Potential Assistant coach change(s)

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

I have no info, but wondering if this is as an analyst while he collects his buyout.

Dana doesn’t seem to be the type of grinder that Rhule looks for in his assistants.

Dude is great with QB's and offense.  

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 2

The downside as an on the field coach is Holgorsen really hates recruiting.

It would be an enormous shot in the arm for this offense though, as this staff desperately needs to completely restructure this passing game. Whatever role he takes, it'll be a big influence because the Air Raid brings a structured approach that, imo, Satterfield has always lacked.

Some may be wondering how the Air Raid matches with Rhule's stated offensive philosophy, and to that I'll say to look at Michigan. A lot of their passing game is based on Air Raid concepts. You don't need 4 tiny wide receivers to utilize this approach it just started that way because the Air Raid, like most offensive systems, was designed to solve roster limitations at a school that didn't recruit the way the bigger schools did.

Whatever role he ultimately takes, it will help solve the biggest problem this offense had last year: rhythm and timing. Our passing concepts had no sense of timing in their progressions and the QBs often held the ball, way, way longer than you can realistically expect to block. That's literally the problem the Air Raid was designed to solve.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Holgorsen would be a really interesting addition.  I'm guessing Rhule has a relationship with him, because it's not a scheme fit.  Which could be really electric or combustible.  Again, interesting.  Those Air Raid guys seem to be true believer, blood oath Air Raid guys.  

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, brophog said:

The downside as an on the field coach is Holgorsen really hates recruiting.

It would be an enormous shot in the arm for this offense though, as this staff desperately needs to completely restructure this passing game. Whatever role he takes, it'll be a big influence because the Air Raid brings a structured approach that, imo, Satterfield has always lacked.

Some may be wondering how the Air Raid matches with Rhule's stated offensive philosophy, and to that I'll say to look at Michigan. A lot of their passing game is based on Air Raid concepts. You don't need 4 tiny wide receivers to utilize this approach it just started that way because the Air Raid, like most offensive systems, was designed to solve roster limitations at a school that didn't recruit the way the bigger schools did.

Whatever role he ultimately takes, it will help solve the biggest problem this offense had last year: rhythm and timing. Our passing concepts had no sense of timing in their progressions and the QBs often held the ball, way, way longer than you can realistically expect to block. That's literally the problem the Air Raid was designed to solve.

All coaches hate recruiting.  All that matters is if they are good at it.

More than likely...he will never "recruit" anyway.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Dude is great with QB's and offense.  

Yeah I'll never forget when he was HC at West Virginia and put a 70 burger on Clemson and Dabo Swinney in the 2012 Orange Bowl LOL

He won 10 games 2 or 3 times with WV and 12-2 at Houston one year.  Loves offense and leans on Air Raid with good running backs. Played small time college football in Iowa and got recruited by the great Mike Leach.  

Whatever capacity they can get from Holgorsen is worth it.  15 years or so as a head coach means he knows a thing or two.  And that is going to help a lot.

• Plus1 1

In regards to Holgerson he's the better OC, and he's the better QB coach when compared to Satterfield.  If you're going to bring him in, I just don't see how it would make sense as an analyst, unless that's all he wants.  Even if that was the case, I'd still try and talk him into taking the QB coach role at a minimum, if not Co-OC or passing game coordinator.

It would hurt me to watch Satterfield coaching Raiola when we have a guy like Holgerson in the building.  Given how much we have invested in Raiola, it would seem we'd be best served by giving him the best possible coaching.  As an analyst Holgerson wouldn't have direct contact with players.

There's a way to make this work. Kick Martin back down to an analyst role, move Satterfield to TEs and let Dana coach QBs.

Regardless, whether as an analyst or full time assistant, having Holgerson on staff in any capacity makes it harder to justify Satterfield's salary.  

• Plus1 2
47 minutes ago, admo said:

Yeah I'll never forget when he was HC at West Virginia and put a 70 burger on Clemson and Dabo Swinney in the 2012 Orange Bowl LOL

He won 10 games 2 or 3 times with WV and 12-2 at Houston one year.  Loves offense and leans on Air Raid with good running backs. Played small time college football in Iowa and got recruited by the great Mike Leach.  

Whatever capacity they can get from Holgorsen is worth it.  15 years or so as a head coach means he knows a thing or two.  And that is going to help a lot.

The team that had Geno Smith, Tavon Austin and Bailey was fun to watch.  I don’t remember the year.  It was just crazy to watch.

• Oh Yeah! 2

11 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Holgerson is a good qb coach & too good for analyst position. 

The hot new thing is to get fired and take on an analyst position at another major program for a year or two.

• Plus1 1