Illinois - What Did We Learn

9 hours ago, Undone said:

Scattered thoughts here obviously...but again, just so criminal to not get the ball to Fidone more. The guy is truly a freak of nature out there. His ceiling is extremely high.

Coaches routinely spend off-season time with pro programs and learn how they do things.  I would love in Rhule spent time with Andy Reid and how they incorporate the TE into their passing attack. 

I think that If i were Rhule, I would be searching every Juco dual threat QB, speedy WRs, and finding some competent lineman on both sides of the ball.  Thats where I would start for next season.  Recruit some building blocks, and find some instant offense in the JUCO ranks.  There are hidden gems in the Juco ranks that could help.  The transfer portal is good, but often most of those players are leaving because either they just plain are not good enough or have major flaws somewhere else.  That game last night showed me more about what really needs fixed on this team than anything else.  Our defense is servicable and will keep us in most games against this seasons competition.  Our offense is just bad enough they will keep other teams in the games for too long.  Figure that out some and I think we get our 6 wins and find a bowl game.  Keep going this way I find 6 wins tough.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I learned people will defend HH with their last dying breath.  I'm not saying Sims is good, but neither is HH.  His decision making is just as bad except he throws a less catchable ball... to either team 

HH should have had three interceptions yesterday if Illinois was competent. 

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, macroboy said:

We beat a B10 team on the road by two scores. A team that we haven’t beat in a while. We even did most of the stupid stuff we always do and won. It’s a good win. Take it.

Yep.

A night game, on the road, on a short week, after being utterly crushed the prior game, missing two starters on defense, missing our top 2 WRs and top 2 RBs from the beginning of the year, losing one of our top 2 remaining receivers on the first drive, starting our backup QB, missed a FG, umpteen stupid penalties and missed opportunities...

I don't feel bad about this win at all. We beat the spread by 16 points, and given the circumstances and recent history, this should have been a loss just like so many we have seen before. I'm happy with the win, and now the team gets two Saturdays off in a row to heal and learn, with the next 3 games being against struggling teams.

ZcWxT2.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

Hey...we won a game...on the road...playing far from our best.

So, let's scrap everything and start over...we are terrible, such a bad team.  We are so undisciplined, have no playmaker, its a good thing illinois is so bad thats the only reason we won, fire that coach, bench this guy, run the option, but dont run it that way, throw the ball but dont look directly at your receiver, play good defense but dont cover so soft, Let's start our 3rd string quarterback from now one...because, you know...football...

Jesus, guys.  

Oh, and how could I forget...we won't win anymore games this year, let alone get to a bowl game, because we just won a game playing far from our best....

That's the alphabet soup on this thread...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

Hey...we won a game...on the road...playing far from our best.

So, let's scrap everything and start over...we are terrible, such a bad team.  We are so undisciplined, have no playmaker, its a good thing illinois is so bad thats the only reason we won, fire that coach, bench this guy, run the option, but dont run it that way, throw the ball but dont look directly at your receiver, play good defense but dont cover so soft, Let's start our 3rd string quarterback from now one...because, you know...football...

Jesus, guys.  

Yeah, the call for Purdy to start by someone was an interesting one. 

• TBH 1
27 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

HH should have had three interceptions yesterday if Illinois was competent. 

Yeah, we know much of his passing sucks, so why are we doing it three plays in a row? Whose fault is that? Are there higher % passes that could've been called instead of flinging a dying duck into the secondary? Did anyone say Haarberg was Rattler? There are plenty of headscratcher calls by Satterfield.

• Plus1 1

I learned that we are very likely going bowling this year if our defense simply shows up the rest of the way like they did last night. Outside of Maryland, there isn’t an offense left on the schedule that scares me. 

we still need to do a much better job controlling what’s in our power. That should’ve been a 35-7 win at a minimum. Way too many inexcusable turnovers and penalties, particularly during scoring opportunities. It’s great to see us overcome this and win- a competent team will take advantage and beat us if we continue to play sloppy

• TBH 3

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, the call for Purdy to start by someone was an interesting one. 

We have two scholarship QB's who will flat out give the game away with turnovers and one who isn't the most talented but makes good decisions most of the time. Those other two have to prove they can do that.