2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Dude can sling it for sure.  I'm guessing we'd go away from any type of QB run game with him.  But so long as we start winning I could care less tbh....Just win baby.

I don't know if they ever truly wanted a QB run game. Simply playing the cards that were dealt with the offensive personnel on the team.

• TBH 1

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't know if they ever truly wanted a QB run game. Simply playing the cards that were dealt with the offensive personnel on the team.

Odd they went after Sims as their must "get" last year and now McCord (or other more traditional QB's). Two opposite styles for sure.  I don't think Satt was really ever a QB run game guy.  Im guessing Rhule is smart enough to look at potential QB's and what they can do with what we have and who else is coming in.  I just can't believe that we are now on year 7 with no bowl game....

26 minutes ago, lo country said:

Odd they went after Sims as their must "get" last year and now McCord (or other more traditional QB's). Two opposite styles for sure.  I don't think Satt was really ever a QB run game guy.  Im guessing Rhule is smart enough to look at potential QB's and what they can do with what we have and who else is coming in.  I just can't believe that we are now on year 7 with no bowl game....

I think they truly believed Sims could bridge the gap, run when you have to but be able to make every throw they wanted.  He is definitely capable of making every throw a QB needs to, but that isn't enough to play QB. That's why guys who can't make all the throws still can be good QBs, at least in college. It just didn't work out with Sims. I'm not convinced McCord is the answer, but he is much closer to what they want than what's on the roster. He will just need help, and the supporting cast is a step down from Ohio State. Hopefully everyone else can level up and maybe a Julian Fleming comes with him to be the default #1 WR as that's what he wants it appears. We have good supporting WR, could work out ok.

• TBH 1
13 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think they truly believed Sims could bridge the gap, run when you have to but be able to make every throw they wanted.  He is definitely capable of making every throw a QB needs to, but that isn't enough to play QB. That's why guys who can't make all the throws still can be good QBs, at least in college. It just didn't work out with Sims. I'm not convinced McCord is the answer, but he is much closer to what they want than what's on the roster. He will just need help, and the supporting cast is a step down from Ohio State. Hopefully everyone else can level up and maybe a Julian Fleming comes with him to be the default #1 WR as that's what he wants it appears. We have good supporting WR, could work out ok.

Is their a qb you prefer other then McCord that you think could be the answer?? Ward or Howard???

16 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Is their a qb you prefer other then McCord that you think could be the answer?? Ward or Howard???

I am simply saying QB isn't the only issue. I am not in the camp that thinks a QB instantly gets us from 5 wins to 10.

Ward seems to like to go off script and make hero plays whoch is great sometimes, but he turns it over some also. He seems like a great fit for OSU as they need that to put them over the top, as they have everything else already. Howard seems like a solid fit for us, and I am not seeing the fit at USC for him. McCord could fit, but he will need others to take the next step, we need another WR, and his numbers still probably won't match his last year at Ohio State.  I am not sure we sign any of the top ranked guys though if they are 1 and done, we aren't set up to be an NFL springboard at QB yet, it all depeneds on what an individual wants. If NIL, fan support, and just helping a program take the next step is enough we could. If plyaing in the playoff/being a top 15 team and going to the NFL via a ready made situation are goals then we can't win that.

Honestly I'd be happy with Howard or McCord, but I am not expecting either to be a savior. We need consistent development to be competitive, and people saying we can get to 9-10 wins with a QB are downplaying just how easy the schedule was this year.  Things also never stay exactly the same year over year, so saying we just have to add one piece and keep the rest the same isn't going to happen. Some things improve, some get worse every year.

50 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

But will we have legit targets for him next yr..??  

1. Develop the young wr's. There's a lot of talent there.

2. Get Fleming

3. The Indiana WR looks intriguing

4. Another portal wr? Especially if we add a solid Transfer QB then it is more likely to grab a solid Transfer WR.

5 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

How about McCord and he brings Fleming? And McCord could draw another good receiver. Also will we have Washington back?  Further we need a pound the rock guy. If we can score 25+ points we should win a lot of games.  

Washington wants to come back but Rhule seemed skeptical on the waiver - he did somehow play in 6 games this year. IGC technically has eligibility, but coming off an ACL and I still have no idea how good he is. I've seen some things regarding Fleming going with McCord, but I've only seen it from fans and I don't buy it yet. Probably more to do with other WRs stepping up than the QB, but Fleming went from 34/533/6 with Stroud to 26/270/0 this year with McCord. Not like they had this insane connection that they'd want to keep intact.  

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Fleming and think we'll try to bring in a reliable transfer WR. But having some experience and getting to go through spring ball I also expect our WRs to take a big step forward - we'll be better than last year at WR even without adding a bunch of new guys.

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

But will we have legit targets for him next yr..??  

Flemming is rumored to be possibly coming with him.  He was 5* out of HS.  Also, I still really like our freshmen WRs this year.  They all got some valuable experience and now know what they need to work on in the off season.  We also had WRs running open this year, but no QB that could see them and get them the ball.

• TBH 1