** 2023 Opponent Preview : Northern Illinois (Game 3) **

1 hour ago, huskerfan702 said:

The best 3-9 team in history all over. I’m tired of winning mythical trophies. 

I'm tired of people insisting on reminding everyone how bad we've been at every opportunity.  We all know that already.

But I doubt either of us will get rid of what we're tired of.

• Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

Good for them!  But we are going to beat those Quad City Losers! 

The Rock GIFs | Tenor

They're not beating us in our home opener, at night, in Lincoln, with the lights on and a red out. 

Aint !  Gonna !  happen !   

(sidenote:  Wait a second, ...  Is Purdy starting?  Or Haarberg?  Or Sims?  Or a combo style?)  :ohnoes

• Plus1 1
On 9/12/2023 at 4:03 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Might want to check out Scott Frost senior year. Not far off at 14.66 carries per game. 

Scott Frost: 6’3 220lbs in a system perfectly established and then tweaked to exactly compliment his talents. 

Sims: 6’4 220lbs pounding a round into a square. 

if we ran the 96-99 system, Sims would excel. 

but that would take years of crafting and tweaking for each player to learn and grow. 
we’re pulling transfers, tweeners, petulants, and recruits together to try and make 7-8 win seasons, hopefully. 
if TO had his hands on Sims as a freshman and taught him for 2 seasons he’d be in the Natty hunt, all things considered. 

Sims is a freak athlete and can do well. But we don’t have the “block down-field WR” or the “mash your head fb”  or the “3yr wait to play” road graders OL; the Ahman/Phillips/Brown type talent at IB anymore, w a walk-on dying to have N on helmet. 

We have what looks like every single other offense in the country looks like. We won enough to become a blue blood because we did what we do, f all the rest.  Win or lose, that’s who we are. 

Disciplined, tough, unique, nasty. 

Get under center and mash some folks. Spread em a little to make ‘em work. 
Game in point: N v TaMU 1997, Sims could do that, if we decided to do that as a program. If we are “rebuilding” rebuild to what worked for us for decades. Like decades of success just being us. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

40 minutes ago, I am I said:

Scott Frost: 6’3 220lbs in a system perfectly established and then tweaked to exactly compliment his talents. 

Sims: 6’4 220lbs pounding a round into a square. 

if we ran the 96-99 system, Sims would excel. 

First of all, anybody would excel if they're surrounded by an elite juggernaut of a system.

Second, Frost averaged about 15 passes per game and 13 rushes per game. Sims is averaging 17 passes and 15 rushes per game. We're giving him a run heavy offense with lots of play action, simple reads and traditional/zone read/RPO options. It's obviously not the same system, but what would be the more round hole that he would fit well into? What does he do well that we aren't setting up for him?

• TBH 1
20 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Well, I’m on an understanding of how college football works :dunno.    Because of the QB play, the team is 0-2.    Which is kinda the point of the recent discussion you have replied to.:thumbs  

Switch each teams QB’s in both games and NU is 2-0.  That’s not really in dispute.   the Big Ten West sucks hence the talent is on the roster to reach an 8 win threshold with a competent QB.  

I think a little more than QB play is our problem big shoots, I think that is probably the most glaring.

Yeah, but we're 0-2, so that means f*ck all. 

21 minutes ago, walksalone said:

Then why aren't they exploiting the run game more?  If you pound the rock like that, shouldn't you be at least 1-1?

Well, you see... We have a QB...

But for real, 4 turn overs a game is the problem. You take away the 2 late first half turnovers during the CU game and trade them in for TDs, you could be looking at a 21-17 or 28-26 win.

Take away any of the last 3 turnovers against Minny and we have a dub.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1
8 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

First of all, anybody would excel if they're surrounded by an elite juggernaut of a system.

Second, Frost averaged about 15 passes per game and 13 rushes per game. Sims is averaging 17 passes and 15 rushes per game. We're giving him a run heavy offense with lots of play action, simple reads and traditional/zone read/RPO options. It's obviously not the same system, but what would be the more round hole that he would fit well into? What does he do well that we aren't setting up for him?

And Sims is actually a better passer than Scott Frost ever was. But what Frost did so well, better than any Husker QB, is sell the play action. Defenses have to bite on the run because that's what Nebraska does/did. So when the QB really sells the running play -- seemingly sticks the ball in the RBs stomach but actually walks away with the ball still hidden on the side of his leg, he has frozen the linebackers and has a receiver so wide open even a bad passer can make the completion.

QBs don't really excel in the deception of play action anymore. I think it could help Sims a lot. 

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1