** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I think that before the season even began, most of us had this chalked up as a definite “L”. And that was before we knew Sims stared down his intended targets and hiked the ball when the motion man was in the way. It was before we knew we would be without Gabe & Rahmir. It was before we knew that Corcoran would make NO improvements.

On the plus side, it was before we knew that Fidone would begin fulfilling hopes & expectations. It was before we knew that Haarberg was more than a serviceable backup. It was before we knew our rushing game could be #6 in the country and our defense bring some serious honor back to the name “Blackshirts”.

To have a puncher’s chance, I think we need to come out on the first offensive play of the game, roll away from Corcoran and throw a bomb to Coleman/Lloyd. We need a defensive TD and some stellar Special Teams play.

In my dreams, I can hear Chris Berman recapping the NU/Michigan highlights saying “And THAT’S why they play the games”.

They tried that last week and got sacked.

• Plus1 1

Who can tell?

We're only two seasons removed from Scott Frost's 3-9 Huskers almost beating a high ranked Michigan. The year before we totally fell apart against a lesser Michigan team.

I just think this Husker team is too easy to scout and too easy to adjust to. Jim Harbaugh will not be baffled by QB option football, and he has too many tools at his disposal.

Everything will have to break perfectly for the Huskers. 

• Plus1 2

Michigan's offense hasn't really exploded this year and they are perfectly content trying to ground out a couple drives to see where we are. They could have a couple partially successful drives not necessarily ending in points, but this will also shrink the play count. If Nebraska doesn't completely clamp down on an unchallenged Michigan offense, our offense's poor play might make this the first blanking in 27 years. Rutgers got one big play to start the game and sustain success never came despite some good plays here and there. I don't see our offense maintaining many drives and we are a bomb or broken tackle from being on a short order to get zero.

Right now, I feel like we can find a field goal off a turnover, a bomb shot hits, or Grant squeezes through a tackler somewhere to get points, but does this game ever scream potential shut out.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Michigan's offense hasn't really exploded this year and they are perfectly content trying to ground out a couple drives to see where we are. They could have a couple partially successful drives not necessarily ending in points, but this will also shrink the play count. If Nebraska doesn't completely clamp down on an unchallenged Michigan offense, our offense's poor play might make this the first blanking in 27 years. Rutgers got one big play to start the game and sustain success never came despite some good plays here and there. I don't see our offense maintaining many drives and we are a bomb or broken tackle from being on a short order to get zero.

Right now, I feel like we can find a field goal off a turnover, a bomb shot hits, or Grant squeezes through a tackler somewhere to get points, but does this game ever scream potential shut out.

I felt like Rutgers could have run their QB for more success.  He had a couple nice runs in the first half and they didn't seem to go back to it.  Even tho they haven't showed it I would have to think Nebraska has better athletes on O than Rutgers.  Their D didn't look near as good as Nebraska's and they were coming up with some stops.  Penalties really killed Rutgers from getting any type of momentum.  It was 17-7 until Mich scored on defense due to a poorly executed screen pass.  Then the wheels fell off for Rutgers.  I think this game is going to be a lot closer than people are thinking.  

1 minute ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I felt like Rutgers could have run their QB for more success.  He had a couple nice runs in the first half and they didn't seem to go back to it.  Even tho they haven't showed it I would have to think Nebraska has better athletes on O than Rutgers.  Their D didn't look near as good as Nebraska's and they were coming up with some stops.  Penalties really killed Rutgers from getting any type of momentum.  It was 17-7 until Mich scored on defense due to a poorly executed screen pass.  Then the wheels fell off for Rutgers.  I think this game is going to be a lot closer than people are thinking.  

It definitely could be closer than people are thinking based on our defense,  but the caveat is going to be turnovers and if they happen early.