Will Rhule make it to year 4?

BoSolich

7 hours ago, everybody knows my name said:

Wow, I thought Minnesota had bad fans.

Based on last night's performance, I'd say Rhule is building a team that will be physical, detail oriented, and play at an accelerated pace.  And if he can get the personnel, that will be a winning combination.

Put the brakes on the loser bandwagon.  Your new coach, in his first game with an under-construction roster, playing new schemes, against a pretty good Big Ten team, on the road...almost won.

We basically played this same game against Minnesota two years in a row. Nothing has changed.

• Fire 1

You can’t fire Rhule but we can grade him.  It was bad.  My target is for Nebraska to be a ranked top 25 team consistently.  So I’ll give my grades against that measurement, meaning you have to get A’s in all these to be Top 25.

Passing game F

Run game D

O line D

Defense B-

D Line C-

Pass Coverage B-

Pass rush D

Special Teams C+

Clock management C-

Long way to go. I really thought we’d be C+/B- range but we have too many issues and I did not expect QB to be this much of a problem. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
15 hours ago, BoSolich said:

-TE felony arrest

-lets casey thompson walk

-couldn't beat a below average minnesota team. 

-loses our best linebacker in a transfer to michigan

-makes an 8-25 QB our starter

-says grant has fumbling issues. puts grant in when all we needed to do was not fumble

-couldn't find 1 go to receiver to throw to.

i'm probably missing some other stuff, but you get the idea. 

Actually a good point I don’t think so. I think a blow out loss would have been better than what we saw last night. Losing games at the end with a heavy dose of coach Mia management, and honestly 3 ints if it wasn’t for the td pass on a broken play that could have went south. That might have been the worst qb play I’ve ever seen at Nebraska. 

• Haha 2
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Even if we really tanked I still think he'd be here by year 4.  Trev's guy.

He’s not going to tank. He’s the right coach to fix this.  This game was just a pretest.  Not even talking about the turnovers, or lack of a passing game, if you fix the false starts we win this game. 

Rhule can fix this by next week. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my hat. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

He’s not going to tank. He’s the right coach to fix this.  This game was just a pretest.  Not even talking about the turnovers, or lack of a passing game, if you fix the false starts we win this game. 

Rhule can fix this by next week. If I’m wrong I’ll eat my hat. 

At the end of the day you're right.  It is just one game.  This team is still new in many ways.  I don't think we will tank either. 

7 hours ago, chamrocck said:

You can’t fire Rhule but we can grade him.  It was bad.  My target is for Nebraska to be a ranked top 25 team consistently.  So I’ll give my grades against that measurement, meaning you have to get A’s in all these to be Top 25.

Passing game F

Run game D

O line D

Defense B-

D Line C-

Pass Coverage B-

Pass rush D

Special Teams C+

Clock management C-

Long way to go. I really thought we’d be C+/B- range but we have too many issues and I did not expect QB to be this much of a problem. 

Can you explain that? I only saw one mistake by the special teams in the game, Kemp letting the first punt bounce that allowed it to roll down to the 1. All kickoffs were covered and didn't allow Minnesota to reach the 20 on their returns. Punts were good and they prevented any long returns. Alvano nailed his two kicks right down the middle, and Johnson had a 60 yard kick off return. There wasn't anything spectacular, but that feels like a B grade to me, especially if you give the Pass coverage a B-.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, chamrocck said:

Passing game F

Run game D

O line D

Defense B-

D Line C-

Pass Coverage B-

Pass rush D

Special Teams C+

Clock management C-

The horror that was the end of the 2nd Quarter, two timeouts both blown to nothing, makes Clock Management an F right there.  

Inexcusable.

18 hours ago, HuskerX said:

Last season (for example): Dykes (TCU), Sumrall (Troy), NM State, USC, Duke, Washington, LSU, Fresno State, Texas Tech, Oregon...and I'm sure many more.

You really are new to football. Tcu has had recent success. Tcu has had 3 winning seasons since 2017, we've had 0 

Troy has had 3 winning seasons since 2017 including only a 2 and a 3 loss season, we've had 0. New Mexico state had a winning record before their coach since 2017, we have had 0. Lsu recently won a championship not too long ago, usc had a 11-3 record during that time. Fresno State had a 2 loss season in 2018, Texas Tech had a winning season before their coach took over, Oregon had a 12-2 record two seasons before their coach took over.

Your examples all prove my point. All those programs had more recent success when their head coaches took over than Nebraska did. Can't "be great" in year 1 when you're taking over a disaster. If you actually paid attention to college football in the past then you'd realize no coach has turned it around in year 1 after inheriting a team that's had 6 straight losing seasons. 

• Plus1 2