TE Beau Sandland [Miami Commit]

Nexus

Our chances just took big hit

This might say it all:

When pressed further that Marrow's departure from Lincoln could adversely affect The Husker staff's chances to land him, Sandland replied:

"Yeah."

"Could" it affect his decision? Of course. Will it? We might not ever know.

Sounds like Bo called Sandland ahead of time (couple days ago) to let him know this might happen. Sandland asked a few questions about who would be coaching TEs now and asked to be kept in the loop about who that might be. Might make a difference on who we bring in to replace Marrow.

I imagine that the TE's will be coached by Coach Fischer and partly by the OL coaches, unless they find a GA with TE experience which I am not surehow likely that would be?

Sounds like Bo told him he (Beau) "shouldn't be worried about being coached by a good coach" and Bo may already have some guys in mind.

It would probably make sense to bring in a replacement "TE coach" as that would mean the rest of the offensive staff wouldn't have to change what they've been doing. Maybe the same reason we have Ganz as a GA as we don't have a true QB coach.

I get that it's a position of need but I'm over this. We've always done well out of the TE position with guys way less heralded than Beau. Time to put in a last pitch, demand to know where we stand and act accordingly!

^ This. I have kind of thought for awhile. TE is not a need like DT is.

If I was him I could care less about who my position coach is going to be. I would be trying to get tight with the QB and OC!!!!

And anyone who make a decision like this on a position coach is crazy. With college football the way it is now and how coaches, heads and assistants, move around you cannot just commit to a coach, especially an asst coach.

If I was him I could care less about who my position coach is going to be. I would be trying to get tight with the QB and OC!!!!

And anyone who make a decision like this on a position coach is crazy. With college football the way it is now and how coaches, heads and assistants, move around you cannot just commit to a coach, especially an asst coach.

I agree, and especially an unpaid asst coach.

Can I ask why Sandland is such a big deal compared to any other recruit we are after? It seems like most people on here are (at least by comments) are judging 2013 recruiting class as a success or failure based on if we get him.

No doubt, he is highly rated and would be a great addition. However, TE certainly isn't our strongest need and because he is JUCO he wouldn't be here for four years anyway. Shouldn't we really be placing a recruiting win/lose priority on DL and/or OL?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is everyone acting like he is holding the value of our class in his commit?

Can I ask why Sandland is such a big deal compared to any other recruit we are after? It seems like most people on here are (at least by comments) are judging 2013 recruiting class as a success or failure based on if we get him.

No doubt, he is highly rated and would be a great addition. However, TE certainly isn't our strongest need and because he is JUCO he wouldn't be here for four years anyway. Shouldn't we really be placing a recruiting win/lose priority on DL and/or OL?

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is everyone acting like he is holding the value of our class in his commit?

We lose two senior TE's and this guy is ready to come in and contribute right away. Obviously the recruiting season doesn't crumble without him, but have you seen our depth chart at TE?

He's a TE who could start at Stanford.

I have, but we do have the other TE recruit and it's much easier to convert or use a wide receiver in the spot than it is a good OL or DL in their positions. I see the value, but not in the way everyone is acting. In the Top 10 - absolutely. A beginning and ending recruiting grade like some are acting - no.

I imagine that the TE's will be coached by Coach Fischer and partly by the OL coaches, unless they find a GA with TE experience which I am not surehow likely that would be?

Sounds like Bo told him he (Beau) "shouldn't be worried about being coached by a good coach" and Bo may already have some guys in mind.

It would probably make sense to bring in a replacement "TE coach" as that would mean the rest of the offensive staff wouldn't have to change what they've been doing. Maybe the same reason we have Ganz as a GA as we don't have a true QB coach.

Garrison is technically listed as the official TE Coach along with Co-Offensive line Coach.