** Scott Frost megathread all things SF***

brophog

Just out of curiosity who do you guys think would not offer him.   Really are not any top flight coaches running free right now other than Chip Kelly.  One of the young top up and comers no question. 

And the next point, we all seem to think this decision is just Scott's.   He has a new young family, and that main family member may not want to move again right away.  She has lived in warm weather her whole life.  I brought mine to California for a year stent at El Toro.  Said she was never going back to Nebraska or Missouri to live after living here.   In case you guys have not figured it out yet, happy wife is a happy life. 

Hope you guys are right, and that he is a shoe in, but my gawd some of you will be jumping off cliffs if he doesn't come here.  I would say at best it is 50/50.  He really does not need the hassle that any blue blood program would present at this point.  Doing well and having fun it appears.  He wanted to coach to teach kids the love of football, not to get rich.  He is doing that at UCF and life is way easier.   

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

It's not hype building. It's just people starting to learn what some already knew. I have been following his career since he started to be the OC at Oregon since I have a ton of respect for the Chip Kelly offense. I have been impressed by Scott Frost since then and I want him coaching at Nebraska. 

I don't care if there are some fans that don't want him, they will come around once they see the product on the field. 

It is easier to recruit to the Scott Frost offense than it is the Mike Riley offense. 

1 hour ago, Rike Miley said:

Well, hes old and Frost is still young.  You can say the same thing about Saban and Sweeney.  Im sure Sweeney can still run with the guys while Saban probably cannot.  Doesn't mean he cant relate to them.  This is dumbest logic ever.

Hey, I didn't say it was out of line or out of the ordinary.  I just said it is almost going to be a story of Herculean proportions if/when he becomes coach.

11 minutes ago, skersfan said:

Just out of curiosity who do you guys think would not offer him.   Really are not any top flight coaches running free right now other than Chip Kelly.  One of the young top up and comers no question. 

And the next point, we all seem to think this decision is just Scott's.   He has a new young family, and that main family member may not want to move again right away.  She has lived in warm weather her whole life.  I brought mine to California for a year stent at El Toro.  Said she was never going back to Nebraska or Missouri to live after living here.   In case you guys have not figured it out yet, happy wife is a happy life. 

Hope you guys are right, and that he is a shoe in, but my gawd some of you will be jumping off cliffs if he doesn't come here.  I would say at best it is 50/50.  He really does not need the hassle that any blue blood program would present at this point.  Doing well and having fun it appears.  He wanted to coach to teach kids the love of football, not to get rich.  He is doing that at UCF and life is way easier.   

Might be difficult to persuade the other half to move to a colder climate especially if they've lived in warm tropical weather their entire life. But then you direct them to the potential paychecks and it may be persuasive enough. You can also say look we make this much more money we will buy a vacation home in the Bahamas.

7 hours ago, Undone said:

I hope we're not hiring Frost.

We need the Big Name out there to really bring in top 10 talent. We need a proven college football head coach. Frost is not that guy. 

I genuinely predict disappointment if we bring in Frost. Spend the money on the biggest name that's willing to come. This cannot be this hard and we cannot keep repeating this cycle.

I mean Dabo Swinney was a receivers coach before becoming the head coach at Clemson, Kirby Smart was never a head coach before taking the Georgia job-look at them now, Bob Stoops, Jimbo Fisher, heck even David Shaw at Stanford. There's no perfect formula for finding a great head coach, some guys just have "it". Scott Frost is a guy who has had success everywhere he's been, could he disappoint? Of course, there's a risk with every hire you make, but if I'm the AD I'm willing to bet on the guy who was able to take an 0-12 team to one of the best looking teams in football in just two years.

6 hours ago, Undone said:

As I said a few replies up, David Shaw or Mark Dantonio.

I wanted Dantonio to come in after Bo was fired.

Shaw makes 4.1 million a year and coaches for his alma mater, in a state he grew up in, why on God's green earth would he come here? Unless you're suggesting we go all out and double his salary which would put him over Saban, which I love Shaw and the program he runs but he's not worth Saban money. 

• Plus1 2

As for Frost not being a proven college football head coach look at what he has done in a year and a half at UCF. Look at the stats, especially that of the O-Line play. While looking at what he has done at UCF in just a year and a half keep in mind what he inherited when he got there. Also look at what he did at Oregon while an assistant and offensive coordinator.

• Plus1 1

I keep hearing about how bad the team was.  They had a terrible year due to a coach just quitting as I read it.  But the three years before they were pretty darned good.  He may have inherited a team that had lost, but they were not what I would call a bunch that lost all the time.  I think someone listed it the other day, 9-4 12-1 and 10-3.  It may not have been quite as great a turn around as some want to make it.  Don't get me wrong I am equally impressed with Coach Frost.   But he is not walking on water yet, but you would think so from some of the posts on this site.

4 minutes ago, skersfan said:

I keep hearing about how bad the team was.  They had a terrible year due to a coach just quitting as I read it.  But the three years before they were pretty darned good.  He may have inherited a team that had lost, but they were not what I would call a bunch that lost all the time.  I think someone listed it the other day, 9-4 12-1 and 10-3.  It may not have been quite as great a turn around as some want to make it.  Don't get me wrong I am equally impressed with Coach Frost.   But he is not walking on water yet, but you would think so from some of the posts on this site.

While UCF wasn't a typical 0-12 team, that is still a really bad team. Plus it's not like UCF is head and shoulders more talented than other teams in their conference, but Frost has them kicking team's asses. That includes a Big Ten team (Maryland) on the road. Frost is getting that team to play with confidence and swagger which goes beyond the talent. 

• Plus1 1

Are people trying to downplay Frost so he doesn't come to NU and fail, and then we would be like "now what"?  As numerous people have pointed out, Frost appears to be in the generation of coaches in their 40s who are ready to be the next group of good/great coaches over the next 10-20 years. He has the pedigree, has the assistant coach experience, and is now getting the head coaching experience. 

So there was internal strife on the team, the coach quit, and all that were left, lost their talent, and only Coach Frost could get them back.  I just don't buy that.  He has done a great job, but there was definitely talent there as they had went 31-8 prior.  You lose one year of kids, that is all.  Now they may have all been the best, but you had kids that could play with in their conference.  He has done a great job, but feel pretty certain there are others that could have made a like impact at that program.  But he did it.  Again not saying he didn't do a great job, but we are placing so much on him, and we will expect so much from, we just need to pump the brakes a little bit is my thought.

I really don't think he is coming.  Would be happy if he did, but I think his word is more important to him.  We will know in a couple of months.  Will be fully on board if he does, but if not I want to be able to support who ever we hire.  I supported Coach Riley, and I was wrong.  I really don't want to be wrong again.  Take our time, get the best we can get and move forward.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

A lot of desperate, and delusional posts on there (no different than here however).

Paraphrasing here....

"Nebraska is a step down from UCF"

"UCF will be able to match what Nebraska offers"

"Why would you hire another Oregon guy after Riley"..... (That was funny)

I'm not completely sure that they all know he's from Nebraska... Never seen it mentioned

• Plus1 1