** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

10 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I felt like Rutgers could have run their QB for more success.  He had a couple nice runs in the first half and they didn't seem to go back to it.  Even tho they haven't showed it I would have to think Nebraska has better athletes on O than Rutgers.  Their D didn't look near as good as Nebraska's and they were coming up with some stops.  Penalties really killed Rutgers from getting any type of momentum.  It was 17-7 until Mich scored on defense due to a poorly executed screen pass.  Then the wheels fell off for Rutgers.  I think this game is going to be a lot closer than people are thinking.  

I think it still could be close even if we do get blanked. I could see us hanging on to a 10-0 game late into the 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised. But if this is the game we get blanked, I will not be shocked.

If Michigan scores something like 20, I think it is probably over right then and there. However, Michigan has been flawed, Rutgers did run well early, McCarthy has been anything but clean and well executed even against some bad teams. Nebraska could pop off a couple big ones and win a 17-14 game, but that is a confluence of a lot of things going our way. The most likely outcome is something like the other 4 Michigan games landing them in the 28-3/24-10 neighborhood. We shall see.

• TBH 1

17 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I think it still could be close even if we do get blanked. I could see us hanging on to a 10-0 game late into the 3rd. I wouldn't be surprised. But if this is the game we get blanked, I will not be shocked.

If Michigan scores something like 20, I think it is probably over right then and there. However, Michigan has been flawed, Rutgers did run well early, McCarthy has been anything but clean and well executed even against some bad teams. Nebraska could pop off a couple big ones and win a 17-14 game, but that is a confluence of a lot of things going our way. The most likely outcome is something like the other 4 Michigan games landing them in the 28-3/24-10 neighborhood. We shall see.

I really don't think they are going to keep this a scoreless game.  Probably end up being 17-10.  

22 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, we're a little too predictable in when we decide to take our shots. First play of the game is a common one - we don't have the track record of opening the game running the ball down peoples' throats for them to bite on play action right out of the gate. 

For a long time we would do this, the teams I coached.  First play, run one guy deep and toss it up, give him a chance to make a play.  

This game has quick and boring written all over it.

Look for a Billy C game plan of run up the middle over and over, HH to try to get to the edge a few times and maybe 1 trick play.  No more than 15 passing attempts.  

This game might as well start with the old 24 intro "The events are happening in real time" because this game will over in 75 minutes (Halftime included)

Michigan 31

NU 7

11 minutes ago, teachercd said:

For a long time we would do this, the teams I coached.  First play, run one guy deep and toss it up, give him a chance to make a play.  

I don't hate the idea of it - I remember a game (Washington maybe?) where we rolled out the old school option pass with T-Magic on the first play and hit a bomb down to the 2. And I'll admit spot checking the other games, I don't have any actual data to back up us being predictable with the shot plays.

Honestly if we just blocked better I wouldn't be mad about it. There's a super fine line between getting cute by going away from what has worked, and being smart by exploiting an overcommitted defense. And as much as I want to pretend it comes down to the playcall and timing and we can blame the OC, which side of the line a play falls on usually just comes down to the team executing it properly. 

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Honestly if we just blocked better I wouldn't be mad about it. There's a super fine line between getting cute by going away from what has worked, and being smart by exploiting an overcommitted defense.

I like the idea of it as our first offensive play in a game like Michigan where we have basically no chance at just having run blocking slowly wear them down, but I like it way less against LA Tech or a B1G West team.

26 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This game has quick and boring written all over it.

Look for a Billy C game plan of run up the middle over and over, HH to try to get to the edge a few times and maybe 1 trick play.  No more than 15 passing attempts.  

This game might as well start with the old 24 intro "The events are happening in real time" because this game will over in 75 minutes (Halftime included)

Michigan 31

NU 7

This sounds about right unfortunately.