What did we learn

1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lets all take a step back folks.  We lost a tight game at the last second in perhaps our 3rd or 4th toughest game of the season with a brand new staff.  

We can start losing our minds come october if this s#!t still happening

While I don’t disagree that people like myself are overreacting because we are tired of losing like this, Minnesota is not a good football team. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Lets all take a step back folks.  We lost a tight game at the last second in perhaps our 3rd or 4th toughest game of the season with a brand new staff.  

While I agree with the sentiment of patience, that is a poor Minnesota team with a poor QB and really struggled running the ball. Maybe the 6th or 7th best we will see.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, gossamorharpy said:

Losing with a last second field goal to a very solid Minnesota team despite 4 turnovers is definitely not an "end of the world" situation. 

Yes, the turnovers need to be fixed.  Playcalling and AG, unfortunately, need to be focused on the turnover issue.  

The "identity" of being a running team is a bit in doubt as well.

But overall, I think Rhule will get this ship turned in the right direction.

Hopefully many of the supposed "fans" won't be on board, but once things improve, I'm sure they will.

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

THOUGHTS ON THE GAME:

1. Defense played their hearts out, and it was so refreshing to see blitzes called when they should be.
  2. There were positives, but also familiar negatives.
  3. I'm sorry for the young man, but Anthony Grant needs to move down the depth chart. If he was having fumbling issues in training camp he should not have been in the game during that critical situation. (That's on the coaches).
  4. This game came down to Turnover Margin & Game Management.

BIGGEST CONCERNS:

1. Nebraska's only touchdown came off a trick play. :blink:
  2. Nebraska's best rushing offense was from our QB. (This is NOT sustainable for a full season).
  3. A QB run game is fine in managible doses, but if we can't get a normal running game going with our O-Line and running backs it's going to be a long year.

FINAL THOUGHTS:

• When you lose six straight seasons it will take time and a lot of coaching to fix it. THIS. WIL.L TAKE. TIME.
  • Matt Rhule does need to sit down with Satterfield before the Coloroado to re-evaluate the offense and especially the play calling from the 2nd half.

Fair.  Valid.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Decked said:

Who the f#&% thought Jeff sims was better than Casey thompson?

This really hurt because Casey was a decent game manager.  Sims is JLo 2.0.  I’d seriously pull a 2 QB rotation. Let someone else manage the game, not turn it over and then use Sims in spots. This will also roll out the red carpet to get a serious stud QB recruit or top 3 portal guy because there is literally no one ahead of them.  We do not have a QB, I wasn’t expecting that. 

• Fire 1

The game was lost when Nebraska went three and out in the 4th with three straight passes. Three straight runs, even failing to pick up the first down, would have taken another 2+ minutes off of the clock & likely been the difference. We did the only thing we could do to give them a chance - preserving clock for them by throwing incomplete passes.

The Grant fumble was also inexcusable, because it should have been Gabe Ervin carrying the ball in the 4th. If you subtract Gabe’s longest run (27 yds) he still averaged 4 yds/carry on his remaining carries. Why do you take HIM OUT and put a player you have publicly said had fumble issues IN???

We win (even losing the turnover differential) if we run the ball on that passing three & out.

Sims does not appear to go through progressions. He telegraphs his throws & I’m guessing THAT is why he throws so many interceptions. Amazing we were in control as long as we were with all of those turnovers.

The defense looked good until they dinked their little sideline passes four times in a row to get in field goal range (they ran the play before the FG). Nebraska got away with what could have been pass interference calls a couple of times.

I do believe the nose of the football was touching the goal line when Sims elbow hit the ground.

The offensive line showed a good push several times - including the first offensive play from the 6 inch line.

The conditioning of the team looked very good. The effort was there for the whole game. No standing with hands on hips out of breath. 

Special Teams was a bright spot. Buschini had a great average and put all three punts inside the 20. Alvano got the first 4 points of his collegiate career & Rahmir Johnson ripped off an impressive kickoff return.

Billy Kemp and Fidone were almost no-shows.

I was surprised at some of the creative play calls (for a game one) - throwing to Haarberg and “the Osborne” were two.

Defeat snatched from the jaws of victory, yet again. We’re the Best 0-1 team in the country, I’m sure.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Decked said:

Unless this team rapidly ascends I think 4 wins is probably the end total

They'll get more than 4. There are quite a few tossup games out there we can pad the W's with noncon wins outside of CU.

10 minutes ago, Undone said:

This.

It's why I thought the preseason discussion of the wide receiver room holding us back was premature. I thought "let's wait until we see if Sims hits guys that are open/doesn't throw it into traffic."

I think this staff dialed into the idea of zone read because it was what they thought Alberts wanted. I'm happy to take a bunch of s*** for saying that. Thompson would have been a major asset on this roster, no matter what anybody says.

I never bought into Sims's highlight reels. They were all too easy of looks. Tons of time and wide open receivers. That ain't B1G football.

I don't even get why they wanted him as a runner? He's not all that fast. Illinois, Michigan, MSU and even Wisconsin are going to have the athletes to keep him in check since there is zero pass threat.

The worst part is we already know running the QB this much in B1G play isn't sustainable. He's going to miss games at some point if he's carrying the ball more than 10 times per game.

• Plus1 2