Bright Spots From The Season

Quite a few things with a silver lining.   For me I'll choose the HH story.   Several unlikely events put him in charge of the offense for a good chunk of the season.  He was good enough to give us some wins and some hope through a really rough stretch.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

The fact that we could plug in so many young guys as well as backups on offense and the team didn't implode, but competed and had chance to win every game outside of one is a really good sign for the future.

lol, what?  The team didn’t implode?

man- we were sitting at 5-3 and here’s how we showed up:

- come out flat and lifeless with no urgency against one of the worst teams in the big10 in MSU with a disaster of a coaching situation and lose

- 5 turnovers from our QBs against a Maryland squad that was literally imploding after a 5-0 start and we lose, at home, largely due to zero offense and a late turnover 

- we go up 14-0 against wiscy. We want to be a smash mouth team who wins with defense and clock control. We couldn’t run for s#!t- basically get shut out the remaining 51 mins of the game and lose to the weakest wiscy team in 20 years- a team who has an identity crisis, up until playing us

-we lose to Iowa. Which in and of itself is fine. But for it to happen when we finally get a critical INT with 30 seconds left… and we somehow still find a way in those 30 seconds to not only give the ball right back but to then get gashed on a simple run up the middle and lose on a FG

I honestly can’t think of a better word than implosion.  

• Plus1 8
  • Haha 1

To answer the question-

1. d Line, sounds like everyone is back next year. Could be a force if cam and Princewill progress 

2. our secondary should be solid again

3. we have some young guys at wideout and EJ that got great experience. Hopefully it springboards next year with added talent

4. the season is over and hopefully I’ll never have to witness another husker squad this inept at the qb position in my life. Most critical position on the field and it was an abject failure 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Tommy Hill going from a player used as a gadget on offense and an afterthought overall to locking down a side of the field and getting 4 ints on the year. 

DL going from a perceived deficiency to the best group on the team. 

Bryce Benharts improvement and just being healthy so we didn’t have to worry about another back up on the oline. 

Hill even made what should have been a bowl game securing pick. That would have been the play of the year. 

• Fire 1
6 hours ago, ZRod said:

The fact that we could plug in so many young guys as well as backups on offense and the team didn't implode, but competed and had chance to win every game outside of one is a really good sign for the future.

Haven't we heard this story the last few years only to come out and go 5-7 again and lose multiple games by 1 score?  We have some young guys who might be special, but will the coaching keep them motivated or we s#!t the bed because so far we can count on them to find ways to lose, will our coaches figure out how to get them to find ways to win?  I hope so, but a few coaches so far have shown they are in over their heads IMHO and they reside on the O side of the ball.

• Plus1 1

Young talented WRs that just flat out needed easier plays to get them the ball are going to be good next year 

EJ looks dependable 

Defense has played a lot of young players. Getting back a lot of old. Keep Tony White

Alvano is vastly improving 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

lol, what?  The team didn’t implode?

man- we were sitting at 5-3 and here’s how we showed up:

- come out flat and lifeless with no urgency against one of the worst teams in the big10 in MSU with a disaster of a coaching situation and lose

- 5 turnovers from our QBs against a Maryland squad that was literally imploding after a 5-0 start and we lose, at home, largely due to zero offense and a late turnover 

- we go up 14-0 against wiscy. We want to be a smash mouth team who wins with defense and clock control. We couldn’t run for s#!t- basically get shut out the remaining 51 mins of the game and lose to the weakest wiscy team in 20 years- a team who has an identity crisis, up until playing us

-we lose to Iowa. Which in and of itself is fine. But for it to happen when we finally get a critical INT with 30 seconds left… and we somehow still find a way in those 30 seconds to not only give the ball right back but to then get gashed on a simple run up the middle and lose on a FG

I honestly can’t think of a better word than implosion.  

Wow, somehow my post above warranted a point from the mods of this board. Lol, what kind of place is this now

zero personal attack, simply stating facts. And I get issued a warning point 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Wow, somehow my post above warranted a point from the mods of this board. Lol, what kind of place is this now

zero personal attack, simply stating facts. And I get issued a warning point 

Is it possible that there was an error or something unintentional occurred? Contacting one of the moderators in a message to inquire about it is what I'd suggest. I'm sure that they'd provide an explanation if a warning was indeed intended.

1 minute ago, M.A. said:

Is it possible that there was an error or something unintentional occurred? Contacting one of the moderators in a message to inquire about it is what I'd suggest. I'm sure that they'd provide an explanation if a warning was indeed intended.

They said I got point for being too negative… lol, I even had an additional post giving my thoughts on positives :dunno

4 hours ago, Decked said:

Young talented WRs that just flat out needed easier plays to get them the ball are going to be good next year 

EJ looks dependable 

Defense has played a lot of young players. Getting back a lot of old. Keep Tony White

Alvano is vastly improving 

What makes you think Alvano is/was improving?  He was 9/15 (60%!) on field goals for the year, 2/7 (29%) on field goals between 40-49 yds, and missed makeable field goals in both the Wisconsin and Iowa games at the end of the season that might have lead to wins.

4 minutes ago, Pasadena Husker said:

What makes you think Alvano is/was improving?  He was 9/15 (60%!) on field goals for the year, 2/7 (29%) on field goals between 40-49 yds, and missed makeable field goals in both the Wisconsin and Iowa games at the end of the season that might have lead to wins.

Let’s compare where he started to the end of the year. I’m not counting his iowa kick against him with those conditions. He has definitely gotten better from the start of the year to the end. 

Nebraska was 12 points away from winning 9 games (I know it was an easy schedule) with a dumpster fire of an offensive roster situation.

Third string QB starting most of the year: and winning…

Third string RB was asked to become the focus in run game.

WR that were expected to redshirt became starters

The OL was a revolving door of injuries 

The fact that people are pissed about losing to a 10-2 Iowa team kinda proves they thought Rhule had the shell of a team capable of winning the game.  

The staff over achieved this year in my opinion.  I like em!

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1