Saban Retiring

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wonder if this is going to be one of those Riley to USC or Kelly to LSU hires.  A name that comes out of nowhere who currently has a top program.  Ryan Day fits that description.  Would Brian Kelly jump again?  Then after that you go down to the Gundy's of the world.

Someone mentioned Leipold.  He'd be a good hire. Klieman would be to.  Both guys who are up there in age who can be there 4 years, win 9-10 games a year, and eventually get fired for not winning a NC.

Man, I forgot Harbaugh.  That would be the most "wow, never thought that" hire that could happen.

21 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I have a hard time believing that Saban did not at least tell the AD that he was strongly considering retirement earlier in the year. I'm sure that the AD has a list of people but as we Nebraska fans know, it's not as easy to fill the job after an unbelievable run of success. Nobody wants to be remembered as the guy who killed the dynasty so to speak

I read somewhere that his wife is sick and he wants to spend time with her.  Don't know if true, or if true, how long she's been sick.  But, if it's something fairly recent, then there might not have been much time to make the decision.

• Plus1 1

I genuinely don't understand what is happening with announcing Saban's replacement. Alabama is one of the top two or three jobs in the country, right? Maybe the top job?

Maybe people don't want to follow a legend. Maybe they're hearing from inside the locker room about an exodus. For sure they are not getting outbid on this, right?

Weird situation.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I genuinely don't understand what is happening with announcing Saban's replacement. Alabama is one of the top two or three jobs in the country, right? Maybe the top job?

I don't think that's true. Saban was one of the top two or three head coaches of all time, maybe the top. But Alabama isn't a better place to go for a HC than the other roughly 25 top programs. In the modern era of college football, the NIL collective(s) are arguably more important than the schools themselves.

• Plus1 1