Potential Assistant coach change(s)

14 hours ago, Toe said:

You must be new around here. Welcome to HuskerBoard!

It's nauseating to read sometimes. Fire this guy, fire that guy, he isn't good enough....blah blah. All this after one year. I am glad the regents didn't listen to fans when they wanted Osborne's head. Stay the course. Rhule has stabilized the situation and flushing out the bad culture and replacing it with a winning attitude. You really think it would happen overnight? 

GBR!!!

• Haha 1
  • TBH 5

36 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

It's nauseating to read sometimes. Fire this guy, fire that guy, he isn't good enough....blah blah. All this after one year. I am glad the regents didn't listen to fans when they wanted Osborne's head. Stay the course. Rhule has stabilized the situation and flushing out the bad culture and replacing it with a winning attitude. You really think it would happen overnight? 

GBR!!!

Relax, it was a joke! 

2 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

Well......  Yes......!   Bringing Dana in as a cheap analyst and Glenn Thomas as QB coach and co-OC that covers all the bases for learning AND for further growth if Satt doesnt work out..  Why would you not want to develop the guys that you are already paying as opposed to canning them and STILL paying them..??  

With the resources we have, why are we bringing in D tier OC's with an aim to develop them?

Satterfield is not very good.  The players and results from his last job would agree.  

Someone earlier stated Rhule likes to develop people.  Development of a 19 year old kid in readiness for life and a career in sports is different than developing a lead coordinator who's critical in turning a program around.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5

I'm all for staff continuity I just fear that Satt will be the weakest link in this coaching staff. I don't think this year was all his fault. You can put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig. This years offense was going to struggle no matter who was calling the plays. But his offenses at South Carolina were decent and did show some improvement from year 1 to year 2 but they lacked much consistency. He'd call an unbelievable game (like when they beat Clemson or Tennessee) and then an absolute stinker (like against Florida or Mizzou). I hope I'm wrong, but I never really like the hire and idk if he was really the best option then, or is the best guy for the job now. But I am going to trust Rhule because he has forgot more about football then pretty much any of us here know

35 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

With the resources we have, why are we bringing in D tier OC's with an aim to develop them?

Satterfield is not very good.  The players and results from his last job would agree.  

Someone earlier stated Rhule likes to develop people.  Development of a 19 year old kid in readiness for life and a career in sports is different than developing a lead coordinator who's critical in turning a program around.  

You think Satt is a "D" tier coach..?? 

"The players and results from his last job would agree."

His last job, 2 yrs at South Carolina..??  first year having QB injury issues and having to play 4 QB's ending the season with 7 wins then the following season with 8 wins beating Tennessee, Clemson and breaking many offensive production records..??

Satt may not be a splash hire but he obviously has the work ethic that Matt Rhule demands and a coaching style that seems to motivate those under him...  He also has 2 years left on a substantial contract and only 1 year working with a very difficult situation in the QB, running back and receivers room last year... 

My guess is we will get him some help scheming and with the young men we have brought into said rooms, lets see what he can do with a full cupboard..

This thought about just tossing an OC out after 1 yr is ludicrous and does absolutely nothing towards building continuity which is essential for turning a program around..

JMHO.   

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 7

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

His last job, 2 yrs at South Carolina..??  first year having QB injury issues and having to play 4 QB's ending the season with 7 wins then the following season with 8 wins beating Tennessee, Clemson and breaking many offensive production records..??

Satt may not be a splash hire but he obviously has the work ethic that Matt Rhule demands and a coaching style that seems to motivate those under him...  He also has 2 years left on a substantial contract and only 1 year working with a very difficult situation in the QB, running back and receivers room last year... 

My guess is we will get him some help scheming and with the young men we have brought into said rooms, lets see what he can do with a full cupboard..

This thought about just tossing an OC out after 1 yr is ludicrous and does absolutely nothing towards building continuity which is essential for turning a program around..

JMHO.   

I heard part of Dylan flipping was the ability to have autonomy over the offense and call plays on the field. Satt is just a figurehead 

:stir

• Haha 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • Worth a Look 1
3 hours ago, twofittyonred said:

JMHO.   

The cost of bad hires is more pronounced given the landscape of college football.  Having a bad OC at the same time as pulling in the school's highest rated recruit, an offensive player, at the most critical position on a team, is something to key on. 

Hope I'm wrong, but Satterfield does not seem to be the guy.

It doesn't take much effort to find a slew of commentary and takes about how bad he was at SC.  Couple those comments with the results we saw last year, and he rightfully should be scrutinized.

• TBH 1
10 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

The cost of bad hires is more pronounced given the landscape of college football.  Having a bad OC at the same time as pulling in the school's highest rated recruit, an offensive player, at the most critical position on a team, is something to key on. 

Hope I'm wrong, but Satterfield does not seem to be the guy.

It doesn't take much effort to find a slew of commentary and takes about how bad he was at SC.  Couple those comments with the results we saw last year, and he rightfully should be scrutinized.

This is the 4th place he's been on Rhule's staff.  Rhule has picked him 4 times.  They worked together at Western Carolina prior to that. 

Again, not saying he's the right guy, but he needs a chance with a full deck.  Or something closer to one than he had.

Although Temple finished 2–10 during Satterfield's first year in 2013, the Owls' offense amassed nearly 400 yards per game, the most by a Temple squad since 1979

In 2022, the Gamecocks finished the regular season 8-4, with the last two regular season games being wins over highly ranked rivals Tennessee and Clemson. The Gamecocks scored 30 or more points in 9 games (including the bowl game) for the first time in school history and broke numerous offensive production records in Satterfield’s final season.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

This is the 4th place he's been on Rhule's staff.  Rhule has picked him 4 times.  They worked together at Western Carolina prior to that. 

Again, not saying he's the right guy, but he needs a chance with a full deck.  Or something closer to one than he had.

Firstly - I believe Rhule is the guy.  He obviously likes Satt.  Rhule's one-second-running opinion on the matter is infinitely weightier than all fans' opinions.

Rhule did handpick Sims.  So he's not batting 1.000.  But, Rhule is the guy.

The '22 commentary on Satt, from those players, was rough.  His situational play calling and complexity as notables.  With Sims and HH as some of the worst we've had, how did Satterfield adjust to either improve either or mitigate their known weaknesses?   HH's decision making and mechanics regressed throughout the year.  He threw sidearm and had no mentality to read a D and make a good choice, much less deliver an. accurate ball.

The man in charge of that room followed Rhule to NU and now is responsible for developing our highest rated recruit of all time.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

A lot of good players seem to have no problem signing up to play for Satterfield.   I'd like to see him get his redemption in year 2.

That being said, if Holgorsen is truly interested in the OC job, then obviously you hire him.  That's an easy decision to make.  Football is a meritocracy, afterall.

I just have my doubts he's interested in being Nebraska's OC.

5 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

With Sims and HH as some of the worst we've had, how did Satterfield adjust to either improve either or mitigate their known weaknesses?  

That's a simple one and one where I'm actually impressed with Satterfield.  He went to a way more run heavy offense trying to use the option.  Yes....we still had to pass some.  No offense today could run 100% of the time.  

But....if Dylan is really as good as advertised and we have decent WRs, expect next year to be way more like what he really wants to run (while still being simplified some due to a true freshman QB).  And, I expect us to pass more.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

The '22 commentary on Satt, from those players, was rough.  His situational play calling and complexity as notables.  With Sims and HH as some of the worst we've had, how did Satterfield adjust to either improve either or mitigate their known weaknesses?   HH's decision making and mechanics regressed throughout the year.  He threw sidearm and had no mentality to read a D and make a good choice, much less deliver an. accurate ball.

The man in charge of that room followed Rhule to NU and now is responsible for developing our highest rated recruit of all time.

I don't think we need to restart the whole argument that already happened a few pages ago. But 1) what should he have done to "fix" Haarberg or Sims in the pretty short amount of time he had? and 2) he implemented large amounts of option and only had them throwing the ball 35% of the time - those are attempts to play to their strengths and make the weaknesses less exploitable.

I'd also disagree that Haarberg's decision making got worse - he wasn't successful early because he was making great decisions under pressure, it's because there were some timely drops by the defense and they were not prepared for the pass plays we had. They adapted and started holding onto the ball, I don't think he got worse at reading defenses or making the right decision. He just wasn't great at that to begin with. I don't have the expertise to dissect QB mechanics, but again to me it was bad from the start.

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

A lot of good players seem to have no problem signing up to play for Satterfield.   I'd like to see him get his redemption in year 2.

That being said, if Holgorsen is truly interested in the OC job, then obviously you hire him.  That's an easy decision to make.  Football is a meritocracy, afterall.

I just have my doubts he's interested in being Nebraska's OC.

The only way Holgorson is interested in the OC job is if it's for 1 year.  So, you really think that you give up on Satterfield and boot him to the curb....when good players want to come play for him....and we haven't seen anywhere close to what he really wants to run....just so you can have a one year guy and then be looking for the 3rd OC in 3 years a year from now?  

Hard pass on that for me.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, BigRedBuster said:

That's a simple one and one where I'm actually impressed with Satterfield.  He went to a way more run heavy offense trying to use the option.  Yes....we still had to pass some.  No offense today could run 100% of the time.  

But....if Dylan is really as good as advertised and we have decent WRs, expect next year to be way more like what he really wants to run (while still being simplified some due to a true freshman QB).  And, I expect us to pass more.

I do hope I'm wrong.  It's not fun to pay people that aren't working for you anymore.  

We'll see with an upgraded room how well Satterfield can do.  I don't trust it especially when there's teasers that Dana H. is available.