** 2023 Opponent Preview : Colorado (Game 2) **

TGHusker

5 hours ago, The Murphinator said:

Got to run the ball a bunch and when you do throw stay away from Hunter.

We have no passing threat yet.  Colorado will load the box and dare Sims to throw down field.  At least that is what I would do.  We will see what happens, but if you think we can just line up and run downhill, think again.  If Sims can pass with some effectiveness, we might be able to run down hill, but alot of things have to happen.  Can we stop all there weapons?  We will see.  Right now, Colorado would beat most of the West division, if not all of the West division.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, M.A. said:

We have played 1 game against a decent opponent on the road and lost by 3. YES, there were some awful moments offensively. Criticisms are fair. More than the performance though, I think that we're just SICK of losing and while having been patient, it's wearing thin. We want RESULTS.

As for Colorado, kudos to them. While TCU probably isn't near the same team, it was a solid win on the road for the Buffaloes no less. 

We talk a lot about culture and how integral that is to success. For many of us we simply can't comprehend the piling on of the team in relation to their performance Thursday night. The disparaging commentaries toward players and all the rest of it that wouldn't be a part of a winning locker room. Yet, many do it quite loosely and pridefully no shame in it whatsoever. Don't think for a moment that it'll cease. It will only worsen. Those things always get exposed during hard times.

This is a quitters mentality. They have quit on the team after one game, given up truly powerless to exhibit any degree of poise. A minimum of self regulation. A minimum of reflection or self awareness.  Agreed, their opinions are't mine and perhaps not yours either. 

My friends, we have weaknesses. Various issues that aren't going to be resolved instantaneously. We should be *EXCITED* to play a worthy opponent in Colorado or any other. The more challenging, the better we'll be as a consequence. It's best we focus on our strengths and do what we can to win and, in the process go about the business of addressing our weaknesses, improving as much as we can. Break everything down. Channel the attention toward improving each individual segment. Make what *seems* impossible toward being probable. 

We've played one game and our road to greatness will require courage.

Finally a word on Jeff Sims. Maybe he's not your son or nephew or brother or friend or student or teammate. Perhaps your fine dragging him through the mud and projecting hate through his errors. All of the anger must be exacted on him for all of our hardship and failures over the course of the last many years and, perhaps even some of your own inadequacies. You don't want him to improve upon his vision, focus or making better decisions! You want to be right. You're willing to do anything in your power to not see him or anyone else that struggles succeed but fail. 

He's a young man that wants to do is best and to help deliver results that translate into wins. He's owned up to what he did wrong. Condemn him? No, you get to work on improving and encouraging each other as a TEAM with a winner's mindset does.  Keep your chin up son. Put your trust in the process not the critics. Lean on each other and your coaches. Bit by bit discover your best and demonstrate it. 

To those that object, whatever...There's nothing that can be done to change your outlook. I'm absolutely cool with that. 

While I would agree with much of what you said, these kids are tougher today because of social media and being scrutinized more often for bad play.  Your right the culture is not good, but its up to the athletic dept, coaching staff and players to change that narrative, not the fans who invest money, time and frankly livelyhood on Big Red football.  Its unfortunate that the fans care more about the program than some of our leaders in the past with some very bad hires and some even worse firings.  We are what we are right now.  Current landscape of college football, I think we are here for some time.  We missed out on chances to improve and get back, now we are battling more teams with winning in the current state, and our past history really means less and less each and every season that passes.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

19 minutes ago, commando said:

some people in this thread seem to have declared colorado this years national champions.    

It's okay to recognize that Nebraska actively can't call a pass play because it's as beneficial to the opponent as it is Nebraska. 

What I mean is Nebraska is bad and Colorado is fielding a team at least capable of executing something that resembles football in a single offseason.

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, commando said:

some people in this thread seem to have declared colorado this years national champions.    

I don't think anyone I'd confusing Colorado for a playoff team but most of the best players on the field next week will be in a Colorado jersey. There is nobody on nebraska's offense for opposing teams to fear.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

While I would agree with much of what you said, these kids are tougher today because of social media and being scrutinized more often for bad play.  Your right the culture is not good, but its up to the athletic dept, coaching staff and players to change that narrative, not the fans who invest money, time and frankly livelyhood on Big Red football.  Its unfortunate that the fans care more about the program than some of our leaders in the past with some very bad hires and some even worse firings.  We are what we are right now.  Current landscape of college football, I think we are here for some time.  We missed out on chances to improve and get back, now we are battling more teams with winning in the current state, and our past history really means less and less each and every season that passes.

Have you ever done everything in your power to achieve a favorable outcome or achieve an objective to only be criticized by someone who deems themselves the ultimate authority on all matters disregarding what your efforts in fact have been? It's an agenda that is intended to make the critic feel better about themselves however false the narrative. Somehow realities are threatening. Maybe they even snicker in an effort to bolster their denials. Beneath it all is cowardliness. Lots of people experience that.

It sounds like you're a passionate fan who cares about the success of your team. I don't recall you ever sharing anything egregious. I don't disagree that there's been some very bad choices. There's a lot of influences there at play. It's just unfortunate. It seems though that we are on a better trajectory with respect to that. 

The post was directed to a minority here. Not those with differing perspective or opinions but those who's statements are emotionally-driven and irrational not about the interest of the team with respect to what it's objectives are but about themselves. I'm sure that quite a few are butt hurt that "their guy" wasn't hired and now right away when things get a little tough out of the gate, it's a convenient time to make their arguments. 

Point being, it doesn't serve us to dwell on the past. Be it on the field or whatever executive type decisions were made. There's really only one choice to make if we want increase our chances of succeeding and that's focusing on addressing what's necessary to doing it and improving. Matt Rhule's process is front loaded with disruption.

There's a saying, a lie is sweet in the beginning and bitter in the end whereas, the truth is bitter in the beginning and sweet in the end. Sometimes I think that we get caught up in the hype forgetting that it'd be wise to tone down the amount of sugar in our glasses of Kool Aid. A baker can only bake with the flour he's got!

Appreciate your thoughtful response. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Have you ever done everything in your power to achieve a favorable outcome or achieve an objective to only be criticized by someone who deems themselves the ultimate authority on all matters disregarding what your efforts in fact have been? It's an agenda that is intended to make the critic feel better about themselves however false the narrative. Somehow realities are threatening. Maybe they even snicker in an effort to bolster their denials. Beneath it all is cowardliness. Lots of people experience that.

It sounds like you're a passionate fan who cares about the success of your team. I don't recall you ever sharing anything egregious. I don't disagree that there's been some very bad choices. There's a lot of influences there at play. It's just unfortunate. It seems though that we are on a better trajectory with respect to that. 

The post was directed to a minority here. Not those with differing perspective or opinions but those who's statements are emotionally-driven and irrational not about the interest of the team with respect to what it's objectives are but about themselves. I'm sure that quite a few are butt hurt that "their guy" wasn't hired and now right away when things get a little tough out of the gate, it's a convenient time to make their arguments. 

Point being, it doesn't serve us to dwell on the past. Be it on the field or whatever executive type decisions were made. There's really only one choice to make if we want increase our chances of succeeding and that's focusing on addressing what's necessary to doing it and improving. Matt Rhule's process is front loaded with disruption.

There's a saying, a lie is sweet in the beginning and bitter in the end whereas, the truth is bitter in the beginning and sweet in the end. Sometimes I think that we get caught up in the hype forgetting that it'd be wise to tone down the amount of sugar in our glasses of Kool Aid. A baker can only bake with the flour he's got!

Appreciate your thoughtful response. 

Somebody point this man in the direction of a book club