Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So if teams do announce they are leaving like FSU what are the chances the B1G does add them?  Bc you would think the SEC would want to add the Florida teams and not us.

I don't think anyone is going to announce that they are leaving without knowing where they are going beforehand.

• TBH 1

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I don't think anyone is going to announce that they are leaving without knowing where they are going beforehand.

I agree with you but Florida State sure came close to saying it.  Seems they are pretty concerned they will get left behind.  

20 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

Idk, they're doing a lot of smack talking. Reeks of desperation, if you ask me. I personally think there's a lot going on behind the scenes at Clemson, but they're very good about keeping things close to the vest. Ex: The hiring of Garrett Riley. 

Agree.  Your fan base have a preference of destinations?  You guys geographically could go either way but Clemson feels like a better fit for the Big Ten than Florida State does.  

1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

So if teams do announce they are leaving like FSU what are the chances the B1G does add them?  Bc you would think the SEC would want to add the Florida teams and not us.

Florida would never allow another team from Florida into the SEC.  Clemson will have the same problem with South Carolina. 

24 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Agree.  Your fan base have a preference of destinations?  You guys geographically could go either way but Clemson feels like a better fit for the Big Ten than Florida State does.  

I think the general feel is we're fine with SEC or B1G as long as we're not left behind. 

Personally, I'd love the B1G just for the unique matchups that we haven't gotten to play in the past, at least for the first few years, before the honeymoon wears off and it gets to be a chore to travel so far to away games. The SEC is prob the best fit geographically, but the Gamecocks DO NOT want that. They don't want to see Clemson with SEC or B1G money, and they def don't want Clemson to come in and immediately be more successful than they've ever been in the conference. 

13 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Florida would never allow another team from Florida into the SEC.  Clemson will have the same problem with South Carolina. 

The SEC may care about what Florida thinks, but I doubt they give the slightest damn about what SC thinks. Florida is a founding member, SC is not.

If each president gets a vote, most teams are going to vote Clemson in...there's already multiple states with 2 teams (Alabama & Auburn, Ole Miss & Miss St, Texas & A&M, Tenn & Vandy) so why would those schools care if SC doesn't want Clemson in? 

• TBH 1
32 minutes ago, killer cacti said:

The SEC may care about what Florida thinks, but I doubt they give the slightest damn about what SC thinks. Florida is a founding member, SC is not.

If each president gets a vote, most teams are going to vote Clemson in...there's already multiple states with 2 teams (Alabama & Auburn, Ole Miss & Miss St, Texas & A&M, Tenn & Vandy) so why would those schools care if SC doesn't want Clemson in? 

I also think a lot of the "good ole boys" are no longer the ones voting.  Presidents will vote on what will makes things best for their school.

And if letting Clemson in means 5-10 million more for their school...well, that is a lot of professors that they can hire who will then set office hours but never actually be in their office. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

And if letting Clemson in means 5-10 million more for their school...well, that is a lot of professors that they can hire who will then set office hours but never actually be in their office.

Eh, it’s a lot more they can pay football coaches, have fancier recruiting events, use to hire support staff, and build waterfalls, slides, mini golf courses, and barber shops for the players.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:26 AM, Red Five said:

Cal and Stanford make zero sense if the goal is to maximize TV revenue.  I guess the academic benefits of having them along outweighs that?

Neither of these teams bring anything. Stanford maybe, but if you get Stanford you get Cal. And that would suck.

• Mavric changed the title to Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?