What did we learn Michigan Game

16 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

How many more top 25 recruiting classes do we need? 

This is what is truly mind boggling.  We have recruited in the top 25 for quite a while.  I know after adjustments we have some drop, but you'd figure we be doing better based on rankings.  But each previous coach gets blamed for the lack of  success of the predecessor.  Bo left the cupboard empty for Riley who had to go all Calibraska, who left nada for Frost who went all NOTE-I have no idea what he did and left the cupboard bare for Rhule.....Bo was mean and made people feel bad, Riley was an a$$ hat more concerned with ice cream sprinkles and werthers caramels and hip hip hooray, Frost was a complete fraud who developed no one and had most of his skill guys move on which leaves Rhule with no apparent OL back ups, no "true" QB, no receivers (past 3 years our best was a portal guy) and holes most every where.  Hope he can develop as well as advertised and he attacks the portal like nobodies business...

• Plus1 2

I learned that if I leave at halftime, go to the nearest grocery store and grab a few things, I miss absolutely nothing I regret and most of the 2nd half.

Oh, and this is a complete rebuild of the first magnitude. We simply do not have a P5 roster and player development has been nonexistent. I can’t name one offensive player that would make a negative difference if they left. Not one. Cupboards are absolutely bare and any portal additions were a gigantic miss. This gon be awhile or we’re going to have to get extremely active (and lucky) in the portal. Can’t imagine the quality of players we need are dying to play for a below middling B1G West program. NIL money might entice a few here and there but we have to start winning to generate interest. The hill is very steep. Thanks Scott.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 4

32 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I learned that if I leave at halftime, go to the nearest grocery store and grab a few things, I miss absolutely nothing I regret and most of the 2nd half.

Oh, and this is a complete rebuild of the first magnitude. We simply do not have a P5 roster and player development has been nonexistent. I can’t name one offensive player that would make a negative difference if they left. Not one. Cupboards are absolutely bare and any portal additions were a gigantic miss. This gon be awhile or we’re going to have to get extremely active (and lucky) in the portal. Can’t imagine the quality of players we need are dying to play for a below middling B1G West program. NIL money might entice a few here and there but we have to start winning to generate interest. The hill is very steep. Thanks Scott.

And spend NIL big. Ohio State 3rd string QB has a brand new Audi from NIL.  They are working to keep guys there that won't see the field for a year or two. 

45 minutes ago, lo country said:

This is what is truly mind boggling.  We have recruited in the top 25 for quite a while.  I know after adjustments we have some drop, but you'd figure we be doing better based on rankings.  But each previous coach gets blamed for the lack of  success of the predecessor.  Bo left the cupboard empty for Riley who had to go all Calibraska, who left nada for Frost who went all NOTE-I have no idea what he did and left the cupboard bare for Rhule.....Bo was mean and made people feel bad, Riley was an a$$ hat more concerned with ice cream sprinkles and werthers caramels and hip hip hooray, Frost was a complete fraud who developed no one and had most of his skill guys move on which leaves Rhule with no apparent OL back ups, no "true" QB, no receivers (past 3 years our best was a portal guy) and holes most every where.  Hope he can develop as well as advertised and he attacks the portal like nobodies business...

I agree in that Nebraska should have absolutely had some better seasons recently at least based on the talent they brought in.

That said, I look at this current team and think their situation makes sense. #41 ranked composite recruiting class last season, five presumed offensive starters/contributors either gone or injured, not a lot of all-conference caliber talent leftover from the last regime. Some people think NIL and the transfer portal is the answer but money alone isn't going to get kids here. Recruits need to know they're going to a situation that can develop them into something bigger and better and right now Nebraska isn't that.

I know many fans feel like they've waited long enough, but I think Trev and Rhule have been pretty honest all along about what this might look like. I get the impatience on our part but immediate success isn't necessarily indicative of sustainability, either. That's why we've probably got to wait for another off-season or two until we can really see what Rhule and his staff are capable of.

• Plus1 6
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I would argue against the bolded pretty strongly. The best players of the Riley era were all of Bo's recruits. Hell some of the best from Frost era in Stanley Morgan, the Davis twins, and JD Spielman were all recruited heavily by the Pelini staff. Hate him or love him, Pelini was able to identify exceptional talent and developed quite a few into pretty good players. 

I'd like to think Rhule has some of that skill in identifying talent and hope to see that development come as the year(s) go on. Promising start to that with snagging Lenhardt, Van Poppel, & Princewell along the defensive front. 

I honestly thought Haarberg looked pretty good. Not sure why they never called the designed QB draws for him that had worked so well. There were some big gaps for the taking on those drop backs. 

Seriously. I'm not kidding. HH threw some sharp passes today. Coulda done better with better parts, and maybe more than 40 frikkin offensive plays. 

• Plus1 3

Michigan has a varsity OL and we have a freshman OL.  

I know we are not flipping the roster Deion style but I would do it on a micro level with the OL.  Bring in a top hire and just flip it with a big NIL focus. These Pac 12 high flying offenses are coming and guess what…we are not getting speedsters like USC and Oregon get. At least not yet. Why? Because we have no foundation on the OL. The skill guys know they only see the ball behind a good OL.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I honestly thought Haarberg looked pretty good. Not sure why they never called the designed QB draws for him that had worked so well. There were some big gaps for the taking on those drop backs. 

Seriously. I'm not kidding. HH threw some sharp passes today. Coulda done better with better parts, and maybe more than 40 frikkin offensive plays. 

i think it needs to be seen how Haarberg progresses the rest of the season against some of lower level big10 teams. If he looks good then I think you can build around him in the offseason. If he struggles then I think you have to look at adding a starting QB in the portal.

simply put satterfield needs to be on the hotseat. 10ppg in 3 power 5 games is awful.

• Plus1 1

We were up against a quality team.  We barely showed up for that.  As pointed out in several ways here.  Our QB is there, he may be a bit of an exception as to attitude and using his abilities the very best he can.  But of course the O-Line is just barely there.. so:  Not much offense to speak of. 

D showed little in the way of physically challenging each play coming at them from a highly ranked team.  They were beaten, gassed, and punked, similar to the O-Line.

Coaches.  Head Coach.  Um... we hopefully are past the point of thinking of canning another in a long string of coaches who come here and are victimized by the culture.   In the very long run any coach with any chops at all will make us into a 6 or 7 (or maybe more) win team, bowl every year.  It'll be okay in that respect.  We just have to stick with him, and hopefully he'll stick with us.