Iowa Game What did we learn?

TGHusker

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Its all about hiring the right head coach and staff.  Tired of making excuses for every staff that gets hired here.  We all see Kansas, Kansas St, Mizzou, Northwestern with an interim, Iowa St, and Wyoming.  All of these teams are better than us and have better coaching staffs and head coaches. Recruiting is very important, but KU, KSU and Iowa St have mediocre recruiting numbers and manage to win games and make bowl games.  They develop what they recruit.  To than I will give Rhule more time, but if we are still sitting here two years from now with this same product, then its all coaching.  Will say this again.  We played 4 or 5 of the worst offenses in Power 5 football this season and lost those games.  Our defense is fine, but against teams who were rated in the Top 60 in offense all beat us.  Even teams rated last beat us.  This was not a shut down defense, rather a bend but don't break defense that bent more and broke more as the season closed.  Again, will give the defense a good rating, but not great.  We can say culture and curses, but its all up to the current staff to rectify those areas.  Its up to the staff to develop a QB and also pick the right transfer.  Its all up to the staff to evaluate talent and bring in the right pieces to improve this roster.  They clearly didn't like Casey, and chose Simms.  This one decision cost this roster and team at least 3 wins.  Yes, that decision to me was the biggest with hindsight.  If your watching game film and you think that Simms is the answer over Casey, there was hidden motives behind that because on the field it is not even a question.  We kept most of the roster from last season, but we didn't keep a QB who was the brightest spot on last years team..................Figure that one out.  

Agree with your post.  Other teams do significantly more, with significantly less.  And here we are.  The longest P5 bowl less streak, most 1 score losses since 1900 and lead the country in TO's,  Again.....And our D is good, not great when looking at the calibre of offenses we played. Unsure if we beat a team above 5 wins....

I like Rhule. I think he was a good hire, but I did not like the Satt hire and still don't.  Questionable play calls and he was the QB coach.  The weakest position on the team. And some on the board were saying that Satt was picked as the WR coach, but Peetz chose to stay at the Rams so we got Satt by default.  McGuire as the WR coach.  Really?  1st position coach gig at NU, in the B1G, and with all your contacts this is your guy?  TE coach got the DUI and then an analysts or some other spot is the TE coach.  Not lost on me that these two under performed all season.  Yes QB had some issues, but they dropped a lot of balls, didn't really block hard and ran some poor routes.  I'm tired of the  "but they're Fresh excuses"....Other teamshave young guys and they do well.  Our OL seemed not to improve much.  At least against teams that banged back.  Didn't help we have no QB with pocket presence, but have they improved? In year 2 with the same position coach.  Rhule and presumably Satt, picked Sims....

Rhule needs to do some analyzing in the off season as it relates to staff, scheme and talent.  IF he wants to throw body blows in the 4th, and rush for 75 yards, that OC isn't on staff.  And they might want to get a second opinion on QB picks...

Yes I am sick and tired of the losing.  The missing bowls. The moral victories etc.......

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

We had a QB on this roster when Rhule arrived.  I question our offensive staff on what they were evaluating when watching game film from last years team.  Simms has been Simms since his first days at Ga Tech.  His good plays did outweigh his bad plays, but he was mistake prone there as well.  

Enough on that.  As I stated.  Almost every program in the last 10 years has made coaching hires that have worked out.  We are the last program on that list to have failed this bad with 3 different staffs.  I will give some slack on Rhule and his staff but not much.  He did inherit a mess, but not that big of a mess.  We all watched Bill Snyder take the worst program in history and turn things around.  Leipold at KU took a very bad program and in year two went to a bowl game.  KU beat Texas in year one under Leipold as well.  When and who was the last coach to beat a Top 25 team here?  Just tired of making excuse for why ALL of our coaching hires have failed.  Its simple.  They all failed and were not cut out for this climate and fanbase.  Pressure cooker that is Husker football is not for the weak hearted.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, lo country said:

Rhule needs to do some analyzing in the off season as it relates to staff, scheme and talent.  IF he wants to throw body blows in the 4th, and rush for 75 yards, that OC isn't on staff.  And they might want to get a second opinion on QB picks...

When I look at the various things we can do, I wouldn’t mind starting over on offense entirely. We need superior coaches for OC, OL, QB, WR, TE…it just goes on an on. But who is that hire and what others can he bring with him? Do you look at Peetz again? 

3 minutes ago, ranch boy said:

i learned that coaching at neb is the greatest flim flam known to man. you can become a multi millionaire failing in the worst division in the p5; and fans will defend you for doing worse than nw interim coach! but at least we helped out south carolina and the panthers in the process. 

You can omit the capital letters and you're still recognizable lol...

• Plus1 2

Just now, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

That was quite a jump from what I asked. So you have no one? 

Yeah it is crazy northwestern made one and we beat them. 

i don't get paid 9 mil to find players. ask rhule why he didn't get someone better or why they didn't keep thompson or even do a better job preparing chubba and start him earlier. 

32 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

When I look at the various things we can do, I wouldn’t mind starting over on offense entirely. We need superior coaches for OC, OL, QB, WR, TE…it just goes on an on. But who is that hire and what others can he bring with him? Do you look at Peetz again? 

I'm with you on starting over.  It is not as though we were successful with whatever we were trying.  Or that guys are completely invested (multiple years) in this scheme, language, techniques etc....We had issues with the basics imo. Blocking, passing, catching, route running etc....Not some super fancy techniques that they were being taught.

Unsure if Peetz would leave.  He is now the passing game coordinator.  Stafford has been injured and Kupp is questionable again.  Maybe he looks and sees that LA might take a step back and takes the offer again.  Solid resume.  

I am an apologist for Korn at Liberty so I am biased.  I like Chadwell's scheme.  BUT his is also predicated on a true dual threat QB who can run AND pass.  Without that "guy" it'll have issues.  And right now NU doesn't have that guy.  Look at Paul Chryst (analyst at Texas). Do you look at a guy like Tyler Roehl at NDSU or Mike Shanahan at JMU....I am unsure if we are going to get a P5 OC to come here if Satt is let go.  Save some money and put that into White, maybe new assistants etc...I am a huge homer fan, but my red colored glasses have come off.  I do not think that we are destination for many established OC's (with potential HC aspirations) so FCS or G5 might be the route we have to go.  If that is what Rhule decides.  In reality, watching a lot of college football, coaching is a lot of it, but we don't pass the eye ball test compared to a lot of what I am watching on tv...We are lacking Jimmy and Joes as well.  BUT better coaching will result in at least better development.  Another thought on Rhule, he came from Temple (AAC) and Baylor (Big 12) and neither conference was known for its physicality, but more for its "basketball on grass" style of play.  Track star speed is great in those two conferences, but the B1G is a brutal, physical league.  A burner is great at receiver to take the top off the D, but we need a QB who is a threat to get to him.  Maybe what has worked personnel wise it those previous stops won't work at NU or in the B1G.  Season 1, hoping he questions some of his previous thoughts.  Can't get bogged down with the "it's worked everywhere else, so it'll work here mentality".....

On to the off season and wait for the portal to open and recruit signings....

3 hours ago, ranch boy said:

if only rhule had the chance to get a guy out of the portal, oh wait. 

I would love an example, if anybody can think of one, of a portal QB that transferred to a failing, losing program who hadn’t been bowl eligible and turned in a successful season. 

I think there is a lot of knowledge out there of portal players being pretty hit or miss, QB’s especially so. QB’s not transferring to top tie  programs even more so. 

Point is, it’s likely Rhule wasn’t picking from the cream of the crop. 

If this is the bud bowl we are Iowa lite

4 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

I would love an example, if anybody can think of one, of a portal QB that transferred to a failing, losing program who hadn’t been bowl eligible and turned in a successful season. 

I think there is a lot of knowledge out there of portal players being pretty hit or miss, QB’s especially so. QB’s not transferring to top tie  programs even more so. 

Point is, it’s likely Rhule wasn’t picking from the cream of the crop. 

He picked a tard