2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

15 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Is it me or does it seem that Marcus Washington hasn't really been brought up all spring? You'd think there would be more discussion given he is by far our leading receiver coming back from last year...

I think he's come up as much as anyone, he's expected to be a leader and I think he'll put up some solid numbers. I just worry about the room as a whole - they're all good players, but no DC is scared of a rotation of Washington, Kemp, IGC, and Fleeks. We really need Betts to be all-in and/or some of the freshman to be studs to be an above average offense IMO. Again I like them all, but I haven't seen anything indicating they can succeed as primary options. 

• TBH 1

21 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think he's come up as much as anyone, he's expected to be a leader and I think he'll put up some solid numbers. I just worry about the room as a whole - they're all good players, but no DC is scared of a rotation of Washington, Kemp, IGC, and Fleeks. We really need Betts to be all-in and/or some of the freshman to be studs to be an above average offense IMO. Again I like them all, but I haven't seen anything indicating they can succeed as primary options. 

I think Betts is our best receiver. He had some big plays for us in the past where he can run by people. Hopefully Rhule and co. can get him dialed in. 

• TBH 1
44 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Well, hopefully, this is a case of, they aren't scared of them....until they are.  Some of those guys haven't been on the field yet for Nebraska.  None of them have played in our new offense.  A year ago, I'm not sure anyone was really scared of Palmer.  Then....he had a hell of a year.

I'm fine with nobody really talking about how good this room is (outside of Nebraska).  Prove it on the field.  I personally think that we have some guys who, if used right, can make some pretty big plays.

• TBH 1
22 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, hopefully, this is a case of, they aren't scared of them....until they are.  Some of those guys haven't been on the field yet for Nebraska.  None of them have played in our new offense.  A year ago, I'm not sure anyone was really scared of Palmer.  Then....he had a hell of a year.

I'm fine with nobody really talking about how good this room is (outside of Nebraska).  Prove it on the field.  I personally think that we have some guys who, if used right, can make some pretty big plays.

For sure - I'm not saying there won't be any big plays. DBs are going to be scared of getting knocked out by Washington on a block like the Iowa DB and he'll run by a few of them on play action. IGC might have more explosiveness than I give him credit for, he did have some long catches against NW. For the most part though I think opposing defenses will be pretty comfortable in what they can call against us, and it'll be a grind. I don't think we'll be a Brian Ferentz level offense or anything but I am not expecting a lot of fireworks. Would love to be wrong.

The future is very bright though, and it wouldn't take a ton to change my mind about this year. Maybe Washington and IGC are more explosive than I think. Betts has WR1 size and athleticism, I just have to see the consistency. Coleman, Doss, and Bell all have a lot of upside, maybe one can be a difference maker this year. And maybe the TE room plays to their potential - if they do that, it would take a lot of pressure off the WRs. I just see more solid than good when I look at the WR room for this year. 

6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

For sure - I'm not saying there won't be any big plays. DBs are going to be scared of getting knocked out by Washington on a block like the Iowa DB and he'll run by a few of them on play action. IGC might have more explosiveness than I give him credit for, he did have some long catches against NW. For the most part though I think opposing defenses will be pretty comfortable in what they can call against us, and it'll be a grind. I don't think we'll be a Brian Ferentz level offense or anything but I am not expecting a lot of fireworks. Would love to be wrong.

The future is very bright though, and it wouldn't take a ton to change my mind about this year. Maybe Washington and IGC are more explosive than I think. Betts has WR1 size and athleticism, I just have to see the consistency. Coleman, Doss, and Bell all have a lot of upside, maybe one can be a difference maker this year. And maybe the TE room plays to their potential - if they do that, it would take a lot of pressure off the WRs. I just see more solid than good when I look at the WR room for this year. 

Betts and Coleman have superstar potential.  Fleeks and Kemp should be the most reliable in 23, maybe Washington gets his catches, but I see he rest as unknowns or a few years out.

I could see Kemp having a huge year.  IF Betts and Coleman are as fast as advertised.  Also IF Fidone stays healthy.  Kemp should be able to get the high percentage medium range catches.  I feel like across the board this WR room is the most talented they have had.  It's not one guy then a huge drop off and then another drop off.  Just solid.  Not the greatest show on turf, just solid.

• TBH 4

5 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

IGC might have more explosiveness than I give him credit for, he did have some long catches against NW. Maybe Washington and IGC are more explosive than I think.

IGC had plenty of athleticism, his problem was too many drops (in games and in practice) led to reduced playing time.

5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I could see Kemp having a huge year.  IF Betts and Coleman are as fast as advertised.  Also IF Fidone stays healthy.  Kemp should be able to get the high percentage medium range catches.  I feel like across the board this WR room is the most talented they have had.  It's not one guy then a huge drop off and then another drop off.  Just solid.  Not the greatest show on turf, just solid.

I wonder where the 2006 core would rank in terms of solidity. Purify, Nunn, Hardy, Swift, Petersen, with Lucky out of the backfield and like eight million dependable TEs.

I know some think in the media that Kemp will be the workhorse. I see him as a possession receiver more than a home-run threat. Yes he is supposed to be shifty and quick, but I believe I read his longest play from scrimmage is only 33 yards. Not a put down by any means, but he is definitely someone to find and throw to on third and long. I expect he will be productive.