Sports Journalism hits a new low.

That was a nice breakdown of the situation.... The OWH should be careful how they handle the Pelini situation, because it could hurt their credibility, and Pelini won't be any easier for them to deal with in the future....

Nice article. I have noticed the way the media chooses to portray Bo as the bad guy for quite some time. I just don't pay attention to it any more.

You might think that Pelini was a monster throughout the entire game, but it wasn't until the fourth quarter that Pelini went after the officials. ...

The fourth quarter started poorly for the Huskers, and as we know, things didn't get any better as it went on. The fourth started with a punt return to South Carolina. What looked like a block in the back earned a penalty, but the flag was picked up with no explanation from the official.

That is a great article, da skers. It doesn't sugar-coat Pelini's tirades. Instead, it puts his temper in perspective. Better perspective than the game coverage and OWH anyway.

The media sells for itself, not for the actual facts. On the other hand, maybe Bo needs to be a little kinder to the press, as well as to the fans. Then, writing negative spew would not take place.

I'm sure negative writing would take place anyways. Regardless of wether Bo plays nice with the reporters or not. When they write, they look for one thing, and that is hits...they try to make themselves part of the story and last time I checked, that's not good reporting.

The media sells for itself, not for the actual facts. On the other hand, maybe Bo needs to be a little kinder to the press, as well as to the fans. Then, writing negative spew would not take place.

I'm sure negative writing would take place anyways. Regardless of wether Bo plays nice with the reporters or not. When they write, they look for one thing, and that is hits...they try to make themselves part of the story and last time I checked, that's not good reporting.

yes, but Bo sure makes for an easy target.......he could work on that some more, the networks have it figured out, ever time a penalty is called, the camera pans to a shot of Pelini.......and stays on him when he blows a gasket.....that won't change anytime soon.

Bo is going to have to be a saint for a few seasons in order to get out of the media spotlight. Unfortunately he brought it on himself with a few explosions, and now he's been tagged by the media as a raging madman. The best way to make it go away is for Bo to not give them anything that could reinforce the perception that they're trying to create. It will be tough to do, but he can't afford to have this go on. I'm not in Nebraska, and the perception from many in my area is that he's insane. People can't stand him, and i know that it will drive a few recruits away if it continues.

yes, but Bo sure makes for an easy target.......he could work on that some more, the networks have it figured out, ever time a penalty is called, the camera pans to a shot of Pelini.......and stays on him when he blows a gasket.....that won't change anytime soon.

True, but he is far from the only coach to which this applies.

Why do you guys get so riled up over this sh#t?

Because I expect professional journalists to do a professional job, and when they don't, I get upset about it.

I suppose you sit calmly while amateur athletes muck around the football field, dropping passes and blowing coverages? Or do you get riled up? Same thing.

No, you expect the Huskers media to only write nice things... Is a professional journalist someone who only writes positive articles ? Because people only complain when writers bring up a valid point.

I understand there are certain journalists who handle it poorly and only write negativity but i think writers like Dirk do both and cover what needs to be covered.... Go through all his articles and count the positive and negative.

For the record....our AP writer for Nebraska football along with another OWH reporter are wanting to write a negative story on Bo in the up coming days. I say wanting because they are calling boosters and asking loaded questions that are in a negative slant to serve the purpose of the story. One guy is already stating he was not asked a single positive question about Bo in the 10 minutes he talked to this reporter and he pointed it out to the guy. I can't believe these guys call themselves reporters doing that crap and I wish UNL would set up more Randy York stuff and send it out daily to the news papers to counter act this type of crap. They are being very specific and trying to generate a negative response. As a former journalist, stuff like this pisses me off. These two guys are going out of their way to try and create hate for a public individual that can't even legally protect himself. And they wonder why they get short, sh#t answers when they ask them.

Please remember this when you're reading the "spin" from a couple of guys with no journalistic integrity what so ever.

Whats your point? The two major papers (well 1.25) should sunshine pump the Program at all costs? Bo has issues, maybe those need to be talked about, the public mind set a little riled up right now, and the OWH is going to feed into that. Both the LJS and OWH have been (rightly) accused of eating out of UNL's hand, maybe the OWH wants to change the status quo a little...

If you are connected as you claim to be, you know the media has sat on at least one story about Bo's behaviour off the field, and ignored the 500 pound gorilla that was Carls home life, that was the worst kept secret in Lancaster county, and not one word from either. In the end people should be able to understand a hit piece, if that is truley what it is. Should the OWH go out of its way to bash Bo, no, but if a negative article can create usefull discussion, then it might not be a bad thing.

Why is Carl's divorce anyone's business? If one of us has marriage problems it isn't for public. It shouldn't be any different for a coach. So I don't see how that's a gorilla for anyone. And Id have to know which other rumor you're addressing. Bo's done everything from punch his kids coach to destroy TO's office. I would hope you're not that dense.

OK now.. now who's sensationalizing? I get so sick and tired of reading this rumor b.s. without any bit of evidence to back it up. If you're going to make such a slanderous claim, then back it up!! You come off like a tattle-tale little sister who says, "I know something bad about you, and I'm not telling!!!"

So, hey moderator-- since you're always locking threads that you deem irrelevant, and let other threads which start off on topic, and then become hundreds of posts of personal chatter, and unrelated talk--- then take control here. I'm getting really sick and tired of seeing people that post slanderous claims without backing it up!

You couldn't have missed the sarcasm in da skers post any worse. Congratulations on the whiff.

Whoa, hey. Hey, whoa. Take it easy bub. I'm in charge of irreverently pointing out when people say dumb things around here.

The other coaches viewed as the same as Bo, does not hurt Nebraska, only Bo's actions do. I doubt the media will ever stop following him, here or anywhere he might end up down the road. He has established a history and it will be his to bear. The problem is that is it is a National perception of him and the program, some would say that his negativness towards officials is seen in practice by his players and are grilled the same way, possibly earning dog house stardom. I have never seen one of Bo's practices. Those that have may have better light on that. But of the outside fans that I have talkd to, they feel he is crazy, out of control, and mean.

I was guilty of this with my son racing motocross. I would center on the negative, hassle him over his mistakes and gave him a nickname that affected him down the road. My wife corrected me and I found that with positive remarks about his racing helped him overcome what I had instilled in him. But you have to be willing to learn, stubborness is not a good habit to have normally. You have to learn every opportunity you get. Bo has been given a lot of opportunities, I am hoping he sees what he needs to do to stop this media problem.

My big-time booster friends say they have only been asked positive questions!

disclaimer: I actually have no big-time booster friends, so, just kidding :P

I have to say, it would be very poor journalism for reporters to fish for one side of a story like this. To be fair though, whether or not that is actually the case here is extremely subjective and any claims one way or another probably can't be substantiated.

I don't doubt you, but I am somewhat surprised that there isn't more doubt. We are a very skeptical bunch when it comes to the grapevine.

I understand there are certain journalists who handle it poorly and only write negativity but i think writers like Dirk do both and cover what needs to be covered.... Go through all his articles and count the positive and negative.

I expect journalists to write honestly and fairly, not to fish around for stuff to back up a certain agenda. That is worth getting riled up about, I guess. The negative and the positive doesn't matter to me, the open-mindedness does.

I was PISSED the announcers kept saying how Bo was blowing up everywhere bit they DIDN'T SHOW the play in reference where it seemed cler to Bo hat a personal foul was in order.

Same with the picked up flag for blocking in the back on the same drive. NO REPLAY. But they show Bo walking around chewing gum or yelling at refs.

Bo isn't even that nuts. Has anyone here played college ball? There are coaches on every staff that yell and scream. Don't like it? Let the "media" tell some story how people thinks it looks bad.

The only thing I'll agree on is when Bo does sideline interviews and sound bite stuff. Its called grace and patience and he needs to show it.

That was a nice breakdown of the situation.... The OWH should be careful how they handle the Pelini situation, because it could hurt their credibility, and Pelini won't be any easier for them to deal with in the future....

Nice article. I have noticed the way the media chooses to portray Bo as the bad guy for quite some time. I just don't pay attention to it any more.

You might think that Pelini was a monster throughout the entire game, but it wasn't until the fourth quarter that Pelini went after the officials. ...

The fourth quarter started poorly for the Huskers, and as we know, things didn't get any better as it went on. The fourth started with a punt return to South Carolina. What looked like a block in the back earned a penalty, but the flag was picked up with no explanation from the official.

That is a great article, da skers. It doesn't sugar-coat Pelini's tirades. Instead, it puts his temper in perspective. Better perspective than the game coverage and OWH anyway.

That was a good article. The comments afterwards are good too. Lots of coaches get mad when the refs call ridiculous calls on their players. But like folks here already know: Sensationalism sells papers-or gets you to click on the story. Sad commentary on the state of our country and journalism in particular.

Why do you guys get so riled up over this sh#t?

Because I expect professional journalists to do a professional job, and when they don't, I get upset about it.

I suppose you sit calmly while amateur athletes muck around the football field, dropping passes and blowing coverages? Or do you get riled up? Same thing.

No, you expect the Huskers media to only write nice things... Is a professional journalist someone who only writes positive articles ? Because people only complain when writers bring up a valid point.

What a load of crap. At no time have I EVER said anything remotely like this. And on numerous occasions I have discussed the negative things about Nebraska sports, some brought up in news articles, some I know about personally. If you have to make stuff up about me to make a point, you may not have much of a point to make.

Now, is it possible to write about bad things that happen with the Huskers and not do a poor job? Obviously. Many, many negative articles have been written in the past few weeks and I haven't said Boo! about them. So don't come with this load of hogwash that I only "expect the Huskers media to only write nice things." It's stupid and demonstrably wrong.

The problem people like Dirk have is that, on occasion, they go way overboard in their zeal to produce The Big Story. Dirk isn't some noble, honest journalist covering only what needs to be covered. You're fooling you with that BS, not me. Dirk likes to poke the bee's nest, and he's done it for years. The fact that he usually writes decent, well-written articles doesn't obviate the number of over-the-top nonsense pieces he's spewed forth. He doesn't get a pass for the schlock he writes because of the good articles any more than Martinez gets a pass for the INTs he throws because he busts off some nice runs sometimes.

If we're going to crack on amateur athletes for the mistakes they make, I don't think it's a hardship for a "professional journalist" to take some heat for the crap they do. You can't have it both ways.

If the article is focusing on the opinions of boosters, what merit will it have? Might as well interview me 2 minutes after the South Carolina game. I'm sure there would have been a few inflammatory remarks passed on the state of the program. If the article relies on these interviews heavily, which it should if it's trying to make some kind of point concerning the perception of Pelini within the Husker fan base, then the questions should be fairly open ended, with coresspondingly comprehensive answers. The point being, it's not cross examination. The questions aren't 'loaded' just because you may surprise yourself with the answer you find yourself offering up.

Personally, I don't give a flying f@&$ what a booster says to a journalist. But if the piece comes out with a premise of less -than-glowing reviews of recent husker football, I'm not going to dismiss it out of hand. Rather, I will examine the supporting pieces of testimony and evidence that SHOULD be present in the article. If its lacking, I'll say so. If there's a point to be made, I'll concede it.

What I'm not going to do is freak out days before the piece is released and send out an all hands, Paul Reveresque warning to the message board. 'The smear piece is coming! The smear piece is coming!'

I have confidence that most of you, when being honest with yourselves, will make a clear judgment about whether an article has merit or not. Until then, remember that our 'poor' coach has a lot of support here and Lincoln, Nebraska isn't exactly a media epicenter where droves of hacks are putting him under the microscope every minute.

• Fire 1