** 2023 Opponent Preview : Michigan (Game 5) **

On 10/19/2023 at 1:23 PM, Crusader Husker said:

If someone is stealing your signs, that is your problem.

Maybe I am old school?

This is a non-issue IMO.  Slap on the wrist for not following the rules about sending someone in person to other games, fine.  But literally every school has to be doing this sort of thing with video, and probably through more discrete means with in person attendance somehow.  If they aren't, they are dumb. The signals are right there, all game long, on video. 

41 minutes ago, runningblind said:

This is a non-issue IMO.  Slap on the wrist for not following the rules about sending someone in person to other games, fine.  But literally every school has to be doing this sort of thing with video, and probably through more discrete means with in person attendance somehow.  If they aren't, they are dumb. The signals are right there, all game long, on video. 

everyone in prison says the same thing. "the money was there for the taking so it would be stupid not to steal it" isn't a defense IMO.   

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, commando said:

everyone in prison says the same thing. "the money was there for the taking so it would be stupid not to steal it" isn't a defense IMO.   

Sign stealing is allowed dude.  Perfectly acceptable.  We are only talking HOW they did it.  Every single school does it, or at least is allowed to.   If people aren't willing to push the boundaries of things to get an advantage, we might as well pack it up.  We will have our boy scout badges while we go 3-9 every year.

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Does Michigan have natural grass?  I remember is HS I had a stable of very fast RBs.  We would show up to other venues and the grass on the field would be about 8" tall and the sideline would be wet and muddy without it having rained.  I could see Jim Harbough pulling s#!t like that 

Hah! We had a 1st team all state RB in my class and our quarterfinals opponent hosed down their Astro turf field on game day with temps in the upper 30s / low 40s. We were one win away from playing Leon Jackson for the title. 

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Does Michigan have natural grass?  I remember is HS I had a stable of very fast RBs.  We would show up to other venues and the grass on the field would be about 8" tall and the sideline would be wet and muddy without it having rained.  I could see Jim Harbough pulling s#!t like that 

It's turf at the Big House. 

I remember playing Bellevue West and their grass field sucked a$$. It was long so you felt slow and heavy, but the dirt underneath was also uneven and hard as a rock.

Here’s an interesting thought I had after listening to this. 

How about going back to the QB getting a play, then having the ability to read the defense himself and audible into something else. 

So, 4th and 1 and you called a pass play and they are in cover 2, the QB changes to a run play. 

I know….novel idea. 

• TBH 1
4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

How about going back to the QB getting a play, then having the ability to read the defense himself and audible into something else.

This is where I’m at.  I’m kind of on the fence about it anyway.  If you don’t want your signs stolen, do something different.  That being said, having staff members dedicated to stealing signs seems trash to me.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

33 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This is where I’m at.  I’m kind of on the fence about it anyway.  If you don’t want your signs stolen, do something different.  That being said, having staff members dedicated to stealing signs signs seems trash to me.

It's always driven me crazy that college went away from the QBs reading the defense themselves.  Instead, they do their meerkat impersonation always looking to the sidelines.

I also don't have a problem with Michigan getting punished in some way.  They knew the rules.

SI write up on Stalion. Sounds like zealot. They have texts from him bragging to another teams locla zealot about stealing signs from videos. He has been around since 2017. Videos of him with Gattis, the new Maryland OC.

I think it will boil down to whether he let coaches know how he learned the signals and they have since denied any knowledge of it. Then its lying to the NCAA. It seems like he was out to impress them so its possiblethey just thought he got it from game film. Also the definition of a 'scout', since he was not at the games himself and not on paid staff until May of 22, although that is splitting hairs. 

Even if the coaches did not know, I bet they hit Harbaugh with, 'lack of institutional control' or something like that. 

https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/25/michigan-connor-stalions-texts-stolen-signals?utm_source=reddit.com

• Haha 1
45 minutes ago, nic said:

SI write up on Stalion. Sounds like zealot. They have texts from him bragging to another teams locla zealot about stealing signs from videos. He has been around since 2017. Videos of him with Gattis, the new Maryland OC.

I think it will boil down to whether he let coaches know how he learned the signals and they have since denied any knowledge of it. Then its lying to the NCAA. It seems like he was out to impress them so its possiblethey just thought he got it from game film. Also the definition of a 'scout', since he was not at the games himself and not on paid staff until May of 22, although that is splitting hairs. 

Even if the coaches did not know, I bet they hit Harbaugh with, 'lack of institutional control' or something like that. 

https://www.si.com/college/2023/10/25/michigan-connor-stalions-texts-stolen-signals?utm_source=reddit.com

I guess it's possible that they didn't ask enough questions about how they were getting them.  But it seems like it's pretty unrealistic that someone could get that detailed of information and just assume they're watching it on TV.

24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I guess it's possible that they didn't ask enough questions about how they were getting them.  But it seems like it's pretty unrealistic that someone could get that detailed of information and just assume they're watching it on TV.

True. Seems like someone would know. Watching TV, youtube and game film was part of it though. If he paid people to go to games it was because he couldn't be there himself. I doubt he studying the rulebook. He didn't do a very good job in 2020. 2-4 record. :D I doubt it offered much advantage anyway since coaches change signs to try and avoid them being stolen...which is legal. they just need headsets and be done with it.

• TBH 1