** 2023 Opponent Preview : Wisconsin (Game 11) **

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Dangit! Now they may discover a backup QB that can actually operate the offense Fickel wants. I would’ve been more than happy to face Wisconsin with Mordecai.

Looks like the new guy is a RFr transfer from Miss St.  Wasn’t too good in relief, 15/30 for 122 yards (4.1 ypa) and a 27.5 QBR.  But tough asking any QB to have their first game action vs Iowa’s D.

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Dangit! Now they may discover a backup QB that can actually operate the offense Fickel wants. I would’ve been more than happy to face Wisconsin with Mordecai.

I don't think Locke will be better, at least at this point - they pretty much hand-picked Mordecai to run this offense. Honestly I just don't think they have the receivers right now, and Longo is also realizing how much better/different Big Ten defenses are. They're also committed to not running Allen 30 times a game but no longer have a #2 RB. They'll probably have a game or two down the stretch where things click and they put up 30+ (hopefully not against us) but there might be a 4-INT dud in there as well.

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Because the new AD felt that a Chryst led program had plateaued.  Sure they could win 9 games each year playing in the B1G West.  But in the new division-less B1G (where they would have to play more of the better teams) that wasn’t going to cut it.

It’s something the brass at Iowa has yet to realize.  Kirk-ball works against the horrible B1G West teams, but gets ran over when they play a high level team.

I think it’s going to be a while until we see a legacy B1G West team in the CCG.  There will be no more free passes for being the tallest midget.

Fair points which I don’t argue, but I don’t know if I’d subscribe to that same philosophy - and not saying that you are, either.

Maybe my opinion is skewed by what followed Solich and Pelini and I definitely understand the desire for taking a program to the next level, but I hedge on firing a consistent successful coach. I wouldn’t argue against sticking by K Ferentz, but I’d have a problem with the contracts the AD dolled out and the nepotism with Brian. Similar here by trading Chryst for Fickell.

I’d lean toward incremental changes than completely changing up the staff. Oh well, hoping we can gain from potential mistakes made by our conference foes.

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Fair points which I don’t argue, but I don’t know if I’d subscribe to that same philosophy - and not saying that you are, either.

Maybe my opinion is skewed by what followed Solich and Pelini and I definitely understand the desire for taking a program to the next level, but I hedge on firing a consistent successful coach. I wouldn’t argue against sticking by K Ferentz, but I’d have a problem with the contracts the AD dolled out and the nepotism with Brian. Similar here by trading Chryst for Fickell.

I’d lean toward incremental changes than completely changing up the staff. Oh well, hoping we can gain from potential mistakes made by our conference foes.

Agree.  Way too often in sports, administrations make wholesale changes to staffs when it's possible to allow that HC to make small changes in their staff or modify their schemes..etc.  But, the HC needs to be open to that too.  

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I thought their backup looked much better.  This is also better for Nebraska since they have been pretty bad when they knock out the starter and the back up comes in.  Usually get torched 

9 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think Locke will be better, at least at this point - they pretty much hand-picked Mordecai to run this offense. Honestly I just don't think they have the receivers right now, and Longo is also realizing how much better/different Big Ten defenses are. They're also committed to not running Allen 30 times a game but no longer have a #2 RB. They'll probably have a game or two down the stretch where things click and they put up 30+ (hopefully not against us) but there might be a 4-INT dud in there as well.

Locke throws a better ball.  Felt like he sees things better.  He also had some really nice passes dropped.  That's all just from watching a shortened game recap.  Some people are gamers 

8 hours ago, Savage Husker said:

There was also some knee-jerking going on in Madison, as Wisconsin started the year 2-3 and got beat pretty badly by Ohio State and Illinois (the latter having the added bonus of being coached by Bielema).

• Fire 1

The high variance of a backup is that defenses don’t have film. A backup can either come in and fundamentally run a portion of a playbook or could completely change what an offense is capable of doing. Or they might be limited in some capacity(you know, they are the backup) and are easier to contain.

But once a game of two of film comes out, the reason they are a backup usually begins to show and competent defenses flex their advantage. Not everyone has Cardale Jones or Luke Falk waiting in the wings.

• 3 weeks later...

Wisconsin keeps having these games where they actually put up a decent amount of yards but really don't walk away with that many points. They had 344 yards of offense in their 20-14 loss to Indiana today (who racked up 261 on offense).

Obviously being -2 in the turnover margin was probably the difference maker.

Really surprised they lost to Indiana and Iowa.

11 hours ago, Undone said:

Wisconsin keeps having these games where they actually put up a decent amount of yards but really don't walk away with that many points. They had 344 yards of offense in their 20-14 loss to Indiana today (who racked up 261 on offense).

Obviously being -2 in the turnover margin was probably the difference maker.

Really surprised they lost to Indiana and Iowa.

Wisconsin's starting QB got injured midway through the Iowa game and has been out the past 2 games.  I think Braelon Allen was also out vs. Indiana, and seems to go off the field a lot during games with some type of "injury".  This is a very average Wisconsin team.

• Plus1 2