Who should we hire

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I have a KSU fan in my office.  He and I go back and worth about NU vs KSU.  He would love to get Venables to KSU to replace the Ancient One.  The Ancient One wants his son to replace him.  But I would agree - Venables would be a good hire if he had strong OC support.     The pipeline needs to be rebuilt and the 'Nebraska Way' of playing football.  We'll never get all of the 5 star players at the skilled positions to compete wt Bama and other schools in the recruiting hotbeds.  But if we can keep rolling out 5th year senior OL and DL, LB and mix in some stars in the skilled positions we could hold our own.

Honest question here because I don't know, but how involved was Venables in the recruiting process while at OU?  If he was heavily involved, I'd be a bit concerned.  His last defense at OU in 11' finished the season in total defense ranked at #55 while we finished ranked #37.  His defense the year before (10') was ranked at #53 while we finished at #11.  It's no secret that the OU faithful wanted him gone.  If he was heavily involved in the recruiting process for defensive players, I'd say this is a red flag.  If he wasn't heavily involved, what makes anyone think he could recruit here?

It would appear to me that hiring Venebles would be just as big if not bigger of gamble as when we hired Bo.  It is assumed that TO did recommend/request strong OC support when Bo was hired which is how we ended up with Watson being retained. 

I guess I'd be willing to give Venebles a shot, but it would only be if we're turned down by Frost.  Frost has at least actually been a head coach.  He took over a winless team and had them bowl eligible in year one.   

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Scott Frost and Brent Venables are still the only realistic names that have been put forth in any of these threads.

If you're the Nebraska AD (department, not director), regardless of who's involved, you have to take a chance on Frost. His stock keeps rising like crazy, and if you hire a new coach this year or next year, that ISN'T Scott Frost, you set yourself up to miss out on him completely. You take the gamble, and if it works out, you've got your guy for the next 20 years.

It's the right play. The upside is massive, and there's not a whole lot to be lost at this point.

Couldn't agree more. IF a change is made Frost has to be the guy. I've stated in another thread that Shaw would be a great hire but that is a pipe dream at best. Frost is young and I think is on the fast track to a big time gig. Like you said take the chance now and it may mean stability for the next 20 years.

I can't even imagine the amount of money we'd have to fork out on an annual basis in order to get Shaw.  The last figure I saw which was around three years ago was Shaw making around 4.1 million.  Because Stanford is private, they don't have to release this info. annually.  He has a great thing going at Stanford.  I would venture to guess there's only two ways someone lures him away from Stanford.  One, they'd have to probably offer around 10-12 million.  Two, would be a NFL team hiring him.  I don't see either one of them happening.

Shaw won't ever leave Stanford unless he's fired.

It's his alma mater. He played there in college, his dad was a coach there, he's been there over a decade as a coach, he gets paid very well and he gets to build an elite team without blueblood fan and booster expectations. He's got it about as good as he could ever hope.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Shaw won't ever leave Stanford unless he's fired.

It's his alma mater. He played there in college, his dad was a coach there, he's been there over a decade as a coach, he gets paid very well and he gets to build an elite team without blueblood fan and booster expectations. He's got it about as good as he could ever hope.

Shaw at Stanford is very similar to Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  Shaw has done a much better job at Stanford, as they have actually consistently won.  But, I agree the overall fan expectation are much lower at schools like Stanford and Northwestern, so they are willing to stick with "their guys" for a long time.  Shaw has great job security.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Shaw at Stanford is very similar to Fitzgerald at Northwestern.  Shaw has done a much better job at Stanford, as they have actually consistently won.  But, I agree the overall fan expectation are much lower at schools like Stanford and Northwestern, so they are willing to stick with "their guys" for a long time.  Shaw has great job security.

I think the fans here would be willing to stick wt Frost for the same reason.

I'd be very curious how fans would feel if we had a coach with the results of someone like Mike Gundy.

Only one conference title in 13 seasons, and a 7-8 win season for every one or two 10+ win seasons, but they have really good years mixed in there too.

4-7

7-6

7-6

9-4, #16

9-4, #25

11-2, #10

12-1, conference champs, fiesta bowl win, #3

8-5

10-3, #17

7-6

10-3, sugar bowl appearance, #19

10-3, #11

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes and no.  NU fans would be willing to stick with Frost if there were a one season blip here and there, but they would still expect the team playing at a championship level.

Yes of course.    The question I was thinking about - would Frost bring us back to power football (think old NU - not the triple option however, or like Wisc, Stanford) or would he be like

what we saw at Oregon?  My gut is that he knows NU well enough that we wouldn't be going back to a west coast offense, a fast paced Oregon offense.  So, I think, if he goes back to the power game, we all know we need a pipeline established and it may take a few years to make that change to WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP :D.  Actually, I think we have good players, we need better, but with the right coach, we can get over that 9 win slump and win the CCG.  

Maybe to break the Solich curse:ahhhhhhhh we need a former NU player to become HC - a link to the past to ward off the 9 win evil spirits :o. Hey bring Turner Gill back as OC - doubly break the curse. Keep JP as DL coach, Zac Taylor as QB & receivers coach.  (I really miss Zac Taylor and Glantz - the best QBs since Eric Crouch - great leaders on the field - we haven't seen that kind of leadership since.)

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I think the fans here would be willing to stick wt Frost for the same reason.

I don't care about any of that stuff, and when the going gets bad, I don't think most other people do, either.

All I care about is signs of promise towards the goals set forth when this most recent hire was made. I understood the argument to not fire Pelini, but I also agree that if you have high ambitions it made sense to go another way. I just had no idea why anyone would have made this hire if those were the stated goals. Too many things had to go just right.

As long as a new hire is progressing towards those goals, I'm ok with that. Could be Frost or someone else. I think Frost has a chance at being a top flight head coach. He speaks with an intensity but also a vision. He seems wise for his age.  It's only a chance, though, there are no guarantees. I'm not sure he feels he's ready for a program like this one. I get a strong sense that he wants to build at UCF and prove to himself he can do it before he takes on this task.

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes of course.    The question I was thinking about - would Frost bring us back to power football (think old NU - not the triple option however, or like Wisc, Stanford) or would he be like

what we saw at Oregon?  My gut is that he knows NU well enough that we wouldn't be going back to a west coast offense, a fast paced Oregon offense.  So, I think, if he goes back to the power game, we all know we need a pipeline established and it may take a few years to make that change to WIN THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP :D.  Actually, I think we have good players, we need better, but with the right coach, we can get over that 9 win slump and win the CCG.  

Maybe to break the Solich curse:ahhhhhhhh we need a former NU player to become HC - a link to the past to ward off the 9 win evil spirits :o. Hey bring Turner Gill back as OC - doubly break the curse. Keep JP as DL coach, Zac Taylor as QB & receivers coach.  (I really miss Zac Taylor and Glantz - the best QBs since Eric Crouch - great leaders on the field - we haven't seen that kind of leadership since.)

I could be wrong, and I haven't watch a ton of his stuff at Central Florida, but I think he likes to run an uptempo spread, but focuses on a power run game within that spread.  I think it's very similar to what Taggart now runs at Oregon.

15 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I'd be very curious how fans would feel if we had a coach with the results of someone like Mike Gundy.

Only one conference title in 13 seasons, and a 7-8 win season for every one or two 10+ win seasons, but they have really good years mixed in there too.

4-7

7-6

7-6

9-4, #16

9-4, #25

11-2, #10

12-1, conference champs, fiesta bowl win, #3

8-5

10-3, #17

7-6

10-3, sugar bowl appearance, #19

10-3, #11

I would definitely take Gundy.  I was watching their game this weekend and all I could think about was man, I wish our offense looked like this.  They look like the real deal this year with Rudolph.

Plus, you know he always has his player's backs.