The Bubba Starling Thread

[You realize you're exactly the kind of person all these articles mention that Bubba gets really peeved about, speaking for him?

If he does go the baseball route, he'd better not get drafted by any NY, Philly, or Boston team...

Or invest in a thick skin kit...

FYI the Mets have first shot at #13 and the Red Sox are at #19. The Phillies and Yankees do not have first round picks this year due to trades.

I doubt Bubba gets out of the top 10.

Then thats good for Bubba...

He'll be better off in a small market..

I think the success of his future is the deciding factor.

Sure, with his ability he could tear it up in the minors, but when it comes to taking the next step... is he going to be a pro football or pro baseball player or maybe some other career? That's what is so tough for him to decide right now. MLB would be the easy route for him right now (financially as well), But he is a well grounded kid and does not want to do just what's easy... He wants to succeed for years to come and wants to see and prove to everyone what he's really made of.

He could benefit from playing two sports, getting a degree, and possibly more money down the road. He should build his character by proving himself on another level. His family would understand, and would be very supportive of him in college I'm sure.

Although there are risks, the players that make it through will stand out. An education means something to some people. :bigredn:

I agree. You read so many sad stories of kids going right into the pros, making tons of money and then ending up on drugs et al and washed up before they're 25. I don't think that would happen with this young man but it could. Going to college does more than just give you a degree. It allows one to mature, to building intellect, athleticism and especially character.

You read so many sad stories of kids going right into the pros, making tons of money and then ending up on drugs et al and washed up before they're 25.

And the only difference between the pros and college is the money part. There are plenty of drugs, sex, and other issues available to the average college sport star.

An education actually means something to some people.

I'll trade you my college degree for 6 million. College educations are likely one of the most overrated societal dogmas in modern life.

An education actually means something to some people.

I'll trade you my college degree for 6 million. College educations are likely one of the most overrated societal dogmas in modern life.

Like I said, An education actually means something to some people.

When your 70 yrs old looking back on your life I am sure you would think differently.

I have more formal education than 99+% of people walking the face of the earth and I can tell you with great certainty that a great deal of that education was a waste of time, effort, and money. When I'm 70, if I get there, I'll probably be even more angry at any wasted time spent in "education".

The latest article on Bubba. Get used to it - there's going to be a million of them.

Bubba is told of Nebraska football's fan day, held in early August at the outset of preseason practice, when thousands of Husker fans pour into Memorial Stadium for the autograph and photo ritual.

“Really?” Starling says. He smiles big. He likes the sound of that. “Well, hopefully I'll be playing football at Nebraska. Or playing baseball. One of the two.”

The Huskers' version of The Decision looms. Where will Starling take his talents?

Link to Sam McKewon article

Didn't realize it, but Sam's article was a two-parter. Here's part two:

And if Starling's so close to his family, well, wouldn't a giant signing bonus be a way of setting his parents up for life? Of saying thank you? I asked Deb that.

“Well, he could have that opportunity four years from now,” she says without hesitation. “And he'd have the maturity at that point. I'm his mom. My daughter (Jamie) is a junior in college right now. I've seen her changes from just her freshman year to her junior year. She plays volleyball (at Baker University) and she's changed a lot in three years. They grow up.”

Bo and Beck seem to have Mom on their side.

Now Boras flies in Monday to see his advisee for the first time. Bubba doesn't talk to him much.

“He's a pretty busy guy,” Starling says.

Linky

I find it very interesting that they've never met Boras face-to-face. He seems like an odd guy to hire based on some phone calls. And if Bubba is so important to him, wouldn't Boras want to fly out there to meet the family and cement that relationship up front?

I'm not going to say Boras did something wrong - the guy is a gazillionaire and the top agent in the business - but that just seems odd to me.

Well you know where Boras is going to push, he might be THE factor in Bubba's decision. That guy "shows them the money". It will be a gamble either way Bubba chooses, but the decision watch will be fun to follow and will be happy with whatever he goes with. What a great situation to be in at 18. ;)

Boras has negotiated $100+M contracts. Bubba just isn't that big of a client, though with potential for more down the road, I'm sure Boras would love for him to turn pro now. He's probably figured that pushing him early on wasn't going to work, and even if he got him to "commit" Bubba could change his mind. Now that the draft is approaching, Boras is ready to focus. Plus one of his people, a former pro baseball player, has met with him so it's not like he's been ignored.

If it were me I'd say take the Money, (put some $ away and call it our scholar ship emergency fund). It is the risk of injury that I can't get past.

That said I wonder what % of athletes really get injured to the point of not being able to compete any longer. I'd be curious to know becasue it is a risk analysis in my book. It is easy to get tied up in stories of sports ending injuy, they get the headlines and pull at our hearts.

I wish him the best no matter what and I hope he comes to Nebraska, another great talent would be good to have.

Don't get me wrong ... I think it will be ultra difficult for NU to keep him. With that said, isn't mom and dad blocking Boras' direct path somewhat and protecting Bubba from being pushed too hard by the agent? This seems like a very close knit and protective family. Again, I can't imagine Bubba turning down all that money, but I doubt from what I here about his parents that Boras can directly approach Bubba anytime he pleases. He has to get through Bubba's parents first ... and he may very well succeed at that. We will see this summer.