****Maryland Game Day Thread****

Just now, Undone said:

These games wind up really skewing your perception of the team.

Our defense is doing just fine. "Good," probably. We have an overall good team and good coaching but we don't have a QB at all. This has to be the worst QB play in basically the modern era for our team.

It is hard to say they are a good team when the offense is historically bad.  We don't have QBs that can throw accurately consistently and make good decisions.   Our WRs and TEs have bricks for hands and can't run block.  Our o-line isn't very good.  The playcalling is suspect. 

7 minutes ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

It is hard to say they are a good team when the offense is historically bad.  We don't have QBs that can throw accurately consistently and make good decisions. 

Adrian Martinez would have this team at least at 6-3 right now, pretty much no doubt in my mind. Our stats this year are a shell of Frost's offensive production so I think your first statement is a bit loaded, right?

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

The pick was bad but Sims is running the offense better. The only chance we have to win going forward this year is starting him. He got some nice throws into tight coverage that last drive. At least teams have to think about him passing. And we don’t lose anything in the run game with him. I think with first team reps he will give us our best chance 

We also need to research "the cloak of invisibility" other teams use on our QB's so their DB's become invisible on deep balls.  Maybe Harbaugh has an idea from the sign stealing how he does.  Maybe off season sit down?

Rhule pretty much hinted at halftime Sims would be the guy starting the 2nd half.

Whatever running game / read-option offense Nebraska was cooking up at the beginning of the year, we need to see it show up in the 2nd half.

OFFENSE

• Run the ball.
  • Embrace the challenge of only running it. (This game is won or lost through the O-line, Emmett Johnson, and Sims running ability)
  • Keep Maryland's offense off the field.
  • If we do pass, the flats and seams were open.

DEFENSE

• Keep doing what you're doing. Maryland had 0 rushing yards, and 186 yards all through the air.
  • The stunts on the line are working.
  • Be willing to send 5 on third and long, and trust your coverage.

5 minutes ago, olddominionhusker said:

The pick was bad but Sims is running the offense better. The only chance we have to win going forward this year is starting him. He got some nice throws into tight coverage that last drive. At least teams have to think about him passing. And we don’t lose anything in the run game with him. I think with first team reps he will give us our best chance 

I didn't see anything different from his starts. 0 points and a turnover. He's shown no ability to finish drives. This is not a call for Haarberg to return, though. I'd rather see Purdy if Sims either makes more mind-numbingly stupid mistakes or gets his ankle dinged again.

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

Rhule pretty much hinted at halftime Sims would be the guy starting the 2nd half.

Whatever running game / read-option offense Nebraska was cooking up at the beginning of the year, we need to see it show up in the 2nd half.

OFFENSE

• Run the ball.
  • Embrace the challenge of only running it. (This game is won or lost through the O-line, Emmett Johnson, and Sims running ability)
  • Keep Maryland's offense off the field.
  • If we do pass, the flats and seams were open.

DEFENSE

• Keep doing what you're doing. Maryland had 0 rushing yards, and 186 yards all through the air.
  • The stunts on the line are working.
  • Be willing to send 5 on third and long, and trust your coverage.

Maryland has zero rushing yards and winning.  We can have zero passing yards and win.  Would love to see 2 back sets and actually run plays using both.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Although I didn’t like the risk Sims took, especially throwing while on his heels… was the INT catchable if Coleman didn’t slow up on the route and stretch his arms out? Seemed to me like he was surprised the ball was in the area. Doesn’t take blame away from Sims for risking it, but our receivers need to help our QBs out. Ugh

This is correct. The Sims pick happens to all QBs at some point. The HH picks were flat out thrown to opposing players no where near a receiver. Coleman could’ve prevented that pick. Totally different then the Haarberg throws

• Fire 1