Nebraska Alternative (aka Sacrilegious) Uniform Slamma Ramma Extravaganza 2012

The black helmets are badass. I love them. As for the rest, I'm alright with it. It is just for one game and is fun for the players and fans. IMO this is OK for one game and we are not on either extreme nor do I think we will ever be. One extreme is Oregon who had a cool thing going but now are a laughingstock with how many different uni's they have and some are awful. Bring out a new look for a bowl game...Oregon that is fine...but some of the variations with the green and puke yellow are terrible. Also their ones where you are not able to read the names on the back just look cheap and we are trying to be cool but epic fail. The other extreme is Maryland...they tried but wow 4 out of every 5 people I know that have commented on them think those may be the worst college football uni's evah! They just completely struck out.

I like them. Contrary to popular belief, this will get us some positive press from the talking heads and actually have a kid or two (recruits) take notice and actually look more into us (research our program) because of something so simple as a "modern" look.

I would also like to buy the jersey. Any idea if they will be sold?

Bingo. And you know what? The players like them. Rex Burkhead likes them, wants to wear them all the time.

Heard an interview with Kain Colter on the radio on the way home today. He was all geeked up about Northwestern's new unis this year, wanted to have it on to walk around in at Big Ten Media Days. The players really like this kind of thing.

That's why I'm on board. Personally, I'd leave the uniforms alone. But I'm not the guy wearing it. If the guys wearing it like this, and they're cognizant of the respect and tradition inherent in the uniforms, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

I think you should let the players make all the decisions for the team. That sounds like a winning plan.

BTW for those who keep repeating 'it's only one game, that's what Ohio State fans were saying three years ago. Now things like this are surfacing...

Ohio-State---chrome-diamond-plated-helmet.jpg

Once you let the tail start wagging the dog it's hard to go back.

I don't see anything wrong with these. The diamond plated steel look is sweet!

I wasn't a huge fan of bringing a pro combat uniform to Nebraska, but if it would have been something cool, I wouldn't have minded too much.

But this? lmao. It looks like a lame comicbook superhero. THE N MAN12

I award it 2 facepalms :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Fire 3

Bingo. And you know what? The players like them. Rex Burkhead likes them, wants to wear them all the time.

Heard an interview with Kain Colter on the radio on the way home today. He was all geeked up about Northwestern's new unis this year, wanted to have it on to walk around in at Big Ten Media Days. The players really like this kind of thing.

That's why I'm on board. Personally, I'd leave the uniforms alone. But I'm not the guy wearing it. If the guys wearing it like this, and they're cognizant of the respect and tradition inherent in the uniforms, that's really all that matters, isn't it?

I think you should let the players make all the decisions for the team. That sounds like a winning plan.

BTW for those who keep repeating 'it's only one game, that's what Ohio State fans were saying three years ago. Now things like this are surfacing...

Ohio-State---chrome-diamond-plated-helmet.jpg

Once you let the tail start wagging the dog it's hard to go back.

That's not an OSU helmet. HGI just made it for a sample. If anything, OSU is a direction to look for alternate uniforms. They've had 3 terrific sets in 3 years.

vglsnb.jpgDAI-Ohio-State-Nike-ProCombat-2010*280.jpg?v=1ohio-state-pro-combat.jpg

ohio-state-pro-combat.jpg

Love those helmets. The metallic red would be cool for nebraska in the future.

Those helmets wi the metalic red and matte black instead of gray would be sweeeet. Would look great with the alt NU unis above.

Really sad. Are we that attention hungry? Are we that dude in class who has to try to be like everyone else, trying to stick out to get attention? Mommy not give us enough attention so we need something to say... he look at us! f'ing disgrace!

Our boys have played for 50 years without needed a new uni. If the kids we have today want new unis, feel free to transfer.

Our 6 seats will be empty for this game, i cant support stupid sh#t like this.

and there goes the sellout strike.

guys, that deserved more likes, my response was hilarious. (go to page 15 and like it, that response was so money. spot on, really). (remember the sellout streak thread? those were the best of times, a simpler time).

Really sad. Are we that attention hungry? Are we that dude in class who has to try to be like everyone else, trying to stick out to get attention? Mommy not give us enough attention so we need something to say... he look at us! f'ing disgrace!

Our boys have played for 50 years without needed a new uni. If the kids we have today want new unis, feel free to transfer.

Our 6 seats will be empty for this game, i cant support stupid sh#t like this.

and there goes the sellout strike.

guys, that deserved more likes, my response was hilarious. (go to page 15 and like it, that response was so money. spot on, really). (remember the sellout streak thread? those were the best of times, a simpler time).

This just conjured up images of Chris Farley on SNL interviewing movie stars: "remember that one time you did that thing? yeah, that was cool..." :cheers

I have a few things to say to the people of this thread.

1. I am sorry I ever created it. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm dead serious. I know someone else would have soon after, but I regret providing an avenue for some of the disgraceful, piss-poor attitudes and responses that I've seen since the uniforms leaked.

2. Seriously, shame on you guys (the ones pissing and moaning). You know what the University of Nebraska is really about? Well I'll give you one answer as to what it's NOT about;

YOU.

Get over yourselves. You have no rights to be a Husker, unless you donate to the University, in which case congratulations, you bought your way in. You didn't deserve it, you just have cash. It is entirely a privilege that you are able to associate yourself with a program that you "love", and you should start treating it as such rather than a right you were naturally born with.

3. As far as what, or rather who, the University of Nebraska is for, the answer is the students. Not just the student-athletes. Universities exist to serve students; insane right? University athletic programs exist to serve student-athletes, and these alternate jerseys are a gift to our student-athletes for sacrificing more and working harder than you ever will in your life to honor and respect the TRADITION of the school. Which one of you said Adidas should have made a poll for the fans to vote and then keep the results a secret, that way and I think I quote "they would make at least some people happy". Congratulations on being completely blinded by false-importance and thinking that this has anything to do with you or I as fans.

4. Do you even know what the word tradition means? One definition of it is "a long established or inherited way of thinking or acting". You guys just throw this around as your new buzz word without any real idea what the heart behind the word is. Tradition isn't found in varsity style lettering or the exact same hue of red or socks that are 3.75" high up the ankle or red facemasks or anything else like that; tradition is found in the heart, culture, intent and character that lies behind the details which change as time changes. You know what I think the real tradition of Nebraska football is? Serving our student-athletes rightly and graciously. For goodness sake, we had old uniforms with freaking BLUE in the color scheme! Let's do that for tradition's sake eh? And just as a point of detail, we have had black in our uniforms across multiple sports and across multiple decades - get over it or get walking or keep sitting at your computer screen crying.

5. Forge; good riddance to you. I'm sure Bo, Tom and the rest of the staff and players applaud your decision not to attend and support, because they do not want supports like you. They want supporters that consider it a privilege and joy to watch and cheer and have some damned perspective, not demanding and expecting their own personal unrealistic desires but applauding and respecting the team's desire and effort to give everything they have in the pursuit of greatness and in service to you as a fan. How much has the University of Nebraska football team given you to be thankful for? The least you could do is show some appreciation for those 20+ years of greatness you got to witness with those family tickets, and if you don't want to then none of us want you there anyways. Seriously. Don't go.

You asked a question and we gave you our opinion. Giving money to the Univ directly by check, is not the only way to say your a Husker and have the privilege to post our thoughts. Many other ways to contribute. Tickets from the Univ on away games in our area, for us living out of state, on line purchase from stores in lincoln, pay per view, {before B1G joining}. H. ILL subscribe. All these do contribute directly to the Univ. I'm sure close 99% of the posters on here have some type of Husker gear around.

I would never not go to a game because, of the uniforms. I don't have to like them, but i"m still going. Tweak them, if it helps recruiting, but never so much that someone would have to stop and look for a minute, to see what team is playing on TV. Its GBR not GBB. jmo

GBR!!!

As a "younger generation" fan, I'm opposed to alternative/modern jersies and dislike these and think they could have done better when going the alternative/modern route. I'm okay with an alternative/modern uniform once a year, or on a special occasion like homecoming or something.

I would still take our 2001 uniforms over any other uniform in our history.

However, I have to play devils advocate......

Everyone on here is saying that "If the players like it/want it/demand it, then they should be able to wear it". My concern is: How far do you let that go?

What if everyone, or the vast majority on the team, wanted to wear green, black, yellow and brown as colors for more than one game? Would you support that even if everyone on the team wanted that?

Going a step further: What if everyone on the team, or a vast majority of the team, wanted to wear the 2002 uniforms full time? Would you support their decision and welcome back the 2002 uniforms full time?

Just something to think about.

As a "younger generation" fan, I'm opposed to alternative/modern jersies and dislike these and think they could have done better when going the alternative/modern route. I'm okay with an alternative/modern uniform once a year, or on a special occasion like homecoming or something.

I would still take our 2001 uniforms over any other uniform in our history.

However, I have to play devils advocate......

Everyone on here is saying that "If the players like it/want it/demand it, then they should be able to wear it". My concern is: How far do you let that go?

What if everyone, or the vast majority on the team, wanted to wear green, black, yellow and brown as colors for more than one game? Would you support that even if everyone on the team wanted that?

Going a step further: What if everyone on the team, or a vast majority of the team, wanted to wear the 2002 uniforms full time? Would you support their decision and welcome back the 2002 uniforms full time?

Just something to think about.

That's just silly.

Ok this post is for all the old farts who are complaining about the jersey. Grow up! Mentally! The only reason you guys don't like them is because "They aren't traditional like the ones I saw us where when we were kicking butt." We have to evolve. We have been passed up because we have been caught up on this "traditional" way of thinking. Since when did staying the same ever help anyone? Why do you think we were so good in the 90's? Was it because we lifted weights like every other program or was it because we put in an effort to change how we do things in order to be different then the teams we beat up on. Our athletic department needs more changes like this to even be competitive nowadays. Instead of always trying to stay the same which has gotten us nowhere lets make a change for the better.

• Fire 1