Scott Frost turned down HC job...

Anyone know why he would pass a head coaching job to stay as OC at Oregon? Money? It seems like that would've been a nice first head coaching job unless he has something else going on that we all don't know about. (I know, I know, but as I said earlier-ONE CAN DREAM-(It would be a nice Christmas present! :) ) GO BIG RED!

Anyone know why he would pass a head coaching job to stay as OC at Oregon? Money? It seems like that would've been a nice first head coaching job unless he has something else going on that we all don't know about. (I know, I know, but as I said earlier-ONE CAN DREAM-(It would be a nice Christmas present! :) ) GO BIG RED!

Yeah, that was my first thought. It could be any number of reasons. Maybe the cupboards are bare at CSU and they're looking at some lean years. (I don't follow Colo State. But this seems unlikely.) Or maybe he doesn't have the coaching connections to pull in the assistants that he wants. Or maybe he just really likes it in Oregon. Hard to say why he'd pass on that job.

Or maybe he wasn't offered the job. (After all, the source is footballscoop.)

If true, I would suspect he realizes he isnt ready yet and that would tell a larger story about him as a person. Remember he has only be the OC at Oregon for 2 years? My biggest fear of him coming here as HC was he isnt ready yet. It would be devastating if he would have come here prior to being ready and ultimately failed. I am a firm believer he will be the HC at Nebraska someday, however that day has not come. I would love to see him really come into his own at Oregon for a couple more years and then move onto MAC, MWC type school and really make some noise. By that time I suspect we will be ready for another HC and thats when Frost comes home.

Here's why I would stay at Oregon as their OC.

Mike Belotti was HC. He (and Nike) made Oregon relevant. He became AD of Oregon and handed the HC job to:

His OC Chip Kelly. He did some good things. Good enough to be hired to the NFL, in which he fought hard to make sure that his successor was:

His OC Mark Helfrich. Who, is doing a damn good job. Who knows what happens if he can make Oregon a National Championship team. Maybe NFL? (probably not in my opinion).

Either way, Frost as Helfrich's OC has a pretty darn good setup in Oregon. He can ride the success of Oregon for a very long time as OC until Helfrich moves on, OR:

Get a darn good program. Not just CSU. Honestly, if I were in Frost's shoes, I'd wait until the best opportunity comes at me. I wouldn't just take the first thing. CSU? OK, maybe that might be a good time to learn how to become a HC, but I'd still rather wait for a Florida, a Michigan, or even a Nebraska-type job to open up (I don't think Nebraska job will open soon, just used it as an example).

• Fire 1

No real disrespect to CSU, but they're not a Power 5 con. They have NO chance to ever make a CF playoff, so what do they play for? I mean, where are those hopes at the beginning of the season - realistic or not - that this could be a magical year and make it?

If it were me, I'd rather take a chance where there is some hope at a bigger program at least. And a P5 Conf. Even if it was a middle of the pack team. That would be my logical starting point. Look at Duke and how far they've come along. Winston won't play at FSU forever, and it is more possible in the ACC for someone else to rise up. Plus you play in bigger venues and against more traditional power teams. Not to mention the quality of recruits that go to P5 over CSU, etc.

Bigger programs, better venues, better recruits, bigger TV games, and championship dreams.