with Smothers as QB. 

Unsure if this was posted, but we only mustered 29 yards in the 2nd half.  Also saw were MJ was asked at the half if Smothers would start in the 2nd half and he said yes.  But Purdybad came in.  Disconnect?  This team is all kinds of broke.  IMHO, we had a much better chance with Smothers than with Purdybad who can't throw or run....29 yards....

1 hour ago, Big Red Viking said:

Might hire Diaco

Chin.  He knows the B1G.

19 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Can someone explain to me what happened with Benhart here?

Yes you can easily pick out Benhart since that is where the block came from, but all five of the interior linemen do it.  This is another crap blocking technique.  The long snapper I can see, do to looking at his snap point(hence rules protecting them) but the other clowns were coached dog crap

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, PaulCrewe said:

Yes you can easily pick out Benhart since that is where the block came from, but all five of the interior linemen do it.  This is another crap blocking technique.  The long snapper I can see, do to looking at his snap point(hence rules protecting them) but the other clowns were coached dog crap

Technique? He didn't even move.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, knapplc said:

Can someone explain to me what happened with Benhart here?

Benhart exceeded his ability yet again?

He is terrible, terrible to the point it isn’t even his fault. Any and every coach that allows him on the field is more responsible than he is for his complete and utter incompetence.

21 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

If offered the job, Bret would come here in a heartbeat and I hope he brings his defensive coordinator because he makes our defensive coordinator look like a peewee league coordinator 

Why?  He loves the AD at Illinois, they are pouring tons of money into the program, he is an Illinois native, and they are going to extend his contract.  If he wins 8 games a year in Champaign they’ll put a bronze statue of him outside memorial stadium alongside Red Grange.

2 hours ago, James_bebes said:

Why?  He loves the AD at Illinois, they are pouring tons of money into the program, he is an Illinois native, and they are going to extend his contract.  If he wins 8 games a year in Champaign they’ll put a bronze statue of him outside memorial stadium alongside Red Grange.

Bret is ambitious. He is not going to settle for 8 win seasons. He wants to compete for playoffs. He is a big ten guru and he knows how to outcoach coaches in the big ten. A program like Nebraska gives him a much higher visibility. I know a lot of people on this blog believe that Nebraska lost it’s allure but I still believe that coaching at Nebraska is as prestigious as coaching at Oklahoma or Texas and definitely way better visibility than Illinois. So, if he wants to upgrade, he will come to Nebraska. If he wants an easy task, he will stay at Illinois. I guess we will never know unless he is asked.