What did we learn-Game 1 Arky State

JJ Husker

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I learned fans will continue to over react to a single game. Let's see what happens before breaking out the torches and pitchforks (or at least wait until after a loss).

And I've learned I enjoy the game a whole lot more if I don't go to the game thread.

I've learned the game discussion thread is a $#!+ show.

6 minutes ago, MattyIce said:

So did coachPowerT then 

PowerT was more talking about the fact that the guy pulled his helmet off.  It was coming off, and he pulled it off the rest of the way.  I think the main issue was the fact that they had a first down and the clock was stopped until they set the ball.  The set the ball, and then prevented the clock from running as the guy walked off the field as they set up their field goal unit.  A total blown call.

35 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Fans need to stop acting like if a coach "holds" something back that it will confuse the sh#t out of the other team so much that they will sh#t themselves.

I agree with this. Unless you're in Bama's zip code of the stratosphere you better bring your A game each and every week. This illusion of holding things back is BS. People act like some future team is going to faint and forfeit because we did something they didn't see on our film. Not gonna happen folks. Every team on our schedule can beat us, we better never hold anything back. Now having said that....I sure as hell hope we've got all kinds of sh!t we didn't show because what we did show was no bueno.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Its designed to keep everything in front and make you take 10+ plays to get down the field. Which is ridiculous but it is what it is. 

If you have Peyton Manning, that's fine. If you're offense is efficient enough, that's a great way to go. It's hard to routinely go the length of the field grinding out plays. A lot can go wrong and thwart a drive.

I didnt see that kind of defense today. I saw one that was very exploitable, and if anything, Ark St was too stubborn to exploit it. So much talk of those screens they ran, but if they had something to go off of that, like good offenses do, they win going away.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I learned fans will continue to over react to a single game. Let's see what happens before breaking out the torches and pitchforks (or at least wait until after a loss).

And I've learned I enjoy the game a whole lot more if I don't go to the game thread.

Yeah, the game thread is no better than a disease. People severely overreact to every little thing. Sure we had some problems but dang, we're 1-0. The days of rolling teams ended many years ago. Nobody is intimidated by us anymore, a casualty of 20 years of mediocre football. No sense lamenting it play by play.

• Plus1 1

Some of the folks around here. Geez. 

Arky State has won the sun belt two years in a row. They aren't some no name mid-major/FCS team. 

Thought the defense made some decent adjustments in the second half. Think the original game plan has been beat up enough. 

Was disappointed we didn't put 50 on them offensively. Really thought we missed a moment to step on their throats and put The game away. 

Oregon played Southern Utah. Drawing anything from that is laughable. Doesn't mean they won't do that to us, but it's a different week. 

Hope we have see a jump. 

• Plus1 3

I expected a sloppy, close game that resulted in a win by less than 10pts. But I didn't expect it to be because our defense got gashed like they did.

I expected a vanilla defense for most, if not all of the season. I don't think Diaco trusts our corners and we can't just go blitz and pray. The problem is that there were still so many holes despite trying to play it safe.

We will win more than 5, I think those claims are an overreaction but this game was pretty eye-opening. I had us with 8 wins but hoped we'd knock off a team to get to 9. I don't know if 8 is a reality at this point but we will see.

I learned this pass coverage needs to be much improved but I didn't learn much about the run D. Arky State threw it 68 times. We better be ready for Royce. 

The offense was about what I thought it would be. Balanced and efficient is the goal. There were definitely some major glimpses and positives  but there is room to improve there as well. 

Alot of squads have a tough time in the first few weeks of a season. The big question is will this squad continue to get better every day? We will see a week from now.