****Michigan Game Thread****

2 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yes, I am not inspired by HH's play against teams at the Power 5 level. Even the basics were lacking in several instances which is why the cameras caught Rhule & Satt talking with him after several possessions. I'm not sure what you saw today from him that makes you believe in him, but I would argue that he is no better than Sims at this stage. I would have a very short trigger next week against Illinois because that game is winnable.

What do you propose Nebraska do? Sims is hurt and a turnover machine. Haarberg is inexperienced. The offense in general is woefully unequipped.

Like, I get the team isn't good, the offense in particular. But I just don't know what's expected of this staff and coaches in game 5 of their transition year. I don't necessarily "believe" in Haarberg but I'm looking across this roster and not really seeing anything inspirational.

• Plus1 3

20 minutes ago, knapplc said:

PLEASE JUST STOP WITH THIS NONSENSE.

Knapp, I actually agree with you and also with those that agreed with your statement.

It is a nonsensical comment on my part.

I do realize we are never going back to the Big 12. I just made the comment offhand based more on how I feel right now rather then reality.

These beatdowns on national television are getting old, and it might get worse once the four teams from the Pac-12 join the conference next year.

My mind just wandered to the thought of what it would be like for Nebraska to be back in the Big 12 right now, even if it's not the same Big 12, and to just play against teams closer to our region.

Thank you for letting me vent. I will do as asked, and will stop with the nonsense.

*Big Sigh*  I'm going to go open a few cold ones. :wasted Go Big Red!

See you next week everyone.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Why do you think Nebraska's current recruiting philosophy is hinged upon 25-year-old success?

Nebraska's NIL potential is definitely among the more favorable across the college football landscape. I have very little concern about them being able to come up with necessary funds if they really believe a recruit is worth their investment.

Is that NIL bringing in any Travis Hunters?  Quin Ewers?  NO.  Its bringing in players like Jeff Simms.  Come on.  Money is just money.  Money and winning is the right combo.  We have to win some games first then maybe our suitcases of cash will do someone some good, but I keep hearing our plentiful our bags are, but not seeing it bring in difference makers.  I don't care how big 1890 funds are, not until we start bringing in great portal players or 5 star Qb's.  Regardless, show me the money is a 90's thing.  EIther we bring in coaches like Prime or we build a program like Yes, like K-State has right now.  They recruit, develop, and get a few difference makes from the portal.   I think Rhule has a chance to do that, but he has to do that.  NIL money is not the same here that it is at Bama or Georgia or Texas.  Those teams are nationally relevant.

Whenever I see Rutgers playing football or basketball, I often think to myself “why did the Big 10 invite them to join,” aside from the NYC market idea. Lately, I’ve been wondering how often other fan bases wonder that about Nebraska. Aside from Volleyball, we have done little to nothing in  Big 10 sports. Sad times. I hope one day I can be one of those patient fans and have a wait until next year mentality. 

Just now, Enhance said:

What do you propose Nebraska do? Sims is hurt and a turnover machine. Haarberg is inexperienced. The offense in general is woefully unequipped.

Like, I get the team isn't good, the offense in particular. But I just don't know what's expected of this staff and coaches in game 5 of their transition year. I don't necessarily "believe" in Haarberg but I'm looking across this roster and not really seeing anything inspirational.

For one, sub him out in a blowout. I was trying to understand what good could come from keeping him out there all game long where he consistently struggled.

Best case - he gets consecutive passes completed and shows some flow. Inspires teammates to believe that he is still their guy and heads into a short week with a little confidence back for a beatable opponent. 

Worst case - he gets hurt by a sack from a 3rd stringer on a title contender trying to make the travel roster again later in the year.

The upside just seemed low versus the risk. And if he's our guy for the rest of the year, the staff needs to protect him in those situations.

If anyone else starts suggesting Nebraska return to the Big 12, my finger might just accidentally go through the multi-click process of muting you.

I'm kidding.

(sort of)

But, seriously - posts like that are incredibly obtuse. Nebraska is in one of the most stable conferences in the country with one of the most lucrative TV deals. It is incredibladvantageous for the university and the football program, even if the program hasn't been able to turn those resources into wins yet. Objectively speaking, going back to the Big 12 makes almost no sense and is a bad business deal.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Whenever I see Rutgers playing football or basketball, I often think to myself “why did the Big 10 invite them to join,” aside from the NYC market idea. Lately, I’ve been wondering how often other fan bases wonder that about Nebraska. Aside from Volleyball, we have done little to nothing in  Big 10 sports. Sad times. I hope one day I can be one of those patient fans and have a wait until next year mentality. 

I would say Nebraska has brought an amazing volleyball team, sometimes good baseball team, and an exceptional women's bowling team.

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

NIL and the transfer portal has made the term "transition year" a joke.

Rhule will not get it done at Nebraska.  College football is no longer about development.