I wish NU would install a few offensive wrinkles

KCBuc

As I watch the offense and scratch my head, I would like Satterfield to try:

1. Pump fake by the QB. Good chance a CB bites. 
2. Roll out with a run-throw option

3. Use the FB. I so want to believe they have it ready and are just waiting for the right time.

4. A package with Sims that does not allow him to pass.  Perhaps, single wing? :devil
5. Direct snap to the HB from shotgun. 

Here’s hoping for a W. On a side note, I was not a fan of the 3-3-5, but my opinion has changed. I know NW sucks but loved the pressure! 

15 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

3. Use the FB. I so want to believe they have it ready and are just waiting for the right time.

4. A package with Sims that does not allow him to pass.  Perhaps, single wing? :devil

Here’s hoping for a W. On a side note, I was not a fan of the 3-3-5, but my opinion has changed. I know NW sucks but loved the pressure! 

I think we could have got pressure with 1-4-6 defensive scheme lol.

• TBH 2
18 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

PREACH on this.

Maybe they've run a few of these this season and I just haven't been paying attention, but I've been wishing they'd do more of them. I feel like it's a better way to get HH in a rhythm vs. relying on him to drop back, go through his progressions and fire an accurate pass.

32 minutes ago, Enhance said:

PREACH on this.

Maybe they've run a few of these this season and I just haven't been paying attention, but I've been wishing they'd do more of them. I feel like it's a better way to get HH in a rhythm vs. relying on him to drop back, go through his progressions and fire an accurate pass.

They ran a rollout against Northwestern and Haarberg shorted a wide open throw for 15+ yards. See the 1:25 mark below.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
1 hour ago, KCBuc said:

I would also like to see some play action with as much as we run it’s pretty set up and could be effective 

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, KCBuc said:

3.  It is beginning to look a lot like Solich's version of the option.  

5.  There's no point in wildcat when you're QB's run the power read effectively.  

I'm with ndobney, the run & pass game need to be tied together better.  It's looking a lot like Frost is calling the plays.  I can't think of many things more useless & uninspiring than a drop back hitch on first down for a team that is being played to run the ball.  

14 minutes ago, floridacorn said:

I can't think of many things more useless & uninspiring than a drop back hitch on first down for a team that is being played to run the ball.  

Yep.

I'd probably take some kind of double reverse trick play over seeing this much more on 1st down.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, KCBuc said:

I'm normally one for assuming the HC and OC know football better than we do, and want to win at least as bad.

But these are five perfectly good suggestions that would not be hard to implement. 

Sometimes it's riskier to to the same thing over and over. 

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s kinda hard to install new wrinkles to the offense when 8 of the 11 offensive starters in game 1 aren’t even available this week, and numerous backups are also out. Let’s just be satisfied with whatever the coaches  are doing and try to survive this season with defense winning games. 

Great point. It’s not like we were stacked with playmakers in the first place.

• Plus1 1

You can’t play in a game at the D1 level what you don’t practice. If even a little bit. 

HH caught passes in practice and was some kind of flex player.  A 3rd string QB in spring and fall. Now he’s the starter and it shows his weaknesses. But at least he was sometimes practicing QB and taking snaps. 
You  think cuz “Sims is an athlete” he can run routes, take handoffs, plow ahead, block, be a decoy, catch a pass in traffic, find a seam, return a kick, keep his feet in bounds on a deep out?  

sometimes I wonder at the…no offense to anyone, the ignorance of the avg football fan.  Get a grip.
Sims is our backup QB at this point. He has ZERO practice at any other position probly since his 8-9th grade year in high school. 

He isn’t gonna convert at this point in his career. I hope he stays ready and in shape for when HH sucks or gets hurt that Sims can come in help us try and win. 

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, KCBuc said:

As does as it sounds, with our current QB situation a "pump fake" might be too difficult.  I have often wondered why HH doesn't "look off a DB/safety" as well.  And then realize it's probably not in his skill set and our OL has been pretty rough.

Watching Penix break down film last week on Game Day.  He talked about snapping the ball and then watching to see what the 1 high safety did , then looked to the CB on his right on the RPO.  He said the CB reacted correctly in pack pedaling for the pass, but when the RB went with him on the RPO he saw the CB plant his back leg to drive on the RB.  Penix said he knew his WR on the opposite side would be open if he hit his "landmark" in the spot the CB should have been.  Sure enough, Penix fired to a spot and got the completion.  I'd love a QB that could do that.  We don't have him now on the roster.  We run and incredibly basic and pedestrian passing game.Would love to roll out all day long.  At least force the D to come up thinking it's a run and drop it over the top.  

Thought we would use the FB more. With teams stacking the box, the ability to have a lead blocker or use traps and counters might open some holes as the defenses moving forward will sell out on the run and bite every time.

Even using Sims as a decoy would help. Set him wide and bring him in motion fake a toss sweep or just make the D account for him on the fly.