What did we learn Michigan Game

32 minutes ago, Ratt Mhule said:

I expected us to lose, but I was hoping we would at least put up a fight or be competitive. I wasnt at the game, but from what I hear from people who were, the team looked disinterested during the tunnel walk and it showed on the field. That is more concerning than the actual results and shows me there is a lack of buy in with this staff. 

No offense intended (because this isn't directed at you) but I call BS on the bolded. That's little more than confirmation bias resulting from the team playing poorly and being mismatched. The '07 Tunnel Walk against USC is often lauded as one of the most energetic in the stadium's history and it didn't mean a thing 20 minutes later when they were getting their asses kicked.

I understand the dejection/frustration after a loss like that, but there is almost no value to be found by turning it into some kind of hypothetical microcosm of the team's mental state and commitment to the staff.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ratt Mhule said:

Nebraska football is dead. I never thought I would get to the point where I dont watch til the end of the game, let alone an entire half. Donors need to save their money on this ridiculous $450 million stadium project. Its pointless, it means nothing when people wont show up and people need to stop showing up. The program is a money pit. 

Plus $165 million North Expansion Project.  Buyout $$ was/is pennies.

money-rain-cash.gif

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I guess I didn’t say they were actually teaching it.   The fact that it hasn’t been corrected after 2 plus years is weird.  

I don't think that's necessarily true, at least not in all cases. QB mechanics and throwing motions can be really difficult to change, perhaps even detrimental to the QB's overall potential. The below article is specifically talking about NFL quarterbacks, but I think the message its sending is relatable to a high school QB transitioning to college. Bottom line being, it can be really tough to change throwing motions/mechanics once a bad foundation has already been set.

LINK

“If a guy throws a certain way, and you think, ‘We’re going to teach him at 23 to throw it differently,’ he might do it in practice and might do it in drills, but you throw him into an NFL game in the heat of a battle, and he’s going to resort to who he is and what he’s always done,” Shanahan said.

Most teams and experts within the industry know there is a cap on how much improvement can be made, because, as Shanahan later added, throwing isn’t something you can teach. No matter how good the coaching is, a 55 percent passer isn’t going to turn into Drew Brees. If someone looks ugly throwing the football coming out of college, odds are that player will still look ugly throwing the ball in the NFL.

Just now, NebraskaHarry said:

Take $10 million in NIL and put it towards getting the best 10 offensive and defensive lineman out there. Screw half a billion in stadium renovations. Start with the lines. Pretty sure Nebraska can get a half way competent o-line coach for pennies if the talent is there to carry the weight. Pun intended.

Just because they have money doesn't mean they're going to convince the best offensive and defensive linemen out there to come to Nebraska. We need to eliminate the line of thinking that directly correlates money to success.

This program has had money for decades and look what it has won them in the last 20 years. Not much.

Also, stadium renovations and NIL are not an either/or scenario. They can't even fund NIL from some of the potential sources they're going to use to fund the renovations.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

Take $10 million in NIL and put it towards getting the best 10 offensive and defensive lineman out there. Screw half a billion in stadium renovations. Start with the lines. Pretty sure Nebraska can get a half way competent o-line coach for pennies if the talent is there to carry the weight. Pun intended.

Thank you. We need to build from the inside out. Then qb1 is the most important position to upgrade. 
I’m actually ok with how the d line is looking. we have some true freshman being immediate impact players which is encouraging. 

• Plus1 2

While the Michigan game was slightly worse than I expected, I still expected NU to lose handily. The talent gap and overall execution of the teams are far too wide.  I have always said that rebuilding a program starts with beating teams that NU is even or more talented than.

The good news is that NU has 3 straight games to see if Rhule and staff have made progress with this team. NU plays 3 opponents which NU has lost 5 of 6 games over the past 2 years. These games are very winnable, with 2 at home. NU hasn’t won 3 straight games since 2016, but I’m not going to make any judgement on the staff or direction of the program until the end of October.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't think that's necessarily true, at least not in all cases. QB mechanics and throwing motions can be really difficult to change, perhaps even detrimental to the QB's overall potential. The below article is specifically talking about NFL quarterbacks, but I think the message its sending is relatable to a high school QB transitioning to college. Bottom line being, it can be really tough to change throwing motions/mechanics once a bad foundation has already been set.

LINK

I agree that very little in football is true in all cases.  HH is 6’ 5” and has had roughly 10% of his pass attempts batted down at the line of scrimmage so far.  That’s a crazy rate.   The NFL average is like 1.5% I believe.  It’s a problem that needs corrected.  

HH really has no great potential as a QB moving forward as others have noted and previous coaches probably noticed too based on his depth chart positioning so changing mechanics for the better would not be detrimental to his performance going forward.   His current performance as a passer is already subpar. 

I understand what Kyle S is saying but that’s also talking about a 23 yr old NFL drafted player who says “ this motion got me in to the league” vs a 18/19 HS QB playing 4th or 5th string with coaches saying here’s where you need to get better.   So it isn’t apples to apples at all.    It would be similar to saying well the senior in HS is hard to change his motion so we can assume the 8th grader won’t be able to change either.  

Now all that said, if HH arms slot is the only one he can get his limited effectiveness with, then he needs to be taught how to find passing lanes, or pass blocking technique needs to be changed to create throwing lanes for him.  Both of which are possible.  

Or maybe the coaches have said “this is what we got this year and there isn’t much upside to the work it takes to change him so let it ride cause someone else is playing next year anyways”. 

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

At this point I agree.   It’s funny to me when an 18 yr old player doesn’t think getting $300,000 a year (just pulling a random number but is possib) at NU is the same as getting $100,000 at pick your SEC school.  Make the NIL money impossible to say no to and rebuild the lines.  

Then a QB will say sure I’d like to play behind that line, and yeah I’ll talk to these two WR’s about joining me.   

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

I agree that very little in football is true in all cases.  HH is 6’ 5” and has had roughly 10% of his pass attempts batted down at the line of scrimmage so far.  That’s a crazy rate.   The NFL average is like 1.5% I believe.  It’s a problem that needs corrected.  

HH really has no great potential as a QB moving forward as others have noted and previous coaches probably noticed too based on his depth chart positioning so changing mechanics for the better would not be detrimental to his performance going forward.   His current performance as a passer is already subpar. 

I understand what Kyle S is saying but that’s also talking about a 23 yr old NFL drafted player who says “ this motion got me in to the league” vs a 18/19 HS QB playing 4th or 5th string with coaches saying here’s where you need to get better.   So it isn’t apples to apples at all.    It would be similar to saying well the senior in HS is hard to change his motion so we can assume the 8th grader won’t be able to change either.  

Now all that said, if HH arms slot is the only one he can get his limited effectiveness with, then he needs to be taught how to find passing lanes, or pass blocking technique needs to be changed to create throwing lanes for him.  Both of which are possible.  

Or maybe the coaches have said “this is what we got this year and there isn’t much upside to the work it takes to change him so let it ride cause someone else is playing next year anyways”. 

Haarberg is in his 3rd year at NU, so if he was going to change his throwing motion, it needed to be done under the previous staff. I’m not a fan of his motion, but it is what it is.  Supposedly Rhule was asked about HH’s motion in the press conference, and Rhule answered they looked at it in the Spring, but couldn’t change anything.  I actually think the coaches wanted Haarberg to be 3rd string QB, with getting snaps at TE (which he did early in the season). But, Purdy was limited with injuries and Sims got injured as well, thrusting HH into the starting role.

Nobody knows how injured Sims still is, but if it’s a high ankle sprain, they can linger for a while, and it limits what he’s best at (running the ball). If Haarberg is able to limit mistakes, and keep NU in games this year, I think he’s serviceable (but not good). I actually did think he had one good pass yesterday where Michigan took away a slant route to Kemp, and HH stayed with Kemp as Kemp continued on his route through the zone defense. HH made a good pass and it was a good play. For this year, I’m just looking for some way for NU to win games. I don’t know who the answer at QB is this year, just because it’s an overall mess. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

At this point I agree.   It’s funny to me when an 18 yr old player doesn’t think getting $300,000 a year (just pulling a random number but is possib) at NU is the same as getting $100,000 at pick your SEC school.  Make the NIL money impossible to say no to and rebuild the lines.  

Then a QB will say sure I’d like to play behind that line, and yeah I’ll talk to these two WR’s about joining me.   

This all day and twice on Saturdays. Our priorities have been all wrong.  We chase a star QB who’s uncle is the OL coach. Guess what that kid has front seat knowledge about how bad his uncle’s OL is!  He has heard for his uncle’s firing firsthand. He also knows his uncle is not in the status of other coaches he knows that will get him the lineman he needs to keep him upright. This is a complete joke!

We don’t win until we rebuild the OL. 

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

LINK

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2017/6/9/15682584/patrick-mahomes-texas-tech-chiefs

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/qb-coach-says-49ers-trey-lance-needed-drastic-adjustment-to-throwing-motion-now-has-patrick-mahomes-support/amp/

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

This all day and twice on Saturdays. Our priorities have been all wrong.  We chase a star QB who’s uncle is the OL coach. Guess what that kid has front seat knowledge about how bad his uncle’s OL is!  He has heard for his uncle’s firing firsthand. He also knows his uncle is not in the status of other coaches he knows that will get him the lineman he needs to keep him upright. This is a complete joke!

We don’t win until we rebuild the OL. 

I agree. Michigan built the OL and DL first. They made it to their first CFP with Cade McNamara who is now the injured starting Iowa QB. Cade was a game manager and tough competitive  kid out of Nevada. He could not come close to beating out the current M QB so he transferred.

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Individual drill and development work along these lines does not exist much once you're in the season. Teams will generally spend a few minutes on it in practice just to try and keep players sharp and hopefully get teeny tiny bits of progress but the amount of time and attention that something like this takes just doesn't and can't exist in the middle of the season when you're spending all your time on scouting and install for the next opponent.

• Haha 1