The Israel-Hamas War

10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Being born early enough to grow up watching the History Channel when it was actually about history has imparted me with so much useless knowledge, but nowhere near the nerds I've seen on Reddit discussing full battles in minute detail.

fwiw....history channel tonight has been about the pacific campaign in WW2....not bigfoot or aliens like most nights.  lol

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I believe you are right about all of that.

I think that Japan is one of the few countries that doesn't count grounded planes as a "kill" and/or any soft targets.  

You know your military history!

Plus, face it, when everyone first started using planes it was the wild wild west up there!  

Where is Snoopy when we need him??

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
10 hours ago, ZRod said:

Being born early enough to grow up watching the History Channel when it was actually about history has imparted me with so much useless knowledge, but nowhere near the nerds I've seen on Reddit discussing full battles in minute detail.

I had a history of modern warfare professor in college.  Dude never opened a book or had a note written down or anything...he would talk about battles like he fought in them.  It was unreal. 

• Plus1 1

10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Isn't most of the free world providing humanitarian aid to Palestinians while also supporting "Israel's right to defend itself," both politically and economically?

Didn't America fund both sides of the Iran/Iraq war? Don't we have a history of funding both sides of wars dating back decades?

I mean sure, 'gubmint bad' gets clicks, but this isn't anything new.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Correct me if I'm wrong.  I very well could be because so much is going on here and changing. But, I beleive we only provide Israel with defensive weapons. 

I have no problem providing humanitarian support for palestinians.  They need it, we should be doing it.  And...you always hope that in some way it creates good will with their population so we can, at some point, help prevent things like this from happening again.

My only gripe with providing humanitarian aide to a terrorist state is that those leading (Hamas) are going to rob these resources blind. Priority will go to fighters & military age men/teens rather than women/children. Of course..innocents should be helped. But I can’t shake the feeling they won’t be getting much. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Isn't most of the free world providing humanitarian aid to Palestinians while also supporting "Israel's right to defend itself," both politically and economically?

Didn't America fund both sides of the Iran/Iraq war? Don't we have a history of funding both sides of wars dating back decades?

I mean sure, 'gubmint bad' gets clicks, but this isn't anything new.

Agreed

35 minutes ago, Decked said:

My only gripe with providing humanitarian aide to a terrorist state is that those leading (Hamas) are going to rob these resources blind. Priority will go to fighters & military age men/teens rather than women/children. Of course..innocents should be helped. But I can’t shake the feeling they won’t be getting much. 

I agree. Everyone thinks women & children and innocent men should have food & water. It's a problem that the entire government structure, such as it is, is a terrorist organization. How do you provide aid to those people without benefiting the terrorists in some way? It's a terrible situation.

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I agree. Everyone thinks women & children and innocent men should have food & water. It's a problem that the entire government structure, such as it is, is a terrorist organization. How do you provide aid to those people without benefiting the terrorists in some way? It's a terrible situation.

Either way you look at this there are so many innocent people suffering on both sides forced to take a bite of a s#!t sandwich. Done nothing but be born in the wrong country/state. 

and you can’t. And the more you fund Hamas even with aide (directly or more so indirectly in this case) the more it will keep them holding out. 

25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Seems like a situation tailor made for UN peace keepers, but that usually never ends well.

21 hours ago, Decked said:

You nailed it here.  

• Plus1 1