2023 - 2024 Portal - Ins and Outs

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

presumably the other two they threw him out there to kneel it out or hand it off and there's a precedent for the NCAA granting an additional year in those cases.

I am genuinely curious about this.  Do you have any examples?

25 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I am genuinely curious about this.  Do you have any examples?

Could've sworn there were a few, but not finding them so maybe I'm crazy. And actually looking at Alabama's statistics they show him as playing in 9 games in 2019 which would be a tough sell for the NCAA even if it was all hand offs and kneel downs.  EDIT: the 9 games was actually Tua, they don't even list Taulia. Which given he has stats in multiple games is clearly not accurate.

All that said, it was reported several weeks ago that he was probably going to enter the portal to have all options available but was considering the NFL draft, returning to Maryland, and any portal offers. So I'm not sure where the surprise is coming from that he actually did it. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wouldn't he at least get a look in the NFL?  Why wouldn't he just go do that?

He's looking at all options, but based on the tweet in Mavric's post that may end up being his only option. He could probably make more staying in college if the NCAA let him, he's not what the NFL is looking for. 

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wouldn't he at least get a look in the NFL?  Why wouldn't he just go do that?

He probably can make more money playing another year in college (especially if he goes to Miami where he can market stuff with Tua) than hoping to make a NFL practice squad.

He is listed as 5'11" by Maryland.  Which means he is probably closer to 5'9" or 5'10".  That's not going to fly in the NFL.

4 hours ago, Red Five said:

The hot rumor around Iowa was that Chip Kelly was going to leave UCLA to become Kirk's OC and Thompson was going to be their new QB.

Ell Oh Freaking Ell

You misspelled Scott Frost. ;)

Seriously though, Iowa is going to hire a Joe Philbin or Paul Chryst type probably.  The most boring, and most Iowa, hire. Kirk was quoted saying something like "the new OC must respect the Iowa offense" or "Iowa style" or some other nonsense recently. 

I personally want to watch the meltdown if they hired Frost, but it honestly would be a better hire than the names above who will bring zero change.

• Oh Yeah! 2

3 hours ago, runningblind said:

You misspelled Scott Frost. ;)

Seriously though, Iowa is going to hire a Joe Philbin or Paul Chryst type probably.  The most boring, and most Iowa, hire. Kirk was quoted saying something like "the new OC must respect the Iowa offense" or "Iowa style" or some other nonsense recently. 

I personally want to watch the meltdown if they hired Frost, but it honestly would be a better hire than the names above who will bring zero change.

Not enough alcohol in Iowa for Scott.