Netflix & streaming video stuff worth watching

borgias-renewed-season-2.jpg

Been watching "The Borgias" this past week or so. Another historical fiction cable docudrama. It's okay if you like violence, intrigue and nekked chicks. In other words, it's okay. #ThumbsUp :lol:

The wife and I just started Twin Peaks on Netflix a few days ago. Didn't watch it at all when it aired back in 90-91. It's really strange and different but we sort of like it. Lots of weird characters.

Might have to go back and watch the whole Twin Peaks series at some point. I caught a few episodes some time back. And it seemed interesting. Weird, but interesting.

Netflix Continues To Crush Cable TV

Netflix is a train that can't be stopped, and it's starting to flatten cable.

Forty percent of all U.S. households with TV and/or broadband Internet use a subscription video on-demand service like Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus, according to new data released by Nielsen on Wednesday. This is up from 36 percent of households that reported having on-demand subscription video over the same period of time in 2013. Among the households subscribing to these services, 36 percent have Netflix, 13 percent have Amazon Prime and 6.5 percent have Hulu Plus, Nielsen reports.

As the number of homes with streaming video subscriptions rises, an increasing number of American homes are Internet-only, subscribing to broadband Internet and not TV.

The number of U.S. households that have broadband Internet but don’t subscribe to TV grew to more than 10.5 million in the third quarter of 2014, up 16 percent over the same period in 2012, research firm SNL Kagan told The Huffington Post earlier this year.

We ditched cable the week after the USC bowl game. Haven't missed it one bit. Got a digital antenna and watched the Super Bowl over the air like the 1980s, otherwise, but that's the only thing I've turned on regular television for since cutting the cord.

• Fire 2

Netflix Continues To Crush Cable TV

Netflix is a train that can't be stopped, and it's starting to flatten cable.

Forty percent of all U.S. households with TV and/or broadband Internet use a subscription video on-demand service like Netflix, Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus, according to new data released by Nielsen on Wednesday. This is up from 36 percent of households that reported having on-demand subscription video over the same period of time in 2013. Among the households subscribing to these services, 36 percent have Netflix, 13 percent have Amazon Prime and 6.5 percent have Hulu Plus, Nielsen reports.

As the number of homes with streaming video subscriptions rises, an increasing number of American homes are Internet-only, subscribing to broadband Internet and not TV.

The number of U.S. households that have broadband Internet but don’t subscribe to TV grew to more than 10.5 million in the third quarter of 2014, up 16 percent over the same period in 2012, research firm SNL Kagan told The Huffington Post earlier this year.

We ditched cable the week after the USC bowl game. Haven't missed it one bit. Got a digital antenna and watched the Super Bowl over the air like the 1980s, otherwise, but that's the only thing I've turned on regular television for since cutting the cord.

This.

Plus, for the folks that don't venture to the Political tab (don't blame 'em, frankly), this cord-cutting is one of the reasons the major Telecom companies (e.g. Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, Time Warner) are pulling out all of the stops to prevent Net Neutrality--these services will ultimately undermine their ability to sell cable television packages at a premium, especially when people can just cut the cord and watch what they want on demand.

Add to that startups like Sling TV that are attempting to provide a la carte (or close to it) cable channels via internet at a low price ($20/mo), giant telecom companies will eventually become utility companies, not unlike power or water providers, and the only thing they'll have to worry about is making sure everyone has a sustained fat internet pipe to their home--the choice in how said pipe is used will be up to the consumer, and not big Telecom.

This movie "Dark Skies" on Netflix scared the crap outta my fiancé and daughter. I caught a bit of it earlier and it even creeped me out a bit. I hate those damn big eyed alien things. I think I watched too much Unsolved Mysteries or something as a kid because those aliens trip me out.

• Fire 1

Not sure where to stream it legally, but if you are a fan of cerebral sci-fi stories (think Christopher Nolan type movies), you have to watch Coherence. Low-budget but high production, really interesting story and superb acting and dialogue that is almost all improv. It's about weird sh#t happening to a group of friends at a dinner party as a comet passes by the earth messing with the laws of quantum physics.

They stream the Super Bowl online for free every year. Have a laptop or media computer with an HDMI port & hook it up to a big screen TV (actually, you don't even need that. VGA might work, but you'd have to put the sound through somewhere else).

They stream the Super Bowl online for free every year. Have a laptop or media computer with an HDMI port & hook it up to a big screen TV (actually, you don't even need that. VGA might work, but you'd have to put the sound through somewhere else).

My laptop is connected to my tv as we speak. I use RGB cable and just plug it into the audio jack on the computer. Most TV's have the audio jack as well.

yeah but you don't get the same commercial feed