Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

While, I think the B1G would be better with them and they are a good fit, I still don't see that happening unless the conference gives them some special deal...which I am 1000% against.

If they were to join a conference you would think it would have to be the big10. I can't  imagine them in the sec.

• TBH 1
Just now, Red Five said:

Cal and Stanford make zero sense if the goal is to maximize TV revenue.  I guess the academic benefits of having them along outweighs that?

I think there is a good chance the Big 10 can bring them in at a reduced rate, at least initially.  Hopefully, our TV partners are willing to kick in extra to add the 4 teams, making the addition worthwhile for all schools in the conference.  All 4 of those schools would be foolish to turn down even a 60% big ten payday vs staying in the sinking Pac ay 20 million/year imo.  

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I think there is a good chance the Big 10 can bring them in at a reduced rate, at least initially.  Hopefully, our TV partners are willing to kick in extra to add the 4 teams, making the addition worthwhile for all schools in the conference.  All 4 of those schools would be foolish to turn down even a 60% big ten payday vs staying in the sinking Pac ay 20 million/year imo.  

I am probably wrong but just reading tea leaves, it seems like any additions to our conference wouldn’t get full shared revenue for the first couple of years. The Pac12 was willing to give increased, unequal revenue share to keep Oregon and Washington. That plus the increased likelihood of making a playoff in such a weak conference made those two schools seriously consider staying in the Pac12.

But the news of all but one game being on streaming each week and the fact that the other schools are thinking of jumping that sinking ship made Oregon and Washington resume their talks of leaving. Will be interesting to see who gets a Big12 lifeboat as well.

I hate to break it to Nicole, but the Big10 delivered the PAC12 death blow when they took USC and UCLA.

“I know people have rolled their eyes at this, but I do not think the Big Ten wants to be the one to deliver the final blow to the Pac-12. So, I expect they'll monitor what happens with the Big 12 first. Dominoes would need to fall there first to act.”

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lo country said:

A couple of things.  The author was not Jessica or Sir Yacht.  So it's possibly true.  Clemson is my 2nd fave team so that'd be great.  I also can't stand FSU for the 1994 Orange Bowl and the incredibly bad officiating.  We have exorcised our demons against UF and Miami.  I'd like to regularly kick FSU around.  

The bold :yeah

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Cal and Stanford make zero sense if the goal is to maximize TV revenue.  I guess the academic benefits of having them along outweighs that?

The academic benefits cannot be understated. Given how important the university presidents (aka the league shotcallers) view research dollars and sharing academic resources, this would be a significant benefit to all the schools involved. Crazy to think within 12-15 years Nebraska would go from our league partners being Texas Tech, K-State, & Oklahoma State to Stanford, Cal, & Michigan. Massive academic upgrades. 

That said, the schools offer nothing of significance in the core sports that attract eyeballs and advertising dollars. However, they are fairly dominant in many of the Olympic sports (rowing, diving, water polo, etc.) which add more TV content for the Big Ten Network. I can't imagine there is much more juice left to squeeze on the athletics front with TV, so wrapping in the research dollars and prestige would be the most obvious next step towards maximizing league value. After all, as 2020 taught us, most of the Big Ten university presidents don't care for national championships or athletics as much anyway. 

• Plus1 1
18 hours ago, lo country said:

A couple of things.  The author was not Jessica or Sir Yacht.  So it's possibly true.  Clemson is my 2nd fave team so that'd be great.  I also can't stand FSU for the 1994 Orange Bowl and the incredibly bad officiating.  We have exorcised our demons against UF and Miami.  I'd like to regularly kick FSU around.  

What demons did we ever have against Florida? 

• TBH 2
  • Mavric changed the title to Oregon & Washington to the B1G - Clemson & Florida State Next?