2023 Fall Camp Notes - Wide Receivers and Tight Ends

Let's say Palmer was still on the team this season. I tend to doubt we'd be trying to chuck the ball deep all game long to him on posts & deep slants like last year. I just don't really see Rhule doing that; I think this is going to be a possession offense. There's probably going to be more grinding.

That's not to discount how much a great receiver does for your offense, though. And one of the biggest things is drawing double teams when a guy like that does go deep so that you can go somewhere else with the ball.

I know this thread is about the WR's & TE's, but the biggest concern I have for the passing game is whether Sims will have more than half a second to find somebody before he gets rekt. And then the second biggest concern honestly is how good he'll be at hitting guys that are wide open. If these first two things go well then I think our wide receiver room is more than sufficient.

On 7/28/2023 at 4:32 PM, Lorewarn said:

I wonder where the 2006 core would rank in terms of solidity. Purify, Nunn, Hardy, Swift, Petersen, with Lucky out of the backfield and like eight million dependable TEs.

Now that was a good group.  (still disappointed in Nunn's unforced fumble against :hookerhorns )

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

Let's say Palmer was still on the team this season. I tend to doubt we'd be trying to chuck the ball deep all game long to him on posts & deep slants like last year. I just don't really see Rhule doing that; I think this is going to be a possession offense. There's probably going to be more grinding.

That's not to discount how much a great receiver does for your offense, though. And one of the biggest things is drawing double teams when a guy like that does go deep so that you can go somewhere else with the ball.

I know this thread is about the WR's & TE's, but the biggest concern I have for the passing game is whether Sims will have more than half a second to find somebody before he gets rekt. And then the second biggest concern honestly is how good he'll be at hitting guys that are wide open. If these first two things go well then I think our wide receiver room is more than sufficient.

I will say this, his line was not good at GT.  Looked a lot like Nebraskas line last year.  Plenty of times he got sacked and he never even got a chance to set his feet let alone have a WR get into his route.  So at least he is prepared for that if line play doesn't improve.  But he also made some legit throws with people in his face or taking a hit as he throws.  If the line can give him even a little bit of time he will be fine

5 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Rhule gives you that awe shucks kinda vibe.  But damn he's pretty shrude.

I've said before that the difference between a Tom Osborne nice and a Mike Riley nice is that while Osborne was outwardly calm & collected, on the field he didn't take no s#!t from nobody. Hopefully Rhule's got some of that, too.

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Undone said:

If Palmer was on the team and they weren’t throwing to him deep, that would be a crime. 

I disagree that Rhule wouldn’t be doing that. 

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If Palmer was on the team and they weren’t throwing to him deep, that would be a crime. 

I disagree that Rhule wouldn’t be doing that. 

17 hours ago, brophog said:

Rhule will look to do it responsibly, play action, max protect, that sort of thing, but he absolutely wants to take his shots down the field.

Hang on. This is what I said:

"I tend to doubt we'd be trying to chuck the ball deep all game long to him..."

Nowhere did I say that Rhule won't try to take some deep shots, with or without a guy like Palmer on the team this season. The point was that this was like 80% of our offense last year as Whipple seemed to just sort of give up; just lob the ball deep to Palmer all game. Sometimes it went well, and sometimes it didn't. But the offense was very incomplete last season.

I predict there'll be a higher emphasis on running backs taking the ball and tight ends this season over last. But of course there will be deep passes downfield at times. Nobody would predict against that.    :)