Anybody play with/against a Husker in high school?

I haven't played against any Nebraska kids in any sport.. Just spent about 2 hours looking into it. Yep, I have a life.

Some notables at other D1 schools, though;

Byron Hout played on the same team as me in high school, he's the Boise State kid that got punched in the face against Oregon. He's a good guy, we still keep in touch. I played with/against a bunch of BSU players now... They weren't that great in high school (not counting Byron, he was a freak of nature. 1st team All State 3 years in a row); goes to show that Chris Petersen is getting the most out of his kids.

Brock Osweiller, the starting QB for Arizona State. Played him in basketball, and he was a force. 6'8 and had a sweet jumper. Standing at 5'9, I didn't really guard him much. He dropped 30 on us, but we still won by 15. He didn't have much help up in Kalispell. Committed to play bball at Gonzaga before he decided to go the STD route at ASU.

Carson York- starts on the offensive line at Oregon. He was very overrated in high school, but took a grey shirt, a red shirt, and got gigantic in the time away. Now he's good. He played on the same team as Byron and myself.

Played with Matt and Adam Ickes at Orchard. Adam hit me so hard in practice once I didn't know where I was for 5 minutes. Matt was a senior in '96 and I remember seeing Osborne walking down our hallway - made a special trip up to talk to him about walking on. That made a big impression on me concerning the kind of guy Osborne is.

On a related note, this year a player for Pierce was hurt pretty bad in the game vs. Boone Central, and was life-flighted down to Omaha. A couple days into his recovery, Osborne and Joel Mackovicka made a visit to see him and bring him all kinds of autographed stuff because they knew he was a big Husker fan. Just reaffirms my belief in this program, its leadership, and this state.

A post I read on another thread got me thinking about this, so I figured I'd bring it up. I'm wondering if anybody else on here ever played on the same team as, or played against, a current or former Husker player. I'm sure this has been posted before, and my apologies if it has. Just thought I'd bring it back up.

Since I went to a D2 school and most of the schools around here are also D2, it's rare to see anybody from this area wind up getting any playing time for the Huskers, but I remember Steve Kriewald being a pretty good fullback. I was a freshman when he was a senior at NL-S, and we played against them at home in the state playoffs. Since we had a pretty deep team that year and I was just a freshman, I never got in during the game, but I definitely remember watching him burn our fastest guys every time he had room to run. We ended up winning the game, but just barely.

Anybody else have any stories like that?

Are you from Chambers?

On a related note, this year a player for Pierce was hurt pretty bad in the game vs. Boone Central, and was life-flighted down to Omaha. A couple days into his recovery, Osborne and Joel Mackovicka made a visit to see him and bring him all kinds of autographed stuff because they knew he was a big Husker fan. Just reaffirms my belief in this program, its leadership, and this state.

This spread like wild fire in Pierce. Had anyone in town with half a heart in tears...

Good note: The injured player seems to be making amazing progress and family & doctors are very hopeful for a solid recovery.

This spread like wild fire in Pierce. Had anyone in town with half a heart in tears...

Good note: The injured player seems to be making amazing progress and family & doctors are very hopeful for a solid recovery.

Good to hear! Are you from Pierce? I student-taught there (so I know the boy who was hurt) a couple years ago and helped out coaching the freshman squad - Brahmer is a great coach and a great guy, as are the assistants.

I played with the kelsays and quint hogrefe... its funny of the three Chris turned out the best, but was probably the the lesser of the 3 in HS. quint was CLEARLY the best in HS but never broke through.... if he would have gone there a few years later he would have played more. I played against matt davison in basketball and baseball from 3rd grade on.

Youre from Auburn huh?

surrounding town, but went to JR high and HS there

Im from Falls City so ive heard a lot of stories of the Kelsay brothers...

Good to hear! Are you from Pierce? I student-taught there (so I know the boy who was hurt) a couple years ago and helped out coaching the freshman squad - Brahmer is a great coach and a great guy, as are the assistants.

Originally. I graduated in 99 and live in Omaha/Lincoln area now, but Pierce will always be my hometown. I have a lot of family there, including my parents, so I still get involved in the small town gossip.

Played with Erwin Swiney, Clifford Brye, Jeremy Bender (Tay Bender's dad) and Trevor Johnson in high school and against Eric Crouch, Willie Miller, John Gibson, and Jon Bowling. Erwin was the fastest dude I've ever seen and strong as a bull. We kept Crouch in check our junior year but they still beat us. Played Millard North again senior year but Crouch didn't play due to an ankle if I remember right.

played with joel wilks who started for the 94 national championship team. he was a sophmore when i was a senior. the guy was about 6' 3", but only 175 lbs at the time. i guess he hit the weight room and didn't miss any meals. his dad jerry (the principal of the high school) was a big guy and played for the huskers during the 60's.

Don't remember specifically playing against them because they're all a year under me and I didn't really pay attention to who was on another team, but I played teams with Mike Caputo (Millard North, hardest hitting team we ever played and either class A state champs or runner up don't remember), Austin Cassidy (Southeast), Baker Steinkuler (Southwest), and anybody from Lincoln public schools, Norfolk, North Platte, Grand Island, or Bellevue West that graduated last year.

Jim Ebke was my QB for my senior year and I remember getting him at least one TD but mostly just trying not to get him killed. And I played midget and HS football with Sam Meginnis.

Played against Tyler Wortman and Todd Peterson.

Have a buddy from GICC that swears Peterson was a baby and cried or something during one game.