Rhule Post Season Presser

Red Five

On 12/3/2023 at 7:32 PM, krc1995 said:

I’m thinking the only fault in the Sims thing is the lack of a QB specific coach. Easily the most important skill specific position. But yet we have a TE coach. I feel for Sims to come in to a highly scrutinized position at a high profile school without a Shepard to guide him. So I guess that’s Rhule fault. But that’s ok-just a misstep in a rebuild season.  

So you need a QB coach to tell him to not fumble? Hold onto the ball? That is basic football 101. 

• TBH 1

11 hours ago, mwj98 said:

So you need a QB coach to tell him to not fumble? Hold onto the ball? That is basic football 101. 

agreed that those issues are 101...  BUT, there are a lot of mental things taking place before that snap and if you don't have all of that unpacked it will affect the 101 stuff.

I'm not a good golfer but I know how to hit the ball..  If I'm thinking about my grip, my foot placement and my back swing before hand, I'm usually lying 2 behind a pine tree 40yrds out.

I'm not saying Simms is our guy (he probably isn't) but a QB coach would probably help read the defense a bit better and make the 101 things easier...  just a thought.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
46 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

agreed that those issues are 101...  BUT, there are a lot of mental things taking place before that snap and if you don't have all of that unpacked it will affect the 101 stuff.

I'm not a good golfer but I know how to hit the ball..  If I'm thinking about my grip, my foot placement and my back swing before hand, I'm usually lying 2 behind a pine tree 40yrds out.

I'm not saying Simms is our guy (he probably isn't) but a QB coach would probably help read the defense a bit better and make the 101 things easier...  just a thought.

You said it great.   QB is such a mental position.  There are so so many players that have the talent to be a good/great QB, but can’t grasp the speed of the mental decision making that it affects their entire play.  Throwing passes into double coverage they normally wouldn’t throw if the game were slowed down.  Focusing on the DL rush vs seeing past it into the secondary to read the safety etc…

Good dedicated QB coaches can help facilitate the mental game so the kids can let their talent take over.  They aren’t going into each play wondering what to do, they know what to do.

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, runningblind said:

So legitimately 2021 was year 1 for him.  Covid was a lost year, and his year 2 was 10-3 and year 3 was 13-0.  Still a case of good coaches are on the up by year 2, and sure as hell don't take until year 4 or 5 to show progress!

While I understand the COVID season was odd, I don’t think you can just erase it completely. Norvell started building his culture, team processes and structure, installed his systems, hired out his coaching staff, conducted talent assessment and recruiting that had continuity into 2021, conducted team practices, etc. All of that matters, plus he also coached games that mattered regardless of how odd that season was. Those games allowed him to continue to develop his players, see what was working and what wasn’t, as well as identify what roster/coaching holes he needed to fill. IMO getting to 10 wins in 2022 doesn't happen if he is hired in 2021. 

That being said, Norvell did show progress from 2020 to 2021 getting to 5 wins and increasing their conference win total to 4 from 2. It is completely fair to expect and improvement in record in year 2 under Rhule, but I expect year 3 and beyond to be when hopefully the Huskers are competing for playoff spots and double digit wins year-in and year-out.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
On 11/30/2023 at 10:02 AM, teachercd said:

They are not "supposed to" but face it, in the past they were "not supposed to" pay players under the table but we know it was done.

It basically works like this...you have a dude at the NIL collective who is "friends" with the staff, the staff says "We have this guy and he wants to be a Husker, so make sure it happens" and then the NIL guys try to make it happen.

That is assuming there is a good relationship between your NIL dude and the staff.

You don't have to put friends in quotes. There is a very good back and forth relationship with the decision makers in the NIL group and the coaching staff, most of the decision makers are also substantial donors to the program already, because of that donation the NIL already had relationships with the coaching staff and administrators at the school. The staff/administrators worked with the donors they like the best to create the biggest NIL for their school/program. They will let the NIL know who they want and have an order of preference. The NIL will reach out and do the leg work, and it's all at the behest of the staff. Coaching staff, the Compliance Department and a handful of others know exactly what each athlete is earning from the NIL. No one employed by the school can dictate how much the NIL is paying the athlete, but they do know and have influence on the amount.

20 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

While I understand the COVID season was odd, I don’t think you can just erase it completely. Norvell started building his culture, team processes and structure, installed his systems, hired out his coaching staff, conducted talent assessment and recruiting that had continuity into 2021, conducted team practices, etc. All of that matters, plus he also coached games that mattered regardless of how odd that season was. Those games allowed him to continue to develop his players, see what was working and what wasn’t, as well as identify what roster/coaching holes he needed to fill. IMO getting to 10 wins in 2022 doesn't happen if he is hired in 2021. 

That being said, Norvell did show progress from 2020 to 2021 getting to 5 wins and increasing their conference win total to 4 from 2. It is completely fair to expect and improvement in record in year 2 under Rhule, but I expect year 3 and beyond to be when hopefully the Huskers are competing for playoff spots and double digit wins year-in and year-out.

Fair, but it was far from a complete year.  Call 2021 year 1.5 and 2022 2.5, but we agree that he showed progress every year.  I was just pushing back against the perception that it took him until year 3 to show his chops, and that isn't true. 

9 minutes ago, Madcows said:

You don't have to put friends in quotes. There is a very good back and forth relationship with the decision makers in the NIL group and the coaching staff, most of the decision makers are also substantial donors to the program already, because of that donation the NIL already had relationships with the coaching staff and administrators at the school. The staff/administrators worked with the donors they like the best to create the biggest NIL for their school/program. They will let the NIL know who they want and have an order of preference. The NIL will reach out and do the leg work, and it's all at the behest of the staff. Coaching staff, the Compliance Department and a handful of others know exactly what each athlete is earning from the NIL. No one employed by the school can dictate how much the NIL is paying the athlete, but they do know and have influence on the amount.

I sort of just get carried away with the quotes. 

• Oh Yeah! 1

15 hours ago, Slow yer Roll said:

You serious Clark?

That seems extremely optimistic. 

I feel like a winning record , and a real offensive line is about where I'm hoping for year 3

I would say in year 3 that the Huskers should be competing to win 9+ games a year. Get up to 10+ and you are in contention for the playoff. With a competent QB I feel like this year’s team would have been at 8-9 wins, so asking for them to get to 8+ next season and another jump of 1-2 wins the 3rd year shouldn’t be considered unreasonable. In fact that is exactly what Rhule has done at each of his 2 previous college HC jobs. 

I think the O-Line got markedly better throughout this past season, to the point where everyone’s favorite whipping boy, Raiola, hasn’t even been mentioned as a needed coaching change. Not to mention the strong recruiting class of O-linemen he has coming in. The D-Line was very good and most of those key pieces are returning. Frankly I feel pretty good about the trenches on this team currently, which is a key building block for success. Add a QB and a couple more pieces to to the roster and this team should take another jump next year. 

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I would say in year 3 that the Huskers should be competing to win 9+ games a year. Get up to 10+ and you are in contention for the playoff. With a competent QB I feel like this year’s team would have been at 8-9 wins, so asking for them to get to 8+ next season and another jump of 1-2 wins the 3rd year shouldn’t be considered unreasonable. In fact that is exactly what Rhule has done at each of his 2 previous college HC jobs. 

I think the O-Line got markedly better throughout this past season, to the point where everyone’s favorite whipping boy, Raiola, hasn’t even been mentioned as a needed coaching change. Not to mention the strong recruiting class of O-linemen he has coming in. The D-Line was very good and most of those key pieces are returning. Frankly I feel pretty good about the trenches on this team currently, which is a key building block for success. Add a QB and a couple more pieces to to the roster and this team should take another jump next year. 

This is what makes this past season so frustrating.  There actually have been so many good things happening in the program, but one position (the most important) held everything else back.  

I happen to agree with you.  And...everyone needs to remember that the playoffs expand to 12 teams.  So, that helps with the "contending for a playoff spot". 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is what makes this past season so frustrating.  There actually have been so many good things happening in the program, but one position (the most important) held everything else back.  

I happen to agree with you.  And...everyone needs to remember that the playoffs expand to 12 teams.  So, that helps with the "contending for a playoff spot". 

Completely agree with your frustration, it masks the overall improvement in the program this past year. The playoff expansion to 12 teams is why I think they could/should be in contention for a spot. I am not saying it they will get in, but they should be close. Looking at this year’s final rankings, teams 9-12 were all 10-2 and the next 3 were all 9-3 so getting up to 9+ wins in the B1G means your are in contention for a top 12 playoff spot. I don’t think it is unreasonable to get there, especially with Rhule’s track record and the overall program improvement in the program this year. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1